Want to know the best Greer Garson movies? How about the worst Greer Garson movies? Curious about Greer Garson box office grosses or which Greer Garson movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Greer Garson movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Greer Garson (1904-1996) was an English Oscar® winning film actress. She was one of the most popular stars working in the 1940s…appearing in 9 $100 million (adjusted gross) movies during that time decade, Greer Garson’s IMDb page shows 41 acting credits from 1934-1982. This page will rank 25 Greer Garson movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Her television appearances and short films were not included in the rankings.
Drivel part of the page: This Greer Garson page was requested by Chris and Flora. Thanks to the MGM Ledgers we were able to not only secure all of Garson’s domestic box office totals….but also most of her worldwide box office totals. As we were researching this page, the start of Garson’s career reminded us of the start of current star, Jennifer Lawrence. Both started their careers off with lots of box office hits and lots of Oscar® nomination. It will interesting to see if Lawrence’s career follows the same path that Garson’s career took.
Greer Garson Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Greer Garson movies by co-stars of her movies and by by Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Sort Greer Garson movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Greer Garson movies by domestic yearly box office rank
- Sort Greer Garson movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Greer Garson movies by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Greer Garson movie received.
- Blue link in Co-star column takes you to that star’s UMR movie page
|Rank||Movie (Year) / (UMR Score)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adjusted B.O. Domestic (mil)||Domestic Box Office Rank by Year||Adjusted B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win|
|Mrs. Miniver (1942) / (91.07)||Walter Pidgeon & Teresa Wright||$445.00||1st of 1942||$650.80||81.00%||12 / 06|
|Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939) / (80.76)||Robert Donat||$206.80||10th of 1939||$391.80||79.50%||07 / 01|
|Random Harvest (1942) / (76.04)||Ronald Colman & Susan Peters||$387.50||3rd of 1942||$611.20||83.50%||07 / 00|
|Madame Curie (1943) / (74.62)||Walter Pidgeon||$206.70||22nd of 1943||$370.70||72.50%||07 / 00|
|Mrs. Parkington (1944) / (70.61)||Agnes Moorehead & Walter Pidgeon||$260.20||11th of 1944||$478.20||73.00%||02 / 00|
|The Valley of Decision (1945) / (70.60)||Gregory Peck||$314.50||4th of 1945||$557.50||73.00%||02 / 00|
|Julia Misbehaves (1948) / (61.06)||Elizabeth Taylor||$163.50||31st of 1948||$249.50||76.00%||00 / 00|
|Blossoms in the Dust (1941) / (60.42)||Walter Pidgeon||$123.50||44th of 1941||$258.50||64.00%||04 / 01|
|Julius Caesar (1953) / (56.72)||Marlon Brando & James Mason||$86.00||49th of 1953||$167.00||82.00%||05 / 01|
|Pepe (1960) / (54.63)||Edward G. Robinson & Costumes by Edith Head||$167.60||15th of 1961||$221.60||55.00%||07 / 00|
|Adventure (1945) / (54.03)||Clark Gable||$292.70||8th of 1945||$419.70||49.00%||00 / 00|
|Pride and Prejudice (1940) / (52.65)||Laurence Olivier||$86.10||49th of 1940||$159.10||81.50%||01 / 01|
|That Forsyte Woman (1949) / (48.26)||Errol Flynn||$101.00||46th of 1949||$180.00||68.50%||01 / 00|
|Sunrise at Campobello (1960) / (46.05)||Ralph Bellamy||$34.90||79th of 1960||$34.90||73.50%||04 / 00|
|The Singing Nun (1965) / (44.11)||Debbie Reynolds||$84.90||28th of 1965||$85.10||65.00%||01 / 00|
|When Ladies Meet (1941) / (43.75)||Joan Crawford & Robert Taylor||$112.90||55th of 1941||$179.90||55.00%||01 / 00|
|The Happiest Millionaire (1967) / (42.80)||Fred MacMurray||$87.10||21st of 1968||$123.10||61.50%||01 / 00|
|Desire Me (1947) / (41.80)||Robert Mitchum||$89.30||70th of 1947||$158.30||59.50%||00 / 00|
|Strange Lady In Town (1955) / (41.37)||Dana Andrews||$92.60||60th of 1955||$121.60||57.50%||00 / 00|
|The Youngest Profession (1943) / (38.97)||Edward Arnold||$95.30||79th of 1943||$124.30||51.50%||00 / 00|
|Remember? (1939) / (36.20)||Robert Taylor||$66.80||82nd of 1939||$106.80||55.00%||00 / 00|
|The Miniver Story (1950) / (35.66)||Walter Pidgeon||$49.70||89th of 1950||$111.70||59.50%||00 / 00|
|Her Twelve Men (1954) / (33.89)||Robert Ryan||$42.80||130th of 1954||$73.80||58.00%||00 / 00|
|Scandal at Sourie (1953) / (32.89)||Walter Pidgeon||$33.30||107th of 1953||$69.30||59.00%||00 / 00|
|The Law And The Lady (1951) / (32.16)||Fernando Lamas||$27.10||106th of 1951||$66.10||59.50%||00 / 00|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Greer Garson Table
- Twelve Greer Garson movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 48.00% of her movies listed. Mrs. Miniver (1942) was her biggest box office hit.
- An average Greer Garson movie grossed $146.30 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 14 of Greer Garson’s movies are rated as good movies…or 69.44% of her movies. Random Harvest (1942) is her highest rated movie while Adventure (1945) is her lowest rated movie.
- Fifteen Greer Garson movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 60.00% of her movies.
- Five Greer Garson movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 20.00% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score is 40.00. 19 Greer Garson movie scored higher that average….or 76.00% of her movies.Mrs. Miniver (1942) got the the highest UMR Score while The Law And The Lady (1951) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Greer Garson
1. Eileen Evelyn Greer Garson was born in East Ham, Essex in 1904.
2. Greer Garson was tutored by Laurence Olivier during her theatre days in London.
3. Louis B. Mayer discovered Greer Garson while he was in London looking for new talent.
4. Talk about getting your career off to a good start: Garson received 6 Oscar® nominations during the first 7 years of her career.
5. Greer Garson holds the record with Bette Davis for most years in a row to receive an Oscar® nomination…..5 years in a row. Garson was nominated every year from 1941-1945. Davis did the same accomplishment 1938-1942.
6. Overall Greer Garson was nominated for 7 Oscars®. She won the Best Actress Oscar® for 1942’s Mrs. Miniver. Only twelve people received more acting nominations than her.
7. Greer Garson’s most famous movie is 1942’s Mrs. Miniver. Winston Churchill once said that Mrs. Miniver had done more for the war effort than a flotilla of destroyers.
8. Greer Garson was married three times. Her second marriage was to actor, Richard Ney. Ney and Garson co-starred in 1942’s Mrs. Miniver, they married after filming ended. Ney played her son in that movie. Greer had three step-children, adopted by her third husband, Buddy E.E. Fogelson, after his brother’s death.
9. Greer Garson played the wife of Walter Pidgeon a total of eight times; in 1941’s Blossoms in the Dust,1942’s Mrs. Miniver,1943’s Madame Curie, 1944’s Mrs. Parkington, 1948’s Julia Misbehaves , 1950’s The Miniver Story, 1949’s That Forsyte Woman and 1953’s Scandal at Scourie.
10. Greer Garsons’ cumulative movie totals: Adjusted domestic box office: $3.65 billion. Her movies received 62 Oscar® nominations….winning 10 times.
Check out Greer Garson‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences. Golden Globe® is a registered trademark.
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.