Want to know the best Marilyn Monroe movies? How about the worst Marilyn Monroe movies? Curious about Marilyn Monroe’s box office grosses or which Marilyn Monroe movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Marilyn Monroe movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962), started showing in movies in 1947. Most of her early films were either uncredited or very small parts. Her first major role was in the B feature Ladies of the Chorus in 1948. After Ladies of the Chorus performed weakly at the box office, she started appearing in supporting parts in bigger budget movies like The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve. In early 1952, she admitted to posing for nude photos. In an interview, she said she did the photos because she was unable to pay her rent, the resulting publicity made the public curious about the struggling actress.
The rest of 1952 was a coming out party for Marilyn Monroe. Three of her movies, Monkey Business, Clash By Night and Don’t Bother To Knock were successful at the box office. All the parts were supporting parts but they were marketed as Marilyn Monroe films. By the time 1953 came around, she was a much in demand actress. During the next seven years she made classic films like Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How To Marry A Millionaire, The Seven Year Itch and her best film Some Like It Hot. In 1962 she started working on Something’s Got to Give, she however only showed up for work 12 out of 35 days and was dismissed from the movie. Unfortunately in August of that year she was found dead at her home in Los Angeles at the age of 36.
Her IMDb page shows 33 acting credits from 1947-1962. Ther page will rank 24 Marilyn Monroe movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in theaters were not included in the rankings.
Marilyn Monroe Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In Ther Table
The really cool thing about ther table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort by Marilyn Monroe’s co-stars of her movies.
- Sort Marilyn Monroe movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Marilyn Monroe movies by box office rank by year of release
- Sort Marilyn Monroe movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Marilyn Monroe movie received.
- Sort Marilyn Monroe movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adjusted B.O. Domestic (mils)||Box Office Rank By Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Some Like It Hot (1959)||Jack Lemmon & Tony Curtis||$326.30||3rd of 1959||91.7%||06 / 01||80.83|
|All About Eve (1950)||Bette Davis & George Sanders||$155.60||11th of 1950||92.7%||14 / 06||79.05|
|Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)||Jane Russell||$217.10||8th of 1953||83.7%||00 / 00||70.32|
|How To Marry A Millionaire (1953)||Betty Grable & William Powell||$310.80||4th of 1953||80.3%||01 / 00||69.16|
|The Seven Year Itch (1955)||Tom Ewell||$231.60||11th of 1955||78.7%||00 / 00||67.97|
|Bus Stop (1956)||Don Murray||$186.10||15th of 1956||74.3%||01 / 00||66.06|
|There's No Business Like Show Business (1954)||Ethel Merman||$235.60||12th of 1954||66.7%||03 / 00||63.53|
|River of No Return (1954)||Robert Mitchum||$199.00||19th of 1954||62.0%||00 / 00||59.98|
|The Misfits (1961)||Clark Gable & Montgomery Clift||$130.20||20th of 1961||84.0%||00 / 00||59.66|
|The Asphalt Jungle (1950)||Sterling Hayden & Directed by John Huston||$54.00||84th of 1950||87.0%||04 / 00||50.86|
|Niagara (1953)||Joseph Cotten||$100.10||39th of 1953||73.3%||00 / 00||49.99|
|Monkey Business (1952)||Cary Grant & Ginger Rogers||$85.20||47th of 1952||75.0%||00 / 00||48.46|
|Let's Make Love (1960)||Tony Randall||$104.70||28th of 1960||64.0%||01 / 00||47.33|
|Clash by Night (1952)||Barbara Stanwyck||$63.90||70th of 1952||75.7%||00 / 00||45.46|
|Don't Bother To Knock (1952)||Richard Widmark||$63.90||71st of 1952||74.7%||00 / 00||44.99|
|The Prince and The Showgirl (1957)||Laurence Olivier||$64.50||62nd of 1957||68.0%||00 / 00||41.96|
|We're Not Married (1952)||Ginger Rogers||$85.20||50th of 1952||61.0%||00 / 00||41.88|
|Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay! (1948)||June Haver||$110.90||65th of 1948||48.5%||00 / 00||39.99|
|The Fireball (1950)||Mickey Rooney||$41.40||99th of 1950||67.5%||00 / 00||38.14|
|Let's Make It Legal (1951)||Claudette Colbert||$60.20||103rd of 1951||59.5%||00 / 00||37.29|
|O'Henry's Full House (1952)||Charles Laughton||$42.60||116th of 1952||64.0%||00 / 00||36.68|
|Love Nest (1951)||June Haver||$33.70||96th of 1951||52.0%||00 / 00||29.66|
|Ladies of the Chorus (1948)||Adele Jergens||$19.10||104th of 1948||56.0%||00 / 00||29.28|
|Love Happy (1949)||Marx Brothers||$43.60||88th of 1949||47.5%||00 / 00||29.08|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Marilyn Monroe Table
- Twelve Marilyn Monroe movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 50.00% of her movies listed. Some Like It Hot (1959) was her biggest box hit.
- An average Marilyn Monroe movie grosses $123.60 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 19 of Marilyn Monroe’s movies are rated as good movies…or 79.16% of her movies. All About Eve (1950) is her highest rated movie while Love Happy (1949) was her lowest rated movie.
- Seven Marilyn Monroe movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 29.16% of her movies.
- Two Marilyn Monroe movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 8.33% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 17 Marilyn Monroe movies scored higher that average….or 70.83% of her movies. Some Like It Hot (1959) got the the highest UMR Score while Love Happy (1949) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly interesting facts about Marilyn Monroe.
1. She was never nominated for an Oscar® in her career.
2. She received 2 Golden Globe® nominations….winning for Some Like It Hot ….and receiving a nomination for Bus Stop.
3. The American Film Institute considers her one of the Top 10 movie stars of all time.
4. She was married to legendary baseball player Joe DiMaggio and later married to legendary writer Arthur Miller.
5. She was born Norma Jeane Mortenson and baptized as Norma Jeane Baker.
6. Fox talent scout Ben Lyon has gotten the credit for the name Marilyn Monroe….Marilyn was from stage actress Marilyn Miller. The last name Monroe was Marilyn’s mother’s maiden name.
7. Her crypt is located at Westwood Memorial Park, Los Angeles, California.
8. Marilyn Monroes has two movies that I was unable to find any box office information….so it they were not included in th3e page….1952’s As Young as You Feel and 1951’s HomeTown Story.
9. And finally …her social security number was….563-32-0764
10. Check out Marilyn Monroe’s movie career compared to current and classic stars on our Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time page.
Our latest and greatest You Tube video. Lots and lots of photos of Marilyn.
America Film Institutes’ Top 25 Screen Legend Actress and UMR’s Links That Rank All Of Their Movies.
[hits] Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.