Want to know the best Lauren Bacall movies? How about the worst Lauren Bacall movies? Curious about Lauren Bacall’s box office grosses or which Lauren Bacall movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Lauren Bacall movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which ones got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place…. because we have all of that information and much more.
Lauren Bacall (1924-2014) was an American actress, who the American Film Institute ranked as one of the Top 50 Screen Legends of all time. Bacall is ranked as the 20th best actress, right behind #19 Rita Hayworth and right before #21 Sophia Loren. One of our goals is to do a movie page on all 50 Screen Legends. After completing this page we have now written movie pages on 43 (or 86%) of those performers……leaving only 5 actresses and 2 actors that still need movie pages.
Personal drivel part: Recently the family and I went on vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. While staying at our way over priced hotel, I figured I would use their printer and their ink to print up all the IMDb pages on the remaining AFI stars that still needed pages. As I went through their IMDb pages I started to realize that doing a Lauren Bacall page was going to actually be pretty easy to do. Of the 36 movies I was going to have to research….31 were already in my database….or 86.11% of her movies. All I had to do was assign the movies to Lauren Bacall. So when we got home, I quickly researched the final movies and the Bacall page was ready to be published. FYI Buster Keaton, Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish are going to be a serious pain in the ass to do.
Her IMDb page shows 71 acting credits from 1944-2012. This page will rank 36 Lauren Bacall movies from Best to Worst in seven different sortable columns of information. Uncredited roles, bit parts, shorts, television appearances and movies not released in theaters in North America were not included in the rankings.
Lauren Bacall Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Lauren Bacall movies by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Lauren Bacall movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Lauren Bacall movies by domestic yearly box office rank
- Sort Lauren Bacall movies by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and Oscar® wins each Lauren Bacall movie received.
- Sort Lauren Bacall movies by Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score. UMR puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the sort and search buttons to make this table very interactive. For example…if you type in “Humphrey Bogart” in the search box….the 4 Bogart/Bacall movies will pop right up.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||Co-Stars||Domestic Box Office (Actual in Millions)||Domestic Box Office (Adjusted in Millions)||Domestic Box Office Rank By Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|To Have and Have Not (1944)||Humphrey Bogart & Directed by Howard Hawks||$11.78||$310.30||15th of 1945||87.5%||00 / 00||72.12|
|The Big Sleep (1946)||Humphrey Bogart & Directed by Howard Hawks||$8.11||$195.30||34th of 1946||89.0%||00 / 00||72.10|
|Key Largo (1948)||Humphrey Bogart & Edward G. Robinson||$8.68||$183.00||18th of 1948||88.0%||01 / 01||70.72|
|Murder on the Orient Express (1974)||Sean Connery & Ingrid Bergman||$57.95||$261.20||8th of 1974||78.0%||06 / 01||70.66|
|How To Marry A Millionaire (1953)||Marilyn Monroe & Betty Grable||$22.12||$310.80||4th of 1953||80.3%||01 / 00||69.16|
|Written on the Wind (1956)||Rock Hudson & Dorothy Malone||$12.57||$192.70||11th of 1957||78.0%||03 / 01||68.33|
|Dark Passage (1947)||Humphrey Bogart||$8.11||$184.70||31st of 1947||84.0%||00 / 00||68.11|
|Misery (1990)||Kathy Bates & James Caan||$61.28||$122.10||19th of 1990||84.0%||01 / 01||59.29|
|Woman's World (1954)||Clifton Webb & Van Heflin||$8.57||$157.10||28th of 1954||70.5%||00 / 00||57.49|
|Harper (1966)||Paul Newman||$15.00||$115.00||13th of 1966||77.0%||00 / 00||54.01|
|The Shootist (1976)||John Wayne & Ron Howard||$18.14||$71.80||50th of 1976||84.7%||01 / 00||51.32|
|Designing Woman (1957)||Gregory Peck||$6.43||$96.80||40th of 1957||69.7%||01 / 01||48.74|
|The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996)||Barbra Streisand & Jeff Bridges||$41.08||$78.40||36th of 1996||56.5%||02 / 00||46.45|
|Sex and the Single Girl (1964)||Henry Fonda & Tony Curtis||$12.14||$108.90||15th of 1964||62.5%||00 / 00||46.26|
|Young Man With A Horn (1950)||Kirk Douglas & Doris Day||$4.29||$75.30||77th of 1950||69.7%||00 / 00||44.41|
|The Cobweb (1955)||Richard Widmark||$4.29||$69.50||81st of 1955||71.5%||00 / 00||44.37|
|Confidential Agent (1945)||Peter Lorre||$2.22||$55.10||Not in Top 80||72.0%||00 / 00||42.38|
|Howl's Moving Castle (2004) Voice Role Only||Christian Bale||$4.71||$6.40||167th of 2005||85.0%||01 / 00||41.34|
|Bright Leaf (1950)||Gary Cooper||$5.00||$87.80||55th of 1950||58.0%||00 / 00||40.87|
|Ernest & Celestine (2012) Voice Role Only||Forest Whitaker||$0.26||$0.30||301st of 2014||84.0%||01 / 00||39.93|
|Blood Alley (1955)||John Wayne||$3.40||$55.10||38th of 1956||58.7%||00 / 00||36.11|
|Dogville (2004)||Nicole Kidman & James Caan||$1.54||$2.10||202nd of 2004||75.0%||00 / 00||35.59|
|North West Frontier (1959)||Kenneth More||$1.14||$16.10||Not in Top 80||70.0%||00 / 00||35.40|
|The Gift of Love (1958)||Robert Stack||$2.43||$34.10||Not in Top 80||64.0%||00 / 00||35.37|
|Shock Treatment (1964)||Stuart Whitman & Roddy McDowall||$2.27||$20.40||Not in Top 90||64.5%||00 / 00||33.48|
|My Fellow Americans (1996)||Jack Lemmon & James Garner||$22.31||$42.60||73rd of 1996||56.0%||00 / 00||32.92|
|Manderlay (2006)||Bryce Dallas Howard & Danny Glover||$0.08||$0.10||392nd of 2006||62.5%||00 / 00||29.40|
|All I Want for Christmas (1991)||Jamey Sheridan||$14.81||$29.70||82nd of 1991||50.5%||00 / 00||28.34|
|Appointment with Death (1988)||Peter Ustinov & John Gielgud||$0.96||$2.00||179th of 1988||59.5%||00 / 00||28.27|
|The Walker (2007)||Woody Harrelson||$0.08||$0.10||390th of 2007||56.5%||00 / 00||26.58|
|The Fan (1981)||James Garner & Michael Biehn||$3.08||$9.30||89th in 1981||50.0%||00 / 00||24.94|
|Mr. North (1988)||Robert Mitchum||$1.22||$2.50||171st of 1988||51.0%||00 / 00||24.36|
|Birth (2004)||Nicole Kidman||$5.10||$6.90||163rd of 2004||49.5%||00 / 00||24.33|
|HealtH (1980)||James Garner||$1.63||$5.30||Not in Top 88||48.0%||00 / 00||23.38|
|Ready To Wear (1994)||Julia Roberts||$11.30||$23.30||104th of 1994||39.0%||00 / 00||21.90|
|Diamonds (1999)||Kirk Douglas||$0.09||$0.10||293rd of 1999||40.0%||00 / 00||18.82|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Lauren Bacall Table
- Eleven Lauren Bacall movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 30.55% of her movies listed. How To Marry A Millionaire (1953) was her biggest box office hit.
- An average Lauren Bacall movie grosses $81.50 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 23 of Lauren Bacall’s movies are rated as good movies…or 63.88% of her movies. The Big Sleep (1946) was her highest rated movie while Ready to Wear (1994) was her lowest rated movie.
- Ten Lauren Bacall movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 27.77% of her movies.
- Five Lauren Bacall movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 13.88% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score is 39.86. 19 Lauren Bacall movies scored higher that average….or 54.28% of her movies. To Have and Have Not (1944) got the the highest UMR Movie Score while Diamonds (1999) got the lowest UMR Movie Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Lauren Bacall
1. Betty Joan Perske was born on September 16, 1924, in The Bronx, New York
2. In the early 1940s…. legendary director, Howard Hawks, signed her to a seven-year contract and began to manage her career. Hawks changed her first name to Lauren, and she chose “Bacall”, a variant of her mother’s maiden name.
3. “If you want me just whistle. You know how to whistle don’t you? Just put your lips together and blow.”..Bacall’s line from 1944’s To Have and Have Not is one of the greatest movie quotes of all-time.
4. Lauren Bacall was married two times in her life. Her first marriage was to actor Humphrey Bogart from 1945 to his death in 1957. Her second marriage was to actor Jason Robards from 1961-1969. She and Bogart had boy and a girl…..she and Robards had a boy.
5. All three of Lauren Bacall’s children became actors. Sam Robards appeared in American Beauty, Fandango (one of my favorite forgotten movies) and many televison series. Stephen Bogart has 14 IMDb credits and Leslie Bogart has 2 IMDb credits.
6. Lauren Bacall put a whistle in Humphrey Bogart’s coffin. It was a reference to the famous line she says to him in their first film together To Have and Have Not (1944): “You know how to whistle, don’t you? You just put your lips together and blow.”. She was Bogart’s widow for an incredible 57 years!
7. According to the American Film Institute, Lauren Bacall is the 20th greatest female star of all-time.
8. Lauren Bacall was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar® in 1996’s The Mirror Has Two Faces. She won the Golden Globe® Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Mirror Has Two Faces. In 2010, Bacall received a Honorary Oscar®…”In recognition of her central place in the Golden Age of motion pictures”.
9. Along with Veronica Lake, Julie London and Rita Hayworth, Bacall was one of four inspirations that helped compose the character Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988).
10. Check out Lauren Bacall’s movie career compared to current and classic stars on our Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time page.