Want to know the best Judy Garland movies? How about the worst Judy Garland movies? Curious about Judy Garland’s box office grosses or which Judy Garland movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Judy Garland movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
A quick check on the American Film Institute’s Top Stars Of All-Time list….I found that the highest rated performer that I had not written a movie page on was Judy Garland. Garland is ranked as the 8th greatest actress according to their Legends poll. Even more impressive is the massive box office success her movies experienced. Of her 31 movies…23 crossed the $100 million mark when looking at adjusted box office grosses. That is the highest total for any actress that I have researched.
Judy Garland’s (1922-1969) IMDb page shows 38 acting credits from 1930-1963. This page will rank 31 Judy Garland movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, and cameos were not included in the rankings. Most of the box office figures are provided by the Eddie Marmix MGM Feature Film Ledgers and include not only North America figures but worldwide box office totals as well. I have seen 3 of her movies….so I do not really know how accurate my rankings turned out…I look forward to Judy Garland experts telling me which movies are too high or too low.
Judy Garland Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Judy Garland movies by co-stars of her movies.
- Sort Judy Garland movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Judy Garland movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Judy Garland movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Judy Garland movie received.
- Sort Judy Garland movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|CreditRank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||S||UMR Score|
|CreditRank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||S||UMR Score|
|1||The Wizard of Oz (1939)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Frank Morgan &
|9.80||302.5||422.2||2||91||06 / 02||99.5|
|2||Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Spencer Tracy &
|11.30||131.9||131.9||20||86||11 / 02||98.2|
|3||A Star Is Born (1954)||James Mason||17.10||322.4||322.4||8||83||06 / 00||97.8|
|4||Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)||Mary Astor &
|16.20||437.4||572.5||2||83||04 / 00||97.4|
|5||Easter Parade (1948)||Fred Astaire||10.90||235.8||330.2||3||81||01 / 00||96.8|
|6||The Harvey Girls (1946)||Ray Bolger &
|11.20||276.1||347.1||12||78||02 / 01||96.7|
|7||Strike Up The Band (1940)||Mickey Rooney||6.50||199.9||308.4||8||72||03 / 01||95.4|
|9||Babes on Broadway (1941)||Mickey Rooney||7.60||235.5||384.6||8||75||01 / 00||95.3|
|8||Babes in Arms (1939)||Mickey Rooney||9.20||285.6||412.1||6||74||02 / 00||95.3|
|10||For Me and My Gal (1942)||Gene Kelly||8.30||246.6||372.5||15||74||01 / 00||95.1|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Judy Garland Table
- Twenty-four Judy Garland movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 77.41% of his movies listed. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) was her biggest box hit.
- An average Judy Garland movie grosses $176.80 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 28 of Judy Garland’s movies are rated as good movies…or 90.32% of her movies. Wizard of Oz (1939) is her highest rated movie. Everybody Sing (1938) was her lowest rated movie.
- Twelve Judy Garland movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 38.70% of her movies.
- Four Judy Garland movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 12.90% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 26 Judy Garland movies scored higher that average….or 83.87% of her movies. A Star is Born (1954) got the the highest UMR Score while I Could Go On Singing (1963) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly interesting facts about Judy Garland.
1. Judy Garland was born Frances Ethel Gumm. At the age of 6 she started performing with her two older sisters in a vaudeville act call the Gumm Sisters.
2. Judy Garland was married 5 times in her life. She had two children with Sidney Luft and one child(Liza Minnelli) with Oscar® winning director Vincente Minnelli.
3. Dorothy’s daughter was married to the Tin Man’s son for seven years….or in other word’s Judy’s daughter Liza Minnelli was married to Jack Haley’s son Jack Haley Jr. for seven years.
4. Judy Garland’s singing of Over the Rainbow in The Wizard of Oz was voted the greatest song in movies according to the American Film Institute.
5. Judy Garland received 2 Oscar® nominations for acting….Best Actress in 1954’s A Star Is Born and Best Supporting Actress in 1961’s Judgement at Nuremberg. She also received a special Juvenile Oscar® for her work in The Wizard of Oz.
6. Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney appeared in 9 movies together….or roughly 33% of all Judy Garland movies also starred Mickey Rooney.
7. One of only six actresses to dance with both Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly in a movie….the other five? Debbie Reynolds, Rita Hayworth, Cyd Charisse, Leslie Caron and Vera-Ellen.
8. I have over 22,000 movies in my database….before doing this hub I had not included The Wizard of Oz in the database….however after including The Wizard of Oz it has a high enough ranking to crack my Top 100 Films of All-Time movie page….as it comes in at #75.
9. To see vintage movie posters of Judy Garland’s movie career….please check out his outstanding hub by Steve Lensman….Judy Garland Movie Posters
10. Check out Judy Garland‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
Most of the box office totals came from the Eddie Mannix MGM Film Ledgers.
264 total views, 0 views today