Want to know the best John Garfield movies? How about the worst John Garfield movies? Curious about John Garfield’s box office grosses or which John Garfield movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which John Garfield movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place …. because we have all of that information.
Before Steve McQueen before Marlon Brando….the rebel of Hollywood was John Garfield. John Garfield (1913-1952) was a 2 time Oscar® nominated actor. During his Warner Brothers contract days, Garfield was suspended by the studio an amazing 11 times. His IMDb page shows 34 acting credits since from 1938-1951. This page will rank 31 of his movies from Best to Worst in 6 different columns of sortable information. The missing three movies were either shorts or uncredited roles.
John Garfield Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In The Table Below
The really cool thing about ther table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort John Garfield movies by Co-Star
- Sort John Garfield movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort John Garfield movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions) *** If domestic and worldwide are the same then worldwide is unknown
- Sort John Garfield movies by critic reviews and audiences voting. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each John Garfield movie received.
- Sort John Garfield movies by Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||Gentleman's Agreement (1947)
AA Best Picture Win
|Gregory Peck||10.50||246.4||246.4||12||75||08 / 03||99.3|
|2||Four Daughters (1938)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Claude Rains||5.30||170.7||230.3||24||80||00 / 00||97.5|
|3||The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)||Lana Turner||10.20||252.8||342.7||20||85||00 / 00||96.7|
|4||Air Force (1943)||Directed by Howard Hawks||7.50||215.5||340.2||20||80||04 / 01||96.5|
|5||Hollywood Canteen (1944)||Bette Davis||12.40||334.4||510.6||6||72||00 / 00||92.9|
|6||Destination Tokyo (1943)||Cary Grant||9.40||269.6||377.3||12||66||01 / 00||91.3|
|7||Pride of the Marines (1945)||Eleanor Parker||6.40||162.2||213.4||44||74||01 / 00||89.3|
|9||Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943)||Humphrey Bogart &
|7.20||206.2||298.3||25||58||01 / 00||88.2|
|10||Nobody Lives Forever (1946)||Walter Brennan||5.70||139.9||185.7||64||76||00 / 00||87.1|
|11||The Sea Wolf (1941)||Edward G. Robinson||4.00||123.3||187.4||52||80||01 / 00||86.7|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above John Garfield Table
1. Fifteen John Garfield movies crossed the magical $100 million mark. That is a percentage of 48.38% of her movies listed. Hollywood Canteen (1944) was his biggest box office hit.
2. An average John Garfield movie grosses $120.40 million in adjusted box office gross.
3. Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 27 John Garfield movies are rated as good movies…or 87.09% of his movies. Body and Soul (1947) was his highest rated movie while The Fallen Sparrow (1943) was his lowest rated movie.
4. Eleven John Garfield movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 35.48% of her movies.
5. Three John Garfield movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 9.67% of his movies.
6. An average Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score is 40.00. 24 John Garfield movies scored higher that average….or 77.41% of his movies. Gentleman’s Agreement (1947) got the the highest UMR Score while Out of the Fog (1941) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About John Garfield
1. This page was suggested by a John Garfield fan ….remember we here at UMR are happy to take recommendations for the next UMR page. Coming soon….Bill Murray, Montgomery Clift, Seth Rogen and Bob Hope.
2. John Garfield was born and raised in New York City.
3. John Garfield received two Oscar® nominations for acting. He was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar® for 1938’s Four Daughters and a Best Actor Oscar nomination for 1947’s Body and Soul.
4. John Garfield was married to his childhood sweetheart, Roberta Seidman, from 1935 until his death in 1952. They had three children…..Katherine (1938-1945), David (1942-1995) and actress Julie (1946-).
5. Famous roles that almost went to John Garfield. William Holden’s role in Golden Boy, Gary Merrill’s role in All About Eve, Marlon Brando’s role in A Streetcar Named Desire, Marlon Brando’s role in On The Waterfront and Frank Sinatra’s role in The Man With The Golden Arm.
6. John Garfield said “No actor can really be good until he’s reached forty.” Sadly he died of a heart attack at age 39….so we will never know how good an actor John Garfield would have been.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.