Want to know the best Charlie Chaplin movies? How about the worst Charlie Chaplin movies? Curious about Charlie Chaplin’s box office grosses or which Charlie Chaplin movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Charlie Chaplin movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
One of our goals here at Ultimate Movie Rankings is do a career movie page on every member of the American Film Institute’s Top 50 Greatest Screen Legends list. Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977) is ranked as the 10th greatest actor on that list. This Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977) page is the 34th completed page…..so we are now 68% done with our goal.
Charles “Charlie” Chaplin, was an English comic actor and filmmaker who rose to fame in movie shorts from Mack Sennett’s Keystone Studios. Chaplin and his screen persona “the Tramp” became a worldwide icon. From his start in shorts, he turned his attention to full length movies. Between 1921 and 1940, Chaplin would star, write, produce, direct and compose the music for some of the greatest movies ever made!
His IMDb page shows 86 acting credits from 1914-1967. This page will rank 12 Charlie Chaplin full length movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, his many shorts and cameos were not included in the rankings.
Charlie Chaplin Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Charlie Chaplin movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Charlie Chaplin movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Charlie Chaplin movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Charlie Chaplin movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations each Charlie Chaplin movie received and how many Oscar® wins each Charlie Chaplin movie won.
- Sort Charlie Chaplin movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||The Great Dictator (1940)
AA Best Picture Nom
AA Best Actor Nom
|Paulette Goddard||10.00||308.9||308.90||3||91||05 / 00||99.1|
|2||Modern Times (1936)||Paulette Goddard||10.00||346.0||346.00||3||95||00 / 00||98.0|
|3||The Kid (1921)||Jackie Coogan||11.70||483.5||483.50||2||91||00 / 00||97.6|
|4||The Gold Rush (1925)||Mack Swain||13.30||426.3||426.30||3||90||00 / 00||97.4|
|5||The Circus (1928)||Merna Kennedy||11.30||288.3||288.30||3||89||00 / 00||97.3|
|6||City Lights (1931)||Virginia Cherrill||9.90||405.8||405.80||1||88||00 / 00||97.2|
|7||Monsieur Verdoux (1947)
AA Best Writing Nom
|Mady Correll &
|2.30||53.7||53.70||126||86||01 / 00||78.1|
|8||A Woman of Paris (1923)||Edna Purviance||1.30||45.8||45.80||7||81||00 / 00||71.7|
AA Best Music Win
|Buster Keaton||0.50||7.9||7.90||182||88||01 / 01||67.8|
|10||Till's Punctured Romance (1914)||Marie Dressler||0.80||55.3||55.30||4||68||00 / 00||61.5|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Charlie Chaplin Table
- Six Charlie Chaplin movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 50.00% of his movies listed. The Gold Rush (1925) was his biggest box office ht when looking at adjusted domestic box office gross.
- An average Charlie Chaplin movie grosses $194.90 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 11 of Charlie Chaplin’s movies are rated as good movies…or 91.66% of his movies. The Great Dictator (1940) is his highest rated movie while A Countess from Hong Kong (1967) was his lowest rated movie.
- Three Charlie Chaplin movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 37.50% of his movies. 4 of his movies came before Oscars® started.
- One Charlie Chaplin movie won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 12.50% of his movies. 4 of his movies came before Oscars® started.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 9 Charlie Chaplin movies scored higher than that average….or 75.00% of his movies. The Great Dictator (1940) got the the highest Cogerson Movie Score while A Countess from Hong Kong (1967) got the lowest Cogerson Movie Score.
Check out Charlie Chaplin’s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time. A fun Charlie Chaplin website to check out is Steve Lensman’s Charlie Chaplin Movie Posters. Lots of hard to find Chaplin posters including many of his shorts.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
AFI’s Top 25 Screen Legend Actors….with links to my movie pages on the Screen Legend
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.