Want to know the best Charlton Heston movies? How about the worst Charlton Heston movies? Curious about Charlton Heston’s box office grosses or which Charlton Heston movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Charlton Heston movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Charlton Heston (October 4, 1923 – April 5, 2008) is known for his heroic roles in films such as 1961’s El Cid, 1956’s The Ten Commandments, 1968’s Planet of the Apes and 1959’s Ben-Hur, for which he won the Oscar® for Best Actor. At one point, Heston had starred in three of the top eight movies of all-time. Those movies were Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur and The Greatest Show on Earth. Heston remained a leading man from 1950 until the early 1980s. After that he started appearing in supporting roles in such movies as True Lies, Any Given Sunday and Tombstone.
His IMDb page shows 131 acting credits from 1941-2010. This page will rank 61 Charlton Heston movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in theaters were not included in the rankings.
Charlton Heston Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Charlton Heston movies by his co-stars
- Sort Charlton Heston movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Charlton Heston movies by yearly box office rank
- Sort Charlton Heston movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Charlton Heston movie received.
- Sort Charlton Heston movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
AA Best Picture Win
AA Best Actor Win
|Stephen Boyd||60.40||871.0||871.00||1||92||12 / 11||99.9|
|2||The Ten Commandments (1956)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Yul Brynner &
|73.20||1,151.9||2,765.60||1||85||07 / 01||98.8|
|5||The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)
AA Best Picture Win
|James Stewart||34.00||535.2||535.20||2||64||05 / 02||98.6|
|3||Planet of the Apes (1968)||Roddy McDowall||42.90||283.0||283.00||8||86||02 / 00||97.2|
|4||El Cid (1961)||Sophia Loren||34.30||400.8||400.80||4||82||03 / 00||97.2|
|6||The Big Country (1958)||Gregory Peck &
Directed by William Wyler
|10.60||153.4||153.40||11||89||02 / 01||94.5|
|7||True Lies (1994)||Arnold Schwarzenegger||146.30||310.1||803.30||3||71||01 / 00||93.2|
|8||The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Diamonds (1973)||Oliver Reed||34.60||169.3||169.30||11||78||00 / 00||93.1|
|9||Midway (1976)||Henry Fonda &
|65.50||265.9||265.90||5||60||00 / 00||88.8|
|11||Earthquake (1974)||Ava Gardner||102.60||474.5||474.50||4||46||04 / 01||86.2|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Charlton Heston Table
- Twenty-three Charlton Heston movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 37.77% of his movies listed. The Ten Commandments (1956) was his biggest box office hit.
- An average Charlton Heston movie grosses $127.50 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 34 of Charlton Heston’s movies are rated as good movies…or 55.73% of his movies. Touch of Evil (1958) is his highest rated movie while Town and Country (2001) was his lowest rated movie.
- Twenty Charlton Heston movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 32.78% of his movies.
- Five Charlton Heston’s movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 8.19% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 39.86. 33 Charlton Heston movies scored higher that average….or 54.09% of his movies. Ben-Hur (1959) got the the highest UMR Score while Town and Country (2001) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Charlton Heston
1. Charlton Heston was born John Charles Carter….Charlton’s name comes from his mom’s maiden name, Charlton, and his stepfather’s last name, Heston.
2. Charlton Heston turned down the role of “Police Chief Brody” in Jaws. Other movies he turned down over the years….John Wayne’s The Alamo, A Man For All Seasons, The Wild Bunch, The Omen, Deliverance and Stalag 17
3. Charlton Heston only received one Oscar® nomination in his acting career but he made it count as won the Oscar® for Ben-Hur…..luckily Burt Lancaster turned down the role.
4. Charlton Heston had two parts in The Ten Commandments……Moses and he provided the voice of God……years later he was hired by the F.B.I during the April 1993 Waco stand-off with cult leader David Koresh, to play the voice of God while communicating with him. However the plan was never used.
5. Charlton Heston played President Andrew Jackson twice in two separate unrelated films: The President’s Lady in 1953 and The Buccaneer in 1958.
6. Charlton Heston was also known for his political activism. In the 1950s and 1960s he was one of a handful of Hollywood actors to speak openly against racism and was an active supporter of the Civil Rights Movement. He was also president of the NRA from 1998 to 2003.
7. Charlton Heston was married to Lydia Clarke from 1944 until his death in 2008…they had two children.
8. In his 1985 autobiography “In The Arena” Charlton Heston wrote that 1972’s The Call of the Wild was easily his worst film, and hoped the public would never have to watch the film.
9. His line “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!” from Planet of the Apes, is ranked by the American Film Institute as the 66th best movie quote of all-time.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.