Want to know the best Jack Lemmon movies? How about the worst Jack Lemmon movies? Curious about Jack Lemmon’s box office grosses or which Jack Lemmon movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Jack Lemmon movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
John Uhler “Jack” Lemmon III (February 8, 1925 – June 27, 2001) was a two Academy Award® winning actor. Lemmon’s film debut was a uncredited bit part in the 1949 film The Lady Takes a Sailor but he was not noticed until his official debut in 1954’s It Should Happen To You.
Over the next 45 years, Lemmon would appear in numerous classic movies. Movies like Mister Roberts, Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, Day of Wine and Roses, The Great Race and The China Syndrome. Jack Lemmon received 8 Oscar® nominations for acting in his career.
He won twice, once as Best Supporting Actor in 1955’s Mister Roberts and once as Best Actor for 1973’s Save The Tiger. Lemmon also received an incredible 16 Golden Globe® nominations for his movie roles. So basically for every three movies Lemmon made, he would receive one nomination…..not a bad ratio.
His IMDb page shows 96 acting credits from 1949-2000. This page will rank 53 Jack Lemmon movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and bit parts were not included in the rankings.
Jack Lemmon Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Jack Lemmon movies by co-stars of his movies
- Sort Jack Lemmon movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Jack Lemmon movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Jack Lemmon movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Jack Lemmon movie received.
- Sort Jack Lemmon movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- *** = Jack Lemmon received an Oscar® nomination for the movie
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adjusted B.O. Domestic (mil)||Box Office Rank by Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Apartment, The (1960) ***||Shirley MacLaine & Fred MacMurray||$232.10||6th of 1960||87.50%||10 / 05||88.62|
|Some Like It Hot (1959) ***||Tony Curtis & Marilyn Monroe||$326.30||3rd of 1959||91.67%||06 / 01||85.33|
|Mister Roberts (1955) ***||Henry Fonda & James Cagney||$393.70||2nd of 1955||88.00%||03 / 01||83.91|
|Odd Couple, The (1968)||Walter Matthau & John Fiedler||$286.50||5th of 1968||85.00%||02 / 00||73.62|
|Irma La Douce (1963)||Shirley MacLaine & James Caan||$247.00||5th of 1963||79.00%||03 / 01||71.80|
|China Syndrome, The (1979) ***||Jane Fonda & Michael Douglas||$173.70||12th of 1979||77.50%||04 / 00||71.31|
|Days of Wine and Roses (1962) ***||Lee Remick||$137.80||17th of 1962||87.00%||05 / 01||71.22|
|Great Race, The (1965)||Tony Curts & Natalie Wood||$254.60||6th of 1965||74.00%||05 / 01||70.25|
|JFK (1991)||Kevin Costner & Tommy Lee Jones||$141.00||17th of 1991||82.00%||08 / 02||67.68|
|Missing (1982) ***||Sissy Spacek||$40.10||56th of 1982||87.00%||04 / 01||57.94|
|Grumpy Old Men (1993)||Walter Matthau & Ann-Margret||$142.90||15th of 1993||68.00%||00 / 00||54.11|
|Save the Tiger (1973) ***||Jack Gilford||$33.90||59th of 1973||80.00%||03 / 01||54.02|
|Under The Yum Yum Tree (1963)||Carol Lynley & Dean Jones||$138.60||19th of 1963||61.00%||00 / 00||52.02|
|Good Neighbor Sam (1964)||Edward G. Robinson||$126.80||21st of 1964||67.00%||00 / 00||51.14|
|Front Page, The (1974)||Walter Matthau & Susan Sarandon||$107.40||26th of 1975||69.00%||00 / 00||50.95|
|How To Murder Your Wife (1965)||Terry-Thomas||$125.10||11th of 1965||66.00%||00 / 00||50.41|
|Out-of-Towners, The (1970)||Sandy Dennis||$119.20||13th of 1970||62.00%||00 / 00||48.87|
|Bell Book and Candle (1958)||James Stewart & Kim Novak||$99.40||35th of 1959||68.00%||02 / 00||48.79|
|It Should Happen To You (1954)||Judy Holliday & Directed by George Cukor||$73.30||96th of 1954||78.00%||01 / 00||48.42|
|Fortune Cookie, The (1966)||Walter Matthau & Directed by Billy Wilder||$32.20||79th of 1966||85.00%||04 / 01||47.14|
|Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)||Al Pacino & Ed Harris||$21.80||94th of 1992||88.50%||00 / 00||44.99|
|Wackiest Ship In The Army, The (1960)||Ricky Nelson||$125.70||25th of 1961||54.00%||00 / 00||44.86|
|Notorious Landlady, The (1962)||Fred Astaire||$84.30||33rd of 1962||66.50%||00 / 00||44.33|
|April Fools, The (1969)||Catherine Deneuve||$84.80||19th of 1969||65.50%||00 / 00||43.92|
|Airport '77 (1977)||James Stewart & Olivia de Havilland||$154.10||17th of 1977||42.00%||00 / 00||43.63|
|My Sister Eileen (1955)||Janet Leigh||$83.40||69th of 1955||65.00%||00 / 00||43.48|
|Phfft (1954)||Judy Holliday||$81.20||80th of 1954||64.00%||00 / 00||42.67|
|Kotch (1971) Director Only||Walter Matthau||$55.70||29th of 1971||67.50%||04 / 00||42.57|
|Short Cuts (1993)||Robert Downey Jr. & Julianne Mooe||$12.40||134th of 1993||85.50%||01 / 00||42.46|
|Operation Mad Ball (1957)||Mickey Rooney & Ernie Kovacs||$79.60||50th of 1957||64.00%||00 / 00||42.42|
|Hamlet (1996)||Robin Williams & Charlton Heston||$9.00||165th of 1996||83.50%||04 / 00||42.24|
|Three For The Show (1955)||Betty Grable||$57.90||97th of 1955||68.00%||00 / 00||40.93|
|Grumpier Old Men (1995)||Walter Matthau & Sophia Loren||$138.60||22nd of 1995||41.00%||00 / 00||40.31|
|Avanti (1973)||Juliet Mills||$21.60||82nd of 1973||77.00%||00 / 00||39.54|
|Tribute (1980) ***||Robby Benson||$29.20||65th of 1980||63.00%||01 / 00||39.04|
|It Happened To Jane (1959)||Doris Day||$68.20||53rd of `959||60.00%||00 / 00||38.77|
|Cowboy (1958)||Glenn Ford||$50.00||53rd of 1958||60.00%||01 / 00||36.35|
|Dad (1989)||Ted Danson & Ethan Hawke||$46.90||48th of 1989||58.00%||01 / 00||36.18|
|You Can't Run Away From It (1956)||June Allyson||$65.70||72nd of 1956||54.00%||00 / 00||35.56|
|Prisoner of Second Avenue, The (1975)||Anne Bancroft||$29.90||44th of 1975||64.00%||00 / 00||34.71|
|Buddy Buddy (1981)||Walter Matthau & Directed by Billy Wilder||$22.00||75th of 1981||63.00%||00 / 00||33.02|
|My Fellow Americans (1996)||James Garner & Dan Aykroyd||$42.60||73rd of 1996||56.00%||00 / 00||32.92|
|Mass Appeal (1984)||Charles Durning||$4.90||141st of 1984||66.00%||00 / 00||31.78|
|Fire Down Below (1957)||Robert Mitchum & Rita Hayworth||$88.20||47th of 1957||38.00%||00 / 00||31.53|
|War Between Men And Women (1972)||Barbara Harris & Jason Robards||$60.10||31st of 1972||47.00%||00 / 00||31.41|
|Out to Sea (1997)||Walter Matthau||$53.30||73rd of 1997||46.00%||00 / 00||29.88|
|Alex & Gypsy (1976)||James Woods||$13.20||94th of 1976||56.00%||00 / 00||28.37|
|That's Life (1986)||Julie Andrews||$9.30||118th of 1986||53.00%||01 / 00||28.00|
|Macaroni (1985)||Marcello Mastroianni||$2.10||152nd of 1985||57.00%||00 / 00||27.12|
|Grass Harp, The (1996)||Walter Matthau & Sissy Spacek||$1.10||225th of 1996||57.00%||00 / 00||26.96|
|Luv (1967)||Peter Falk||$16.00||88th of 1967||52.00%||00 / 00||26.92|
|Odd Couple II, The (1998)||Walter Matthau||$34.00||88th of 1998||42.00%||00 / 00||25.01|
|Getting Away with Murder (1996)||Dan Aykroyd||$0.40||256th of 1996||22.00%||00 / 00||10.40|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Jack Lemmon Table
- Eighteen Jack Lemmon movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 33.96% of his movies listed. Mister Roberts (1955) was his biggest box office hit.
- An average Jack Lemmon movie grosses $92.05 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 37 Jack Lemmon movies are rated as good movies…or 69.81% of his movies. Some Like It Hot (1959) is his highest rated movie while Getting Away with Murder (1996) was his lowest rated movie.
- Twenty-one Jack Lemmon movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 39.62% of his movies.
- Ten Jack Lemmon movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 18.86% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 34 Jack Lemmon movies scored higher that average….or 64.15% of his movies. The Apartment (1959) got the the highest UMR Score while Getting Away With Murder (1996) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Jack Lemmon.
1. Jack Lemmon was born in an elevator.
2. His father was the president of a doughnut company.
2. Jack Lemmon graduated from Harvard University in 1947.
3. Lemmon taught himself to play the piano. He appears in numerous movies playing the piano.
4. Lemmon appeared in 7 movies directed by Billy Wilder. From 1959’s Some Like It Hot to 1991’s Buddy Buddy.
5. Lemmon made 12 movies with Walter Matthau. From 1965’s The Fortune Cookie to 1998’s The Odd Couple II. To see all 12 movies….just type in Walter in the search box…and they will all pop up.
6. Other roles Lemmon turned down over the years: Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolfe? , All That Jazz, Never So Few, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Hustler.
7. Lemmon was married twice. His son Chris Lemmon, was his first child by his first wife, actress Cynthia Stone. His second wife was the actress Felicia Farr, with whom he had a daughter, Courtney and a step daughter Denise.
8. Lemmon directed one film in his lifetime…1971’s Kotch. Kotch starred his friend Walter Matthau, and earned Matthau an Oscar® nomination for Best Actor.
9. Lemmon passed away about one year after Matthua passed away. His gravestone simply reads “JACK LEMMON in”
10. Check out Jack Lemmon‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.