Want to know the best Greta Garbo movies? How about the worst Greta Garbo movies? Curious about Greta Garbo’s box office grosses or which Greta Garbo movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Greta Garbo movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Recently I decided to do a movie page on each person on the Top 50 Screen Legends of All-Time according to the American Film Institute. So I have now reached the 5th greatest actress of all-time Greta Garbo. I think I am a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to the subject of movies, but I must admit that I really did not know very much about Greta Garbo (1905-1990) when I started writing this hub. Prior to writing this movie page I had seen one of her movies, Grand Hotel, and had really only heard of 3 or 4 of her movies.
After appearing in a few Swedish films, Greta Garbo received a contract from MGM and moved to the United States in 1925. Over the next 15 years, Garbo would appear in 24 movies and become one of the most famous people in the world. After appearing in 1941’s Two-Faced Woman she stopped making movies, moved to New York City and pretty much stopped appearing in public….she passed away in 1990.
Her IMDb page shows 32 acting credits from 1920-1941. This page will rank 24 Greta Garbo movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Her eight movies made in Sweden are not included in the rankings…not because I do not like Swedish films….but because the movies never got released in North America.
Greta Garbo Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Greta Garbo movies by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Greta Garbo movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Greta Garbo movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Greta Garbo movies by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Greta Garbo movie received.
- Sort Greta Garbo movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- * = If Worldwide box office gross are the same as domestic box office then worldwide numbers are unknown
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|3||Grand Hotel (1932)
AA Best Picture Win
|Joan Crawford &
|3.50||138.7||291.4||11||82||01 / 01||98.0|
AA Best Picture Nom
AA Best Actress Nom
|Melvyn Douglas &
Written by Billy Wilder
|5.00||154.5||351.9||29||86||04 / 00||97.9|
AA Best Actress Nom
|Lionel Barrymore &
|4.80||167.7||362.4||20||81||01 / 00||92.8|
|5||Queen Christina (1933)||Ian Keith &
|2.20||82.4||280.5||28||85||00 / 00||82.3|
|4||Anna Christie (1930)
AA Best Actress Nom
|Charles Bickford &
|3.10||134.8||199.5||8||64||03 / 00||81.6|
|7||Susan Lenox (Her Fall and Rise) (1931)||Clark Gable &
|2.40||98.2||183.5||35||76||00 / 00||79.8|
|8||Anna Karenina (1935)||Fredric March &
|2.50||89.1||237.3||45||77||00 / 00||79.0|
|9||A Woman of Affairs (1928)||John Gilbert &
|2.80||72.1||116.2||13||80||01 / 00||77.6|
|10||Flesh and the Devil (1928)||John Gilbert &
|2.40||61.0||106.9||19||84||00 / 00||77.1|
|11||Mata Hari (1931)||Lionel Barrymore &
|3.00||123.3||281.3||16||62||00 / 00||76.9|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Greta Garbo Table
- Six Greta Garbo movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 25.00% of her movies listed. Anna Christie (1930) was her biggest domestic box office hit.
- An average Greta Garbo movie grosses $84.40 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 24 of Greta Garbo’s movies are rated as good movies…or 100.00% of her movies. Ninotchka (1939) is her highest rated movie while Two-Faced Woman (1941) was her lowest rated movie.
- Six Greta Garbo movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 25.00% of her movies.
- One Greta Garbo movie won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 4.16% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 19 Greta Garbo movies scored higher that average….or 79.16% of her movies. Ninotchka (1939) got the the highest UMR Score while Torrent (1928) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Greta Garbo
1. Greta Garbo was born Greta Lovisa Gustafsson in Stockholm, Sweden. She went from a department store model to appearing in Swedish movies to signing a contract with MGM by the time she was 20. On her arrival in the United States the general consensus was MGM had made a mistake because she was “not extraordinary and could be safely disregarded”.
2. Greta Garbo’s big break occured when Monta Bell(a director) stumbled across her screen test that was accidently included in a reel of torrential rain storms that he was watching for research in his upcoming movie. Bell saw Garbo and immediately put her in his movie…1926’s Torrent.
3 Greta Garbo could not speak any English when she first arrived, that was not a problem as all of her first films were silent films. In 1930 she appeared in her first “talkie”, Anna Christie, ….the publicity for the movie was the famous line….”Garbo talks”….as the public loved her heavy Swedish voice as well as her looks.
4. Greta Garbo was nominated 4 times for a Best Actress Oscar® ….those movies were 1930’s Anna Christie, 1931’s Romance, 1936’s Camille and 1939’s Ninotchka. Garbo actually made Anna Christie twice….once in English and the other time in German….the German versus did not make the page.
5. Greta Garbo never married, never had children and lived alone. Her last years of her life were spent in absolute seclusion. She almost did marry actor and co-star John Gilbert in 1927 but left him at the alter when she got cold feet.
6. Greta Garbo was Adolph Hitler’s favorite actress. When she learned that Hitler had watched 1936’s Camille 7 times and wanted to meet her….Garbo actually considered meeting with Hitler…the catch? she wanted to bring a knife and end his life.
7. Greta Garbo wanted to keep working after 1941’s Two-Faced Women….but all the projects she was interested in making all fell apart due to financial reasons. By 1949 she had given up the thought of returning to the big screen.
8. Greta Garbo turned down these roles over the years: I Remember Mama, Airport 1975, Out of Africa, The Paradine Case, Red Dust, Sunset Boulevard, and My Cousin Rachel.
9. Greta Garbo’s nicknames were The Face, Garbo and The Swedish Sphinx. She was also very famous for being very frugal. When she passed away she left her niece over 32 million dollars.
10. Check out Greta Garbo‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
[hits] Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.