Want to know the best Lana Turner movies? How about the worst Lana Turner movies? Curious about Lana Turner’s box office grosses or which Lana Turner movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Lana Turner movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which movie got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Gotta make mama happy. Since I started writing movie pages, my mother, BERN1960 , has been asking me for a Lana Turner page. So after putting her request off for for almost 2 years…. now…finally my Lana Turner tribute page is complete and published.
Lana Turner (1921-1995) was an Oscar® nominated actress that appeared in over 50 movies from 1937 to 1991. In 1937 Turner got her big break when she went to a Hollywood drug store for some soda pop and was discovered by a movie producer who happened to be in the same drug store. She would appear in her first movie, They Won’t Forget, later that year and immediately was noticed by the movie going public because of the tight sweater she wore in the movie. She became known as the “sweater girl”….a label that she strongly disliked. It only took her four years to go from supporting roles to leading roles in low budget movies to leading roles in the most prestige movies being made at the time.
By 1941 was sharing top billing with superstars James Stewart, Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable. Her peak movie years happened between 1941 and 1959. During this time frame she appeared in many blockbuster hits and numerous critical hits and was one of the biggest stars working in movies.
Her IMDb page shows 59 acting credits from 1937-2014. This page will rank 29 Lana Turner movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that received limited North America releases were not included in the rankings.
Lana Turner Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In Ther Table
The really cool thing about ther table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Lana Turner movies by the co-stars of her movies.
- Sort Lana Turner movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Lana Turner movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Lana Turner movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Lana Turner movie received.
- Sort Lana Turner movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR). UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||Peyton Place (1957)
AA Best Picture Nom
AA Best Actress Nom
|Lloyd Nolan||32.90||507.5||507.50||1||66||09 / 00||97.1|
|2||The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)||John Garfield||10.20||252.8||342.70||20||85||00 / 00||96.7|
|3||Imitation of Life (1959)||Juanita Moore||18.30||264.4||264.40||8||80||02 / 00||95.9|
|4||Honky Tonk (1941)||Clark Gable||8.50||264.1||372.40||7||75||00 / 00||94.0|
|5||Johnny Eager (1941)||Robert Taylor &
|6.40||198.9||297.60||13||72||01 / 01||93.6|
|6||The Three Musketeers (1948)||Gene Kelly &
|10.90||234.7||478.70||4||72||01 / 00||93.2|
|7||Green Dolphin Street (1947)||Van Heflin||11.60||271.9||453.20||8||67||04 / 01||93.0|
|8||Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938)||Mickey Rooney||6.50||209.8||287.90||13||68||00 / 00||91.8|
|9||Homecoming (1948)||Clark Gable||9.70||210.5||318.30||8||67||00 / 00||91.5|
|10||Week-end at the Waldorf (1945)||Ginger Rogers &
|12.10||308.5||435.80||8||67||00 / 00||91.5|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Lana Turner Table
- Twenty-three Lana Turner movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 46.00% of her movies listed. Peyton Place (1957) was her biggest box office hit.
- An average Lana Turner movie grossed $118.40 million in adjusted box office gross
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 26 of Lana Turner’s movies are rated as good movies…or 52.00% of her movies. The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) is her highest rated movie while Bittersweet Love (1976) was her lowest rated movie.
- Nine Lana Turner movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 18.00% of her movies.
- Three Lana Turner movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 6.00% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 21 Lana Turner movies scored higher that average….or 42.00% of her movies. Peyton Place (1957) got the the highest UMR Score while Bittersweet Love (1976) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Lana Turner
1. Lana Turner was born Julia Jean Turner in Wallace, Idaho in 1921. Throughout her life family members called her Judy. It was not until she was discovered that she became Lana.
2. Lana Turner’s list of co-stars is pretty impressive……4 movies with Clark Gable, 2 movies with Spencer Tracy, once with James Stewart, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers, Richard Burton and Anthony Quinn. She even appeared opposite two James Bonds years before they became Bond….Sean Connery and Roger Moore.
3. Lana Turner received one Oscar® nomination in her career. She was nominated for Best Actress in 1957’s Peyton Place. She never received a Golden Globe® nomination.
4. Lana Turner was married 8 different times to 7 different men. They included a rancher, a hypnotist, a movie producer, an actor, a restaurant owner, a department store owner and a millionaire socialite. Lana Turner had one daughter, Cheryl.
5. In 1958 Lana Turner and her boyfriend at the time, gangster Johnny Stompanato, were in a heated argument. In an effort to protect her mother, Cheryl Turner, killed Stompanato. The amount of media coverage of the killing has been compared to the O.J. Simpson trial in 1995. It was ruled a justifiable homicide.
6. Roles Lana Turner turned down or was seriously considered for: Anatomy of a Murder, Mogambo, The Sound and the Fury, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. On the other side of this fact….she did however get the role of one of her biggest hits, Green Dolphin Street, when Katharine Hepburn dropped out of the movie.
7. The first agent that had contact with Lana Turner was Zeppo Marx, Groucho’s brother.
8. Check out Meg Ryan‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
But wait….we have a few more Lana Turner Movie Stats….Adjusted Worldwide Gross on 21 Lana Turner Movies
- Bachelor in Paradise (1961) $111.30 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Bad and the Beautiful, The (1952) $143.80 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Betrayed (1954) $217.90 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- By Love Possessed (1961) $87.70 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Cass Timberlane (1947) $319.30 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Diane (1956) $54.20 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) $229.20 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Great Garrick, The (1938) $42.50 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Green Dolphin Street (1947) $442.00 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Homecoming (1948) $310.10 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Honky Tonk (1941) $362.40 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Johnny Eager (1941) $204.70 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Lady Takes A Flyer, The (1958) $52.30 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938) $280.40 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Portrait in Black (1960) $186.30 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Postman Always Rings Twice, The (1946) $334.40 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Somewhere I’ll Find You (1942) $333.60 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Three Musketeers, The (1948) $466.70 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Week-end at the Waldorf (1945) $424.70 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Who’s Got The Action (1962) $76.70 million in adjusted worldwide gross
- Ziegfeld Girl (1941) $300.70 million in adjusted worldwide gross
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.