Want to know the best Gene Wilder movies? How about the worst Gene Wilder movies? Curious about Gene Wilder box office grosses or which Gene Wilder movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Gene Wilder movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Gene Wilder (1933-2016) was a 2-time Oscar nominated actor, writer and director. Wilder gained fame for his many movies with Mel Brooks (The Producers, Blazing Saddles & Young Frankenstein) but to many like me he will always be Willy Wonka. Wilder’s IMDb page shows 37 acting credits from 1961-2015. This page will rank 22 Gene Wilder movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television roles, cameos, shorts and straight to DVD movies were not included in the rankings.
Drivel Part: Recently we wrote a page on Wilder’s frequent co-star, Richard Pryor. While doing that research on that page, we thought Gene Wilder would make a good UMR movie star page. Sadly today, August 29th 2016 brings the sad news that Gene Wilder passed away at 83. So as a tribute to his movie career….we put together this page. Rest in peace Mr. Wilder…you will be missed. Drivel Part 2: Wow within a 25 minute window…a got an e-mail from Steve Lensman, a text from my wife and a phone call from son #2 about his passing.
Gene Wilder Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Gene Wilder movies by his co-stars
- Sort Gene Wilder movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Gene Wilder movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Gene Wilder movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Gene Wilder movie received.
- Sort Gene Wilder movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Warren Beatty &
|57.00||407.5||407.50||4||87||10 / 02||99.3|
|2||Young Frankenstein (1974)
AA Best Writing Nom
|Directed by Mel Brooks||117.60||544.2||544.20||2||88||02 / 00||97.5|
|3||Blazing Saddles (1974)||Directed by Mel Brooks||121.50||562.0||562.00||1||81||03 / 00||96.4|
|4||Silver Streak (1976)||Richard Pryor||51.10||207.4||207.40||10||78||01 / 00||95.3|
|5||Stir Crazy (1980)||Richard Pryor||101.30||337.0||337.00||3||68||00 / 00||92.0|
|7||Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask (1972)||Woody Allen &
|25.80||131.1||131.10||10||78||00 / 00||87.0|
|8||The Producers (1967)
AA Best Supp Actor Nom
|Zero Mostel &
Directed by Mel Brooks
|6.70||47.9||47.90||37||88||02 / 01||79.4|
|6||Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)||Jack Albertson||12.10||63.5||63.50||25||83||01 / 00||77.9|
|9||The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1975)||Madeline Kahn &
|28.50||120.2||120.20||18||62||00 / 00||75.6|
|10||See No Evil Hear No Evil (1989)||Richard Pryor||46.90||102.2||102.20||27||60||00 / 00||69.3|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Gene WilderTable
- Eight Gene Wilder movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 36.36% of his movies listed. Blazing Saddle (1974) was his biggest hit.
- An average Gene Wilder movie earned $126.50 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 20 of his movies are rated as good movies…or 80.85% of his movies. Young Frankenstein (1974) is his highest rated movie while Funny About Love (1990) is his lowest rated movie.
- Eight Gene Wilder movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 19.04% of his movies.
- Three Gene Wilder movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 13.63% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 11 Gene Wilder movies scored higher that average….or 50.00% of his movies. Young Frankenstein (1974) got the the highest UMR Score while Funny About Love (1996) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Gene Wilder
1. Jerome Silberman was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1933.
2. Jerome Silberman took Gene Wilder as his stage name when he was 26. “I had always liked Gene because of Thomas Wolfe’s character Eugene Gant in Look Homeward, Angel and Of Time and the River. And I was always a great admirer of Thornton Wilder.” – Gene Wilder
3. Gene Wilder served with the United States Army from 1956-1958…..serving in the Medical Corps section
4. Gene Wilder was nominated for 2 Oscars®: He received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for 1969’s The Producers and a Best Screenplay nomination for 1974’s Young Frankenstein. Wilder also received 2 Golden Globe® nominations: Best Actor nominations for 1971’s Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and 1976’s Silver Streak.
5. Gene Wilder starred with Richard Pryor in 4 movies: 1976’s Silver Streak, 1980’s Stir Crazy, 1989’s See No Evil, Hear No Evil and 1991’s Another You.
6. Gene Wilder’s performance as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein in 1974’s Young Frankenstein is ranked #9 on Premiere Magazine’s 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
7. Gene Wilder was married 4 times…he had one child. His 3rd marriage was to actress Gilda Radner.
8. Check out Gene Wilder’s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.