Want to know the best Daniel Day-Lewis movies? How about the worst Daniel Day-Lewis movies? Curious about Daniel Day-Lewis’ box office grosses or curious which Daniel Day-Lewis movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations and Oscar® wins? Need to know which Daniel Day-Lewis movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have ranked all of his movies Best to Worst in 4 different categories.
Daniel Day-Lewis (1957-) seems to be the polar opposite of Adam Sandler. Sandler’s movies are generally hated by critics but pull in the masses when they open in theaters. Meanwhile Day-Lewis’ movies are loved…and I mean a deep love….by critics and by Oscar voters®….. but generally fail to put much of a dent at the box office. If you could merge Sandler’s box office with Day-Lewis critical approval you would have the greatest movie star ever. Coming to theaters near you Daniel Day-Sandler in Gangs of Waterboys.
Daniel Day-Lewis is the only actor to ever win 3 Best Actor Oscars®. Even more amazing than his record breaking Oscar® glory is the fact that he has only acted in 16 theatrical movies since 1982. His IMDb page shows 28 acting credits since 1971. After taking away his television appearances and straight to DVD movies we are left with 16 movies to rank. In the table below, Ultimate Movie Rankings ranks those 16 movies in 6 different sortable columns.
Daniel Day-Lewis Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Daniel Day-Lewis movies by his co-stars of the movie
- Sort Daniel Day-Lewis movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Daniel Day-Lewis movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Daniel Day-Lewis movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Daniel Day-Lewis movie received.
- Sort Daniel Day-Lewis movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Box Office Rank by Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Lincoln (2012)||Sally Field & Directed by Steven Spielberg||$193.00||13th of 2012||84.50%||12 / 02||87.07|
|Gandhi (1982)||Ben Kingsley & Martin Sheen||$151.30||12th of 1982||85.00%||11 / 08||73.90|
|There Will Be Blood (2007)||Paul Dano||$49.30||66th of 2007||86.50%||08 / 02||65.45|
|Gangs of New York (2002)||Leonardo DiCaprio & Liam Neeson||$113.10||35th of 2002||74.50%||10 / 00||64.86|
|Last of the Mohicans, The (1992)||Madeleine Stowe||$153.40||17th of 1992||84.50%||01 / 01||64.72|
|In the Name of the Father (1993)||Emma Thompson & Pete Postlethwaite||$51.10||61st of 1993||87.50%||07 / 01||60.89|
|My Left Foot (1989)||Brenda Fricker||$31.30||68th of 1989||86.50%||05 / 02||59.64|
|Room with a View, A (1986)||Maggie Smith & Denholm Elliott||$47.60||44th of 1986||83.50%||08 / 03||54.50|
|Age of Innocence, The (1993)||Michelle Pfeiffer & Winona Ryder||$65.70||50th of 1993||77.00%||05 / 01||49.59|
|Unbearable Lightness of Being, The (1988)||Juliette Binoche||$20.50||88th of 1988||82.00%||02 / 00||43.10|
|Bounty, The (1984)||Mel Gibson & Anthony Hopkins||$21.60||83rd of 1984||75.00%||00 / 00||38.66|
|My Beautiful Laundrette (1986)||Saeed Jaffrey||$5.60||138th of 1986||78.50%||01 / 00||38.16|
|Boxer, The (1997)||Daragh Donnelly||$11.00||138th of 1997||73.00%||00 / 00||37.91|
|Crucible, The (1996)||Joan Allen||$14.00||137th of 1996||68.00%||02 / 00||34.93|
|Nine (2009)||Nicole Kidman & Sophia Loren||$22.10||109th of 2009||48.00%||04 / 00||29.47|
|Ballad of Jack and Rose, The (2005)||Camilla Belle & Paul Dano||$0.90||235th of 2005||57.50%||00 / 00||27.18|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Daniel Day-Lewis Table
- 4 of Daniel Day-Lewis’s movies crossed the magical $100 million mark. That is a percentage of 25.00% of his movies listed.
- An average Daniel Day-Lewis movie grosses $59.50 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 14 of Daniel Day-Lewis’s movies are rated as good movies…or 87.50% of his movies.
- 13 of Daniel Day-Lewis’s movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 81.25% of his movies.
- 8 of Daniel Day-Lewis’s movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 50.00% of his movies.
- Daniel Day-Lewis has appeared in 7 movies that were nominated for a Best Picture Oscar®….1982’s Gandhi, 1986’s A Room With A View, 1989’s My Left Foot, 1993’s In The Name Of The Father, 2002’s Gangs of New York, 2007’s There Will Be Blood, and 2012’s Lincoln.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 39.86. 10 of Daniel Day-Lewis’s movies scored higher that average….or 62.50% of his movies.
Possibly interesting things about Daniel Day-Lewis
1. Daniel Day-Lewis was born in London, England on April 29, 1957.
2. Daniel Day-Lewis’s track to stardom. Day-Lewis studied acting at the Bristol Old Vic School. He got his first screen appearance in 1971’s Sunday Bloody Sunday. Eleven years later he appeared in a brief scene in Gandhi. From there he got a supporting role in 1984’s The Bounty. His role in The Bounty lead to critical received acting roles in two 1986 movies…My Beautiful Laundrette and A Room With A View. Since then it has been one award winning performance after another.
3. Daniel Day-Lewis has married one time…to Rebecca Miller (1996-). They got married in 1996 and have two children. That made writer Arthur Miller his father-in-law.
4. Daniel Day-Lewis has been nominated for 5 Best Actor Oscars®. He won for 1989’s My Left Foot, 2007’s There Will Be Blood, and 2012’s Lincoln. His other two nominations were for 1993’s In The Name Of The Father and 2002’s Gangs of New York.
5. Daniel Day-Lewis is tied with Walter Brennan, Jack Nicholson, Ingrid Bergman, Meryl Streep for 2nd place with 3 acting Oscars®. Katharine Hepburn is the leader with 4 acting Oscars®.
6. Daniel Day-Lewis is a legend when it comes to how he prepares for a role.
- Killed all his own food for Last Of The Mohicans
- Learned an entirely new language for The Unbearable Lightness Of Being
- Broke his own ribs for My Left Foot
- Lived as an 1870s gentleman for The Age of Innocence
- Went to prison for In The Name Of The Father
- Didn’t wash for The Crucible
- Became a professional-standard boxer for The Boxer
- Left his wife for The Ballad Of Jack And Rose
- For more detailed information on these points check out this link.
7. Some quotes: “He is widely acclaimed for his meticulous acting, which he worked on like a mad scientist who works on an invention” and “His total attention to externals, makeup, hair, clothing, manner of walking, gesturing and speech are mind boggling”. Sound like these quotes would accurately describe Daniel Day-Lewis….but they are actually quotes about Oscar® winning actor Paul Muni. Muni was a movie star in the 1930s and 1940s who was probably the first method actor. Seems that Day-Lewis is following in the footsteps of Muni when it comes preparing for a movie role.
8. Roles Daniel Day-Lewis turned down or was seriously considered for: Batman Begins (Christian Bale part), The English Patient (Ralph Fiennes part), Interview With A Vampire (Tom Cruise part), Philadelphia (Tom Hanks part), Sleepy Hollow (Johnny Depp part), Pulp Fiction (John Travolta part) and Lord of the Rings trilogy (Viggo Mortensen part).
9. Is one of 8 actors to have won the Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Critics’ Choice Award, Golden Globe Award and SAG Award for the same performance.
10. Currently Daniel Day-Lewis does not have a new movie listed on IMDb.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences. Golden Globes® are the registered trademark and service mark of the Hollywood Foreign Press.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.