Want to know the best John Candy movies? How about the worst John Candy movies? Curious about John Candy’s box office grosses or which John Candy movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which John Candy movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which ones got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
John Candy (1950-1994) was one of Canada’s greatest and funniest character actors. While most of his roles fall in the supporting category…he did manage to be the lead actor in some quality movies too…can you say Only The Lonely and Planes, Trains & Automobiles? His IMDb page shows 69 acting credits from 1971 to 1995. This page will rank 34 John Candy movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in North American theaters were not included in the rankings.
Drivel Part: (That is what my wife calls this part of the page). It has been a shocking 21 years since John Candy passed away. I am old enough that I saw 9 of the movies in the following table in movie theaters. In my house, John Candy has become synonymous with Thanksgiving. Every year without exception, we watch Candy’s best movie, Planes, Trains & Automobiles. So with Thanksgiving right around the corner, I felt it was the perfect time (actually the wife said do it now or wait until next Thanksgiving) to take a good look at the movie career of John Candy. He might be gone…..but he lives on with the many excellent movies he left behind.
John Candy Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Column is the name of the John Candy movie and a link to that movie’s trailer
- Sort by John Candy movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort John Candy movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort John Candy movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort John Candy movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each John Candy movie received.
- Sort John Candy movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
AA Best Picture Nom
|Kevin Costner||70.40||144.7||422.00||17||82||08 / 02||98.1|
|2||Stripes (1981)||Bill Murray &
|85.30||265.4||265.40||5||78||00 / 00||95.8|
|3||Splash (1984)||Tom Hanks||69.80||179.7||179.70||10||78||01 / 00||95.6|
|4||The Blues Brothers (1980)||John Belushi &
|57.20||190.4||190.40||11||77||00 / 00||94.9|
|5||National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)||Chevy Chase &
Directed by Harold Ramis
|61.40||168.6||168.60||12||79||00 / 00||93.6|
|6||Home Alone (1990)||Macaulay Culkin||285.80||584.4||584.40||1||66||00 / 00||93.0|
|7||Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)||Steve Martin||49.50||109.6||109.60||21||84||00 / 00||88.7|
|8||Cool Runnings (1993)||Doug E. Doug||68.90||143.9||143.90||15||69||00 / 00||87.4|
|9||Little Shop of Horrors (1986)||Bill Murray &
|38.70||90.3||90.30||26||83||02 / 00||86.5|
|10||Uncle Buck (1989)||Macaulay Culkin||66.80||145.5||145.50||18||63||00 / 00||85.4|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above John Candy Table
- Eleven John Candy movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 32.35% of his movies listed. Home Alone (1990) was his biggest hit.
- An average John Candy movie grosses $86.00 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 16 of John Candy’s movies are rated as good movies…or 47.05% of his movies. Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) is his highest rated movie while Nothing But Trouble (1991) is his lowest rated movie.
- Four John Candy movie received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 11.76% of his movies.
- One John Candy movie won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 2.94% of his movies.
- A “good movie” Ultimate Movie Ranking Score is 60.00. 13 John Candy movies scored higher than that average….or 29.41% of his movies. Stripes (1981) got the the highest UMR Score while Nothing But Trouble (1991) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About John Candy
1. John Candy was born in 1950 in Newmarket, Ontario.
2. John Candy first gained notoriety as a cast member of Toronto-based comedy-variety show Second City Television (SCTV).
3. John Candy appeared in more John Hughes movies than any other actor, starring or doing cameos in seven of them: National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983), Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987), The Great Outdoors (1988), Uncle Buck (1989), Home Alone (1990) and appears in a cameos in She’s Having a Baby (1988) and Career Opportunities (1991).
5. John Candy was a co-owner of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.
6. John Candy sat in the front row for Super Bowl XXIII. According to legend, right before the 49ers game-winning drive, quarterback Joe Montana pointed toward the stands and said to tackle Harris Barton, “Hey look over there. Isn’t that John Candy?”.
7. John Candy was entombed in the mausoleum at Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California. His crypt lies just above fellow actor Fred MacMurray.
8. John Candy, my older boys and Nothing But Trouble (1991). Although Nothing But Trouble might be John Candy’s worst movie (he got a Razzie nomination for Worst Supporting Actor)…my sons loved Nothing But Trouble. They literally wore out the VHS tape that we owned and we had to replace it with a new VHS tape. Even today when I mention Nothing But Trouble…..the movie generates a smile from my boys.
9. John Candy turned down the Rick Moranis’ role in Ghostbusters (1984). Candy on that….”I should have been in Ghostbusters”.
10. Check out John Candy‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.
30,929 total views, 0 views today