Want to know the best Linda Darnell movies? How about the worst Linda Darnell movies? Curious about Linda Darnell box office grosses or which Linda Darnell movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Linda Darnell movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Linda Darnell (1923-1965) was an American actress. Darnell was one of the most popular actresses of the 1940s. Her movies earned $3 billion (adjusted gross) between 1940 and 1949….with 15 of her movies crossing the $100 milllion (adjusted) mark. Linda Darnell’s IMDb page shows 57 acting credits from 1939-1965. This page will rank 40 Linda Darnell movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Her television appearances, uncredited roles, shorts and 1955’s It Happens in Roma (not released in North American theaters) were not included in the rankings.
Drivel Part: This page comes from a request by Pierre. Gotta admit that I did not know much about Linda Darnell before doing this page. Now I know enough to be dangerous….lol. Sorry for the delay, Pierre…..but your requested Linda Darnell page is now complete!
Linda Darnell Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Linda Darnell movies by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Linda Darnell movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Linda Darnell movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Linda Darnell movies by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Linda Darnell movie received.
- Sort Linda Darnell movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR)Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Blue link in Co-star column takes you to that star’s UMR movie page
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|2||A Letter to Three Wives (1949)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Kirk Douglas &
|7.60||153.7||153.70||23||84||03 / 02||97.3|
|1||My Darling Clementine (1946)||Henry Fonda &
Directed by John Ford
|7.40||183.7||183.70||48||86||00 / 00||95.5|
|3||Anna and the King of Siam (1946)||Gale Sondergaard||9.50||233.8||233.80||24||71||05 / 02||94.9|
|4||The Mark of Zorro (1940)||Tyrone Power||5.70||176.5||176.50||9||82||01 / 00||94.2|
|5||Blood and Sand (1941)||Tyrone Power &
|5.60||174.4||174.40||21||77||02 / 01||93.0|
|6||Centennial Summer (1946)||Walter Brennan||8.10||200.4||200.40||36||63||02 / 00||90.5|
|7||Forever Amber (1947)||Cornel Wilde||13.50||315.9||315.90||5||56||00 / 00||86.9|
|8||Buffalo Bill (1944)||Joel McCrea &
|6.50||174.4||174.40||39||54||00 / 00||81.5|
|9||The Great John L. (1945)||Greg McClure||5.50||140.4||140.40||62||63||00 / 00||80.7|
|10||Fallen Angel (1945)||Dana Andrews||4.20||106.0||106.00||81||74||00 / 00||80.6|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Linda Darnell Table
- Sixteen Linda Darnell movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 40.00% of her movies listed. Forever Amber (1947) was her biggest box office hit.
- An average Linda Darnell movie grossed $91.30 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 19 Linda Darnell movies are rated as good movies…or 47.50% of her movies. My Darling Clementine (1946) is her highest rated movie while City Without Men (1943) is her lowest rated movie.
- Nine Linda Darnell movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 22.50% of her movies.
- Three Linda Darnell movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 7.50% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score is 40.00. 22 Linda Darnell movies scored higher that average….or 55.00% of her movies. My Darling Clementine (1946) got the the highest UMR Score while The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe (1942) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Linda Darnell
1. Monetta Eloyse Darnell was born in Dallas, Texas in 1923.
2. As a teenager, Linda Darnell landed not one but two movie contracts. Her first contract was with RKO before 20th Century Fox decided to offer her movie roles. At 15 she was living by herself in a small apartment in Hollywood. By the time she was 16 she was Tyrone Power’s leading lady in 1939’s Day-Time Wife.
3. Linda Darnell’s nickname was Tweedles.
4. Linda Darnell really wanted to play the Ava Gardner part in 1954’s The Barefoot Contessa. Apparently Joseph L. Mankiwez wrote the part with Darnell in mind.
5. Linda Darnell was never nominated for any major acting awards….nor was she ever included on the Quigley Publication Top Star lists…..the last fact makes no sense. In 1944 she had 3 $100 million hits….that should have gotten a spot in the Top 25 for sure.
6. Linda Darnell was married three times and had one daughter.
7. Linda Darnell’s character in 1946’s Anna and the King of Siam, was executed by being burned at the stake. In real life, Darnell died at age 41 from burns received in a house fire.
8. Check out Linda Darnell‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences. Golden Globe® is a registered trademark.