Want to know the best Bruce Dern movies? How about the worst Bruce Dern movies? Curious about Bruce Dern box office grosses or which Bruce Dern movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Bruce Dern movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which ones got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Bruce Dern (1936-) has had a wonderful movie career. Some Dern career highlights? He is a two Oscar® nominated actor. He has been in two Alfred Hitchcock movies. He shot John Wayne in the back in The Cowboys (1972). He was one of Tom Hanks’ crazy neighbors in The “Burbs (1986). He has worked with Jack Nicholson five times. His second ever movie starred Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland….just to name a few. Dern’s IMDb page shows 148 acting credits since 1960. This page will rank 56 Bruce Dern movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in North American theaters were not included in the rankings.
Drivel Part: (That is what my wife calls this part of the page). This weekend we have house guests. We have our granddaughter (Natalie) and daughter-in-law (Abby) from Alaska and my son’s mother-in-law (Erin) from New Mexico staying with us as they attend a family wedding in Virginia. Some how I got into a conversation with Erin about our website. Erin said …”Do you have a page on Bruce Dern?”. Well 6 hours ago when she poised that question the answer was no….but now the answer is yes!
Bruce Dern Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort by Bruce Dern movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Bruce Dern movies by adjusted actual box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Bruce Dern movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Bruce Dern movies by either yearly domestic box office rank or trivia for that movie
- Sort Bruce Dern movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Bruce Dern movie received.
- Sort Bruce Dern movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the search and sort buttons to make this page very interactive.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||Co-Stars||Adjusted B.O. Domestic (mils.)||Box Office Rank By Year or Trivia||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Django Unchained (2012)||Leonardo DiCaprio & Jamie Foxx||$172.40||16th of 2012||88.0%||05 / 02||73.80|
|Nebraska (2013)||June Squibb & Will Forte||$18.30||Best Actor Oscar Nominee||85.5%||06 / 00||54.03|
|Wild River (1960)||Montgomery Clift||$44.50||66th of 1960||83.5%||00 / 00||46.14|
|They Shoot Horses Don't They? (1969)||Jane Fonda & Gig Young||$100.10||Gig Young won Oscar for movie||81.5%||09 / 01||58.64|
|Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964)||Bette Davis & Olivia de Havilland||$96.10||22nd of 1965||80.0%||07 / 00||55.30|
|The Hateful Eight (2015)||Kurt Russell & Samuel L. Jackson||$54.00||54th of 2015||78.0%||03 / 01||46.89|
|Monster (2003)||Charlize Theron||$48.20||Theron won Oscar for movie||77.5%||01 / 01||44.74|
|Hang 'em High (1968)||Clint Eastwood||$95.00||20th of 1968||77.3%||00 / 00||51.07|
|From Up On Poppy Hill (2011)||Jamie Lee Curtis & Beau Bridges||$1.10||Voice Role Only||77.0%||00 / 00||36.36|
|Coming Home (1978)||Jane Fonda & Jon Voight||$117.60||36th of 1978||77.0%||08 / 03||68.05|
|The Cowboys (1972)||John Wayne||$112.70||12th of 1972||77.0%||00 / 00||53.66|
|Will Penny (1968)||Charlton Heston||$33.10||54th of 1968||76.5%||00 / 00||41.09|
|Smile (1975)||Barbara "Agent 99" Feldon||$12.50||Melanie Griffith 3rd movie||75.5%||00 / 00||37.42|
|The Driver (1978)||Ryan O''''Neal||$18.00||82nd of 1978||75.0%||00 / 00||38.04|
|The War Wagon (1967)||John Wayne & Kirk Douglas||$105.90||15th of 1967||73.3%||00 / 00||50.88|
|Family Plot (1976)||Directed by Alfred Hitchcock||$91.00||26th of 1976||73.3%||00 / 00||48.57|
|The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967)||Jason Robards & George Segal||$29.60||58th of 1967||73.0%||00 / 00||38.90|
|Posse (1975)||Kirk Douglas||$10.60||Of of 2 Kirk/Bruce movies||72.0%||00 / 00||35.48|
|Marnie (1964)||Directed by Alfred Hitchcock||$70.50||30th of 1964||72.0%||00 / 00||44.77|
|Black Sunday (1977)||Robert Shaw||$59.60||22nd of 1977||71.0%||00 / 00||42.61|
|Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)||James Garner & Walter Brennan||$67.10||20th of 1969||70.0%||00 / 00||43.30|
|After Dark My Sweet (1990)||Jason Patric & Rachel Ward||$5.30||137th of 1990||68.0%||00 / 00||32.78|
|Silent Running (1972)||Cliff Potts||$22.50||77th of 1972||67.0%||00 / 00||34.98|
|The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)||Jack Nicholson||$14.30||Jack & Bruce play brothers||65.5%||00 / 00||33.00|
|The Laughing Policeman (1973)||Walter Matthau||$25.30||69th of 1974||64.0%||00 / 00||34.00|
|Believe in Me (2007)||Jeffrey Donovan & Samantha Manthis||$0.30||327th of 2007||63.5%||00 / 00||29.89|
|Waterhole #3 (1966)||James Coburn||$23.90||73rd of 1967||61.5%||00 / 00||32.60|
|Drive He Said (1972)||Karen Black||$12.80||Directed by Jack Nicholson||61.0%||00 / 00||30.65|
|That Championship Season (1982)||Robert Mitchum & Martin Sheen||$7.40||Written by Exorcist priest Jason Miller||60.5%||00 / 00||29.59|
|Diggstown (1992)||James Woods & Louis Gossett Jr.||$9.80||127th of 1992||60.5%||00 / 00||29.96|
|The Astronaut Farmer (2007)||Billly Bob Thornton & Bruce Willis||$13.50||157th of 2007||59.5%||00 / 00||30.05|
|Number One (1969)||Charlton Heston||$17.00||88th of 1969||59.0%||00 / 00||30.37|
|Middle Age Crazy (1980)||Ann-Margret||$45.20||55th of 1980||58.5%||00 / 00||34.50|
|Down in the Valley (2006)||Edward Norton||$0.70||250th of 2006||58.5%||00 / 00||27.62|
|Tattoo (1981)||Maud Adams||$2.60||One of the few Maud Adams Post James Bond movies||58.5%||00 / 00||27.89|
|Psych-Out (1968)||Jack Nicholson||$10.00||2nd of 5 Jack/Bruce movies||58.5%||00 / 00||29.04|
|The Trip (1967)||Peter Fonda & Susan Strasberg||$95.80||24th of 1967||56.5%||00 / 00||41.41|
|Madison (2005)||Jim Caviezel||$0.70||255th of 2005||56.5%||00 / 00||26.67|
|The Wild Angels (1966)||Peter Fonda & Nancy Sinatra||$134.10||12th of 1966||56.0%||00 / 00||47.11|
|Milwaukee Minnesota (2003)||Troy Garity & Randy Quaid||$0.04||437th of 2003||56.0%||00 / 00||26.32|
|The 'Burbs (1989)||Tom Hanks||$77.70||34th of 1989||55.5%||00 / 00||38.74|
|1969 (1988)||Robert Downey Jr.||$12.30||119th of 1988||55.5%||00 / 00||28.02|
|The Big Town (1987)||Tommy Lee Jones & Matt Dillon||$3.70||146th of 1987||54.5%||00 / 00||26.19|
|Small Soldiers (1998)||Tommy Lee Jones & Denis Leary||$98.30||41st of 1998||54.0%||00 / 00||40.62|
|Castle Keep (1969)||Burt Lancaster||$30.50||59th of 1969||52.0%||00 / 00||29.17|
|Down Periscope (1996)||Kelsey Grammer||$49.20||63rd of 1996||51.5%||00 / 00||31.83|
|Won Ton Ton: The Dog Who Saved Hollywood (1976)||Virginia Mayo||$14.40||Many Old Hollywood cameos||51.0%||00 / 00||26.20|
|The Great Gatsby (1974)||Robert Redford & Mia Farrow||$194.00||8th of 1974||50.0%||02 / 02||56.82|
|Wild Bill (1995)||Jeff Bridges||$4.30||177th of 1995||49.5%||00 / 00||23.98|
|Last Man Standing (1996)||Bruce Willis & Christopher Walken||$34.60||88th of 1996||49.0%||00 / 00||28.72|
|The Glass House (2001)||Diane Lane & Stellan Skarsgård||$27.10||105th of 2001||48.5%||00 / 00||27.00|
|The Golden Boys (2009)||David Carradine & Rip Torn||$0.03||375th of 2009||48.0%||00 / 00||22.56|
|All the Pretty Horses (2000)||Penelope Cruz & Matt Damon||$24.30||108th of 2000||45.0%||00 / 00||24.89|
|Bloody Mama (1970)||Robert DeNiro & Shelley Winters||$18.50||56th of 1970||44.0%||00 / 00||23.55|
|Masked and Anonymous (2003)||Jeff Bridges & Bob Dylan||$0.70||223rd of 2003||40.0%||00 / 00||18.92|
|The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (1971)||Casey Kasem||$3.90||Double bill with Scream and Scream Again||37.0%||00 / 00||17.99|
|The Haunting (1999)||Liam Neeson & Bruce Dern||$152.30||23rd of 1999||31.5%||00 / 00||38.65|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Bruce Dern Table
- Eight Bruce Dern movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 14.03% of his movies listed. Django Unchained (2012) is his biggest hit.
- An average Bruce Dern movie grosses $44.60 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 29 of Bruce Dern’s movies are rated as good movies…or 50.87% of his movies. Django Unchained (2012) is his highest rated movie while The Haunting (1999) is his lowest rated movie.
- Eight Bruce Dern movie received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 14.03% of his movies.
- Six Bruce Dern movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 10.52% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Ranking Score is 39.86. 20 Bruce Dern movies scored higher than that average….or 35.08% of his movies. Django Unchained (2012)) got the the highest UMR Score while The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (1971) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Bruce Dern
1. Bruce Dern was born in Chicago, Illinois.
2. Bruce Dern’s grandfather was George Dern. George Dern was a former Governor of Utah & President Franklin D. Roosevelt‘s first Secretary of War.
3. Bruce Dern is an alumnus of New Trier Township High School East, Winnetka, Illinois. Other New Trier graduates include Ralph Bellamy, Charlton Heston, Rock Hudson, Hugh B. O’Brien, Virginia Madsen and Ann-Margret.
4. Bruce Dern has been nominated for two acting Oscars®. Dern earned a Best Supporting Actor nomination for 1978’s Coming Home and a Best Actor nomination for 2013’s Nebraska.
5. Bruce Dern has been nominated for three acting Golden Globes®. Dern has earned two Best Supporting Actor nomination for 1974’s The Great Gatsby and 1978’s Coming Home and a Best Actor nomination for 2013’s Nebraska.
6. When Bruce Dern shot John Wayne in the back in 1972’s The Cowboys….Dern received death threats.
7. Bruce Dern has appeared in three films that were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar®: Coming Home (1978), Django Unchained (2012) and Nebraska (2013). Will The Hateful Eight join this list?
8. Bruce Dern has been married three times. His second marriage was to actress, Diane Ladd. They had two children. Their youngest child is actress, Laura “Jurassic Park” Dern.
9. Bruce Dern Is one of two actors to appear in movies directed by Alfred Hitchcock and Quentin Tarantino. Rod Taylor is the other actor.
10. Check out Bruce Dern‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.