Want to know the best Charles Laughton movies? How about the worst Charles Laughton movies? Curious about Charles Laughton’s box office grosses or which Charles Laughton movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Charles Laughton movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Charles Laughton (1899-1962) might have been the greatest character actor of all-time. Laughton went from being a hotel clerk to studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art to stage success on London stages to becoming an Oscar® winning actor in Hollywood. Laughton starred in over 50 movies from 1929 to 1962.
His IMDb page shows 65 acting credits from 1928-1962. This page currently ranks 45 Charles Laughton movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies not released in North America were not included in the rankings.
Charles Laughton Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Charles Laughton movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Charles Laughton movies by actual domestic box office grosses
- Sort Charles Laughton movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Charles Laughton movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations each Charles Laughton movie received and how many Oscar® wins each Charles Laughton movie won.
- Sort Charles Laughton movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the search and sort button to make this page very interactive.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Box Office Rank by Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)||Clark Gable||$286.50||1st of 1935||86.00%||08 / 01||86.22|
|Witness for the Prosecution (1957)||Marlene Dietrich & Tyrone Power||$163.40||15th of 1958||91.00%||06 / 00||78.50|
|Spartacus (1960)||Kirk Douglas||$387.50||3rd of 1960||88.00%||06 / 04||78.41|
|Hunchback of Notre Dame, The (1939)||Maureen O'Hara||$180.60||18th of 1939||83.50%||02 / 00||68.03|
|Private Life of Henry VIII, The (1933)||Robert Donat||$89.00||19th of 1933||79.00%||02 / 01||65.33|
|Tales of Manhatten (1942)||Henry Fonda & Rita Hayworth||$207.60||19th of 1942||73.00%||00 / 00||65.31|
|Les Miserables (1935)||Frederic March||$119.90||14th of 1935||81.50%||04 / 00||61.48|
|Sign of the Cross, The (1932)||Claudette Colbert & Directed by Cecil B. DeMille||$299.90||1st of 1932||62.00%||01 / 00||60.54|
|Salome (1953)||Rita Hayworth||$202.20||12th of 1953||59.50%||00 / 00||58.96|
|If I Had A Million (1932)||Gary Cooper||$138.40||9th of 1932||77.00%||00 / 00||57.64|
|Barretts of Wimpole Street, The (1934)||Norma Shearer||$131.70||5th of 1934||71.00%||02 / 00||57.58|
|Suspect, The (1944)||Ella Raines||$141.00||61st of 1944||74.00%||00 / 00||56.64|
|Canterville Ghost, The (1944)||Robert Young||$148.30||57th of 1944||71.50%||00 / 00||56.59|
|Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)||Mary Boland||$100.40||34th of 1935||79.50%||01 / 00||56.32|
|Big Clock, The (1948)||Ray Milland & Maureen O''''Sullivan||$110.90||63rd of 1948||81.00%||00 / 00||55.26|
|Stand By For Action (1942)||Walter Brennan||$167.20||28th of 1942||59.00%||01 / 00||54.05|
|This Land Is Mine (1943)||Maureen O'Hara||$112.40||78th of 1943||73.00%||01 / 01||52.73|
|It Started With Eve (1941)||Deanna Durbin||$87.40||72nd of 1941||82.00%||01 / 00||52.49|
|Blue Veil, The (1951)||Natalie Wood & Jane Wyman||$106.00||32nd of 1951||72.50%||02 / 00||51.30|
|Paradine Case, The (1947)||Gregory Peck & Directed by Alfred Hitchcock||$135.50||53rd of 1948||62.00%||01 / 00||50.54|
|Jamaica Inn (1939)||Maureen O'Hara & Directed by Alfred Hitchcock||$151.00||25th of 1939||53.50%||00 / 00||48.54|
|Advise & Consent (1962)||Henry Fonda||$64.20||45th of 1962||80.00%||00 / 00||47.55|
|Island of Lost Souls, The (1932)||Bela Lugosi||$62.40||45th of 1932||78.50%||00 / 00||46.56|
|Because of Him (1946)||Deanna Durbin||$84.60||80th of 1946||71.00%||00 / 00||46.48|
|Night of the Hunter, The (1955)||Robert Mitchum||$13.90||156th of 1955||90.00%||00 / 00||44.45|
|Hobson's Choice (1954)||David Niven||$31.40||110th of 1954||83.50%||00 / 00||44.11|
|Sidewalks of London (1938)||Vivien Leigh||$68.70||89th of 1938||69.50%||00 / 00||43.31|
|Bribe, The (1949)||Ava Gardner||$84.90||82nd of 1949||59.50%||00 / 00||41.12|
|Forever And A Day (1943)||Ray Milland & Claude Rains||$70.30||91st of 1943||64.00%||00 / 00||40.98|
|Young Bess (1953)||Stewart Granger & Deborah Kerr||$70.00||65th of 1953||62.00%||02 / 00||40.79|
|Under Ten Flags (1960)||Van Heflin||$34.90||79th of 1960||73.00%||00 / 00||39.72|
|Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd (1952)||Abbott & Costello||$85.20||56th of 1953||56.00%||00 / 00||39.53|
|Captain Kidd (1945)||Randolph Scott||$69.20||69th of 1945||59.50%||01 / 00||39.09|
|Arch of Triumph (1948)||Ingrid Bergman||$94.30||74th of 1948||52.00%||00 / 00||39.06|
|Rembrandt (1936)||Elsa Lanchester||$28.80||117th of 1936||72.50%||00 / 00||38.53|
|Devil and the Deep (1932)||Gary Cooper & Cary Grant||$56.40||42nd of 1932||62.00%||00 / 00||37.88|
|Beachcomber, The (1938)||Elsa Lanchester||$57.20||103rd of 1938||61.00%||00 / 00||37.54|
|Payment Deferred (1932)||Maureen O''''Sullivan & Ray Milland||$18.50||90th of 1932||72.00%||00 / 00||36.71|
|O'Henry's Full House (1952)||Marilyn Monroe||$42.60||116th of 1952||64.00%||00 / 00||36.68|
|Tuttles of Tahiti, The (1942)||Jon Hall||$50.80||80th of 1941||61.00%||00 / 00||36.54|
|Man on the Eiffel Tower, The (1949)||Burgess Meredith||$69.10||93rd of 1949||54.00%||00 / 00||36.09|
|White Woman (1933)||Carole Lombard||$53.80||49th of 1933||58.50%||00 / 00||35.83|
|They Knew What They Wanted (1940)||Carole Lombard||$49.60||107th of 1940||56.50%||01 / 00||34.65|
|Man From Down Under, The (1943)||Donna Reed||$44.60||105th of 1943||58.00%||00 / 00||34.17|
|Girl From Manhattan (1948)||Dorothy Lamour||$52.90||114th of 1948||51.00%||00 / 00||32.17|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Charles Laughtonl Table
- Nineteen Charles Laughton movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 42.22% of his movies listed. Spartacus (1960) was his biggest box office hit.
- An average Charles Laughton movie grosses $107.20 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 33 Charles Laughton movies are rated as good movies…or 73.33% of his movies. Witness for the Prosecution (1957) is his highest rated movie while Girl From Manhattan (1948) is his lowest rated movie.
- Seventeen Charles Laughton movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 37.77% of his movies.
- Four Charles Laughton movie won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 8.88% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 30 Charles Laughton movies scored higher that average….or 66.66% of his movies. Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) got the the highest UMR Score while Girl From Manhattan (1948) got the lowest UMR Score.
Adjusted Worldwide Grosses on 12 Charles Laughton Movies
- Barretts of Wimpole Street, The (1934) $245.70 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Bribe, The (1949) $135.90 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Forever And A Day (1943) $156.30 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Man From Down Under, The (1943) $85.60 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) $508.50 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Payment Deferred (1932) $33.50 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Stand By For Action (1942) $266.20 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- They Knew What They Wanted (1940) $73.30 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Tuttles of Tahiti, The (1942) $73.40 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Under Ten Flags (1960) $53.10 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- White Woman (1933) $54.00 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Young Bess (1953) $183.00 million in adjusted worldwide gross
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences. Golden Globes® are the registered trademark of the Hollywood Foreign Press.