Want to know the best James Mason movies? How about the worst James Mason movies? Curious about James Mason’s box office grosses or which James Mason movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which James Mason movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
James Mason (1909-1984) was an English actor who appeared in movies for over 50 years. His first appearance was in 1935’s Late Extra and his last appearance was 1985’s The Assisi Underground. James Mason appeared in many British quota quickie movies from 1935 to 1948. After appearing in over 25 of these low budget films, Mason started getting noticed for the movies The Wicked Lady, Odd Man Out and The Seventh Veil.The success of those movies got the attention of Hollywood.
In 1949 James Mason appeared in his first American film, Caught. Once his Hollywood career got started, he appeared in many classic movies like 1953’s Julius Caesar, 1954’s A Star Is Born, 1954’s 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and 1959’s North by Northwest. For a great movie page on James Mason’s North by Northwest check out this page from film historian, Steve Lensman… North by Northwest Illustrated Reference.
Highlights for Mason in the 1960s were 1962’s Lolita and 1966’s Georgy Girl. As he neared the end of his career he scored two more major hits in 1978’s Heaven Can Wait and 1982’s The Verdict. James Mason and his very distinguished voice earned 3 Oscar® nominations for acting over his career
His IMDb page shows 154 acting credits from 1935-1985. This page will rank 74 James Mason movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in North American theaters were not included in the rankings.
James Mason Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort James Mason movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort James Mason movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort James Mason movies by domestic yearly box office rank
- Sort James Mason movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each James Mason movie received.
- Sort James Mason movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the search and sort buttons to make this a very interactive page.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||The Verdict (1982)
AA Best Picture Nom
AA Best Supp Actor Nom
|Paul Newman||68.30||201.0||201.00||10||86||05 / 00||99.1|
|2||Heaven Can Wait (1978)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Warren Beatty||81.60||301.8||301.80||5||71||09 / 01||98.8|
|3||North by Northwest (1959)||Cary Grant||19.20||276.1||445.00||7||93||03 / 00||98.4|
|4||A Star Is Born (1954)
AA Best Actor Nom
|Judy Garland||17.10||322.4||322.40||8||83||06 / 00||97.8|
|5||20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)||Kirk Douglas||22.90||429.8||429.80||4||82||03 / 02||97.6|
|6||Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)||Pat Boone||14.30||206.0||206.00||15||76||03 / 00||96.1|
|7||Lolita (1962)||Peter Sellers||12.90||148.3||148.30||14||87||01 / 00||94.1|
|8||Georgy Girl (1966)
AA Best Supp Actor Nom
|Lynn Redgrave||19.00||149.4||149.40||13||79||04 / 00||92.8|
|9||Julius Caesar (1953)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Marlon Brando||6.10||88.3||171.30||41||82||05 / 01||92.3|
|10||The Seventh Veil (1946)||Herbert Lom||5.40||133.6||133.60||62||74||01 / 01||88.8|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above James Mason Table
- Sixteen James Mason movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 21.92% of his movies listed. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) is his biggest box office ht when looking at adjusted domestic box office gross.
- An average James Mason movie grosses $68.30 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 51 of James Mason’s movies are rated as good movies…or 69.86% of his movies. North by Northwest (1959) is his highest rated movie while Bloodline (1979) was his lowest rated movie.
- Nineteen James Mason movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 26.02% of his movies.
- Four James Mason movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 5.47% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 32 James Mason movies scored higher than that average….or 22.97% of his movies. The Verdict (1982) got the the highest UMR Score while Yellowbeard (1983) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About James Mason
1. James Mason had no formal acting training. He can thank the quota quickie era for getting his start in movies. This is the 3rd or 4th time I have mentioned the quota quickie era. So what is the quota quickie era?
2. The quota quickie era was a ten year Act in England that required English theaters to show a percentage of movies made in England. This need to have English made films helped create many English production companies that could generate many movies in a very short time on a low budget.
3. James Mason was nominated for 3 acting Oscars®. His three nominations were for 1954’s A Star Is Born, 1966’s Georgy Girl, and 1982’s The Verdict. James Mason also was nominated for 3 Golden Globes®. He won one Golden Globe® for A Star Is Born.
4. Here is one for you Flora….James Mason was a huge cat lover all of his life. In 1949 James Mason and his wife Pamela wrote the book, The Cats in Our Lives. His first cat’s name was Top Boy.
5. James Mason was married twice in his life. His first marriage was to Pamela Ostrer, from 1941 to 1964. They had two children, a son named Morgan and a daughter named Portland. His second marriage was to Clarissa Kaye from 1971 to his death in 1984.
6. James Mason was the father-in-law to Belinda Carlisle who is lead singer in the rock group The Go-Gos.
7. Roles James Mason either turned down or was seriously considered for:….The African Queen, Whose Afraid of Virginia Wolfe, The Paper Chase, The Bridge on the River Kwai and Doctor Zhivago.
8. James Mason was not the first choice for 1954’s A Star Is Born, which is probably his greatest performance. Mason got the part after Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift all passed on the part.
9. James Mason was almost involved in three James Bond projects. (1 ) He was hired to play James Bond in a television version of From Russia With Love in 1958, but the it was never produced. (2) He was one of the many contenders to play Bond in Dr. No, but Sean Connery got the part. And (3) He was offered the role of Hugo Drax in 1979’s Moonraker but he turned down the part….too bad because I think he would have made a great Bond villian.
10. Check out James Mason’s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
13175 Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.
599 total views, 0 views today