Want to know the best John Sturges movies? How about the worst John Sturges movies? Curious about John Sturges box office grosses or which ohn Sturges movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which John Sturges movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
John Sturges (1910-1992) was an American Oscar®-nominated director and producer. Primarily known for his action movies he directed movies from in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. His IMDb page shows 44 directing credits from 1946 to 1978. This page will rank 42 John Sturges movies. Movies will be ranked from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. His one documentary and his one uncredited credits were not included in the page.
Drivel part of the page: The other day I re-watched John Sturges’ Joe Kidd. After a promising start, the movie really went off the rails in the final 1/3 of the movie. I actually think the final 30 minutes might be the worst Clint Eastwood finale ever. So with a John Sturges movie rattling around in my head… I decided to honor Hot Ham’s request and do a John Sturges UMR page.
John Sturges Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort John Sturges movies by co-stars of his movies
- Sort John Sturges movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort John Sturges movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort John Sturges movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each John Sturges movie received.
- Sort John Sturges movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957)||Burt Lancaster &
|13.40||207.4||207.40||7||77||02 / 00||95.2|
|2||The Great Escape (1963)||Steve McQueen &
|15.80||158.6||158.60||15||89||01 / 00||94.4|
|3||Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
AA Best Director Nom
|Spencer Tracy &
|5.70||95.1||181.60||56||87||03 / 00||86.6|
|4||The Magnificent Seven (1960)||Yul Brynner &
|6.40||80.6||80.60||40||85||01 / 00||82.5|
|5||Last Train from Gun Hill (1959)||Kirk Douglas &
|6.70||96.8||96.80||35||71||00 / 00||76.7|
|6||The Old Man and the Sea (1958)||Spencer Tracy||3.10||45.3||45.30||65||78||03 / 01||72.8|
|7||Sergeants 3 (1962)||Frank Sinatra &
|12.40||142.5||142.50||13||45||00 / 00||67.7|
|8||Never So Few (1959)||Frank Sinatra &
|8.40||121.5||121.50||27||50||00 / 00||64.9|
|9||Joe Kidd (1972)||Clint Eastwood &
|14.10||71.8||71.80||20||65||00 / 00||63.5|
|10||Ice Station Zebra (1968)||Rock Hudson &
|13.30||87.8||87.80||27||58||02 / 00||63.2|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above John Sturges Table
- Five John Sturges movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 11.90% of his movies listed. Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957) was his biggest box office hit.
- An average John Sturges movie grosses $55.90 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 15 of John Sturges movies are rated as good movies…or 35.71% of his movies. The Great Escape (1963) was his highest rated movie while Right Cross (1950) was his lowest rated movie.
- Ten John Sturges movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 23.80% of his movies.
- Two John Sturges movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 4.76% of his movies.
- An good Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score is 40.00. 12 John Sturges movie scored higher that average….or 28.57% of his movies. Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957) got the the highest UMR Score while Chino (1973) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About John Sturges
- John Elliott Sturges was born in Oak Park, Illinois in 1910.
2. John Sturges started his career in Hollywood as an editor in 1932. During World War II, he directed documentaries and training films for the United States Army Air Forces.
3. After World War II, John Sturges signed a movie contract with Columbia Pictures….where he directed “B” movies. After his Columbia contract ended he signed with MGM…where he directed “bigger budgeted B movies”.
4. John Sturges once met Akira Kurosawa, who told him that he loved The Magnificent Seven (which was a remake of Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai). Sturges considered this the proudest moment of his professional career.
5. John Sturges was nominated for one Oscar®. He received a Best Director Oscar® nomination for 1955’s Bad Day At Black Rock.
6. John Sturges directed Steve McQueen 3 times. It would have been four….but Sturges left the production of 1971’s Le Mans because McQueen was too hands on all aspects of the movie making process.
7. John Sturges is the last director to direct Clint Eastwood in a western. The movie was 1972’s Joe Kidd. Eastwood and Sturges did not get alond during filming.
8. John Sturges was married two times. He had two children.
9. John Sturges directed two actors to Oscar® nominations: Louis Calhern for Best Actor in 1950’s The Magnificent Yankee and Spencer Tracy for Best Actor in 1955’s Bad Day at Black Rock and 1958’s The Old Man and the Sea.
10. Check out John Sturges‘ career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
For comparion check out Steve Lensman’s John Sturges You Tube video.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.