Want to know the best Joan Bennett movies? How about the worst Joan Bennett movies? Curious about Joan Bennett box office grosses or which Joan Bennett movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Joan Bennett movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Joan Bennett (1910-1990) was an American stage, film and television actress. Bennett appeared in more than 70 motion pictures from the era of silent movies, well into the sound era. Her IMDb page shows 98 acting credits from 1916-1982. This page will rank 56 Joan Bennett movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Her television appearances and some movies made between 1928 and 1932 were not included in the rankings. This page comes from a request by Brando90.
Joan Bennett Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Joan Bennett films by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Joan Bennett films by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Joan Bennett films by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Joan Bennett films by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Joan Bennett film received.
- Sort Joan Bennett films by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||Father of the Bride (1950)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Spencer Tracy &
|11.50||207.8||313.30||6||82||03 / 00||98.7|
|2||Little Women (1933)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Katharine Hepburn||4.00||150.1||222.40||14||82||03 / 01||97.9|
|3||Scarlet Street (1945)||Edward G. Robinson &
|6.90||176.7||208.40||40||87||00 / 00||96.2|
|4||The Woman in the Window (1944)||Edward G. Robinson &
|6.50||175.3||289.90||38||85||01 / 00||95.9|
|5||Father's Little Dividend (1951)||Spencer Tracy &
|9.10||158.2||232.30||12||72||00 / 00||90.3|
AA Best Picture Nom
|George Arliss||2.80||123.0||199.30||16||61||03 / 01||90.2|
|7||We're No Angels (1955)||Humphrey Bogart &
|8.60||142.6||142.60||33||76||00 / 00||90.0|
|8||Man Hunt (1941)||Walter Pidgeon||4.50||139.5||139.50||36||76||00 / 00||89.6|
|9||Nob Hill (1945)||George Raft||8.60||219.4||219.40||26||55||00 / 00||88.9|
|10||The Man In The Iron Mask (1939)||Louis Hayward||4.40||135.9||135.90||44||71||01 / 00||87.4|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Joan Bennett Table
- Thirteen Joan Bennett movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 23.21% of her movies listed. Her biggest hit was Nob Hill (1945)
- An average Joan Bennett movie grosses an average of $74.02 million in adjusted domestic gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 30 Joan Bennett movies are rated as good movies…or 53.57% of her movies. Scarlet Street (1945) was her highest rated movie while Twin Beds (1942) was her lowest rated movie.
- Eight Joan Bennett movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 14.28% of her movies.
- Two Joan Bennett movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 3.57% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 20 Joan Bennett movies scored higher than that average….or 35.71% of her movies. Father of the Bride (1950) got the the highest UMR Score while Twin Beds (1942) got the lowest UMR Score.
- Joan Geraldine Bennett was born in Fort Lee, New Jersey in 1910.
2. Joan Bennett was born into a theatrical family. Her father, mother and two older sisters (Constance & Barbara) were all involved in acting…so real surprise when Joan followed their footprints.
3. Filming on 1932’s She Wanted a Millionaire was interrupted for 6 months when Joan Bennett broke her leg in a fall from a horse.
4. Joan Bennett made five films for Fritz Lang, more than any other American actor or actress who worked with him.
5. Joan Bennett was a finalist for the part of Scarlett O’Hara in 1939’s Gone with the Wind. Vivien Leigh got the role at the last minute. Her thoughts on that? “I wish Vivien would have stayed in England.”
6. Joan Bennett was married four times and had four children. Her second marriage was to producer Walter Wanger.
7. In 1951 Walter Wanger was convicted of attempted murder in the shooting of talent agent Jennings Lang. Lang was the agent of Joan Bennett, then Wanger’s wife, and Wanger discovered the two of them were having an affair. He caught them in the act, and wound up shooting Lang. Wanger served a four-month sentence.
8. Billy Wilder came up with the idea for 1960’s The Apartment after reading all the details of Wanger and Bennett’s personal lives that were revealed in the scandal in interesting fact #7. Some of the details revealed included how executives were using people’s apartments as “meeting places”. So the next time you see The Apartment….think of Joan Bennett.
9. Joan Bennett’s movies from 1930 to 1939 earned $1.81 billion in adjusted domestic gross. That puts him in 47th place when looking at all the stars of that decade. 1930’s Top Box Office Stars.
10. Joan Bennett’s movies from 1940 to 1949 earned $1.56 billion in adjusted domestic gross. That puts him in 86th place when looking at all the stars of that decade. 1940’s Top Box Office Stars.
Check out Joan Bennett’s movie career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
39 total views, 13 views today