Want to know the best Marvel Movies and DC Movies? How about the worst Marvel Movies and DC Movies? Curious about Marvel Movies and DC Movies’ box office grosses or which Marvel Movies and DC Movies picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Marvel Movies and DC Movies got the best reviews from critics and audiences…how about which ones got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
As a kid I remember always hearing about which comic book company was the best. Many of my friends were in the DC comic camp. Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and of course the classic Saturday morning cartoon, Justice League of America (1973-1986), were the strengths of their argument. My favorite superhero was Spider-Man, who was and still is one of Marvel comics most popular super heroes….so that put me in the less crowded camp of Marvel. As an adult the same argument seems to be still being asked…only now it is which comic company is bringing the best superhero movies to the big screen.
This Marvel Movies vs DC Movies page will look at the 72 DC/Marvel movies that have released in theaters and will be ranked by box office grosses, critical reception and award recognition. Also included in this page are 10 possibly interesting facts about DC/Marvel comics and movies. Finally there is a Marvel Movies vs DC Movies section that compares each companies average results.
Marvel Movies vs DC Movies Can Be Ranked 7 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Marvel Movies vs DC Movies by either Marvel or DC.
- Sort Marvel Movies vs DC Movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Marvel Movies vs DC Movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Marvel Movies vs DC Movies by worldwide yearly box office rank
- Sort Marvel Movies vs DC Movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Marvel Movie and DC Movie received.
- Sort Marvel Movies vs DC Movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|CreditRank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||S||UMR Score|
|CreditRank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review %||Oscar Nom / Win||S||UMR Score|
|1||The Dark Knight (2008)||DC Movies &
|533.30||642.5||1,208.4||1||92||08 / 02||98.8|
|2||Spider-Man 2 (2004)||Marvel Movies &
|373.60||520.4||1,091.7||2||88||03 / 01||98.2|
|3||Iron Man (2008)||Marvel Movies &
Robert Downey, Jr.
|318.40||383.6||705.0||2||89||02 / 00||98.1|
|4||Superman (1978)||DC Movies &
|138.00||510.1||1,123.8||3||88||03 / 00||98.1|
|5||Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)||Marvel Movies &
|333.20||352.8||818.8||3||88||02 / 00||97.9|
|6||The Dark Knight Rises (2012)||DC Movies &
|448.10||487.0||1,178.4||2||88||00 / 00||97.8|
|7||Logan (2017)||Marvel Movies &
|226.30||226.3||226.3||11||86||00 / 00||97.5|
|8||The Avengers (2012)||Marvel Movies &
Samuel L. Jackson
|623.40||677.4||1,642.8||1||86||01 / 00||97.5|
|9||Thor: Ragnarok (2017)||Marvel Movies &
|313.40||313.4||851.5||8||86||00 / 00||NP||97.4|
|10||X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)||Marvel Movies &
|233.90||247.7||792.1||9||84||01 / 00||97.3|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Marvel Movies vs DC Movies Table
- Fifty-five Marvel Movies vs DC Movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 79.71% of the movies listed. The Avengers (2012) is the biggest box office hit.
- An average Marvel Movies vs DC Moviesmovie grosses $243.70 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 39 Marvel and DC movies are rated as good movies…or 6093% of the movies listed. The Dark Knight (2008) is the highest rated movie while Steel (1997) is the lowest rated movie.
- Sixteen Marvel Movies vs DC Movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 25.00% of the movies listed.
- Three Marvel Movies vs DC Movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 4.68% of the movies listed.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) is 60.00. 50 Marvel Movies vs DC Moviesmovies scored higher that average….or 78.12% of the movies listed. The Dark Knight (2008) got the the highest UMR Score while Steel (1997) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Marvel Movies vs DC Movies
1. DC (Detective Comics) was formed in 1934. Marvel Comics was formed in 1939. Currently these two companies have a 80% share of the comic book market.
2. DC’s first big successes were when they introduced Superman in 1938 and Batman in 1939. Marvel’s first big successes were the introductions of the Fantastic Four in 1961, Spiderman in 1962 and the X-Men in 1963.
3. DC’s first superhero big screen adaptation was 1966’s Batman the Movie starring Adam West as Batman. Marvel’s first big screen movie was 1986’s Howard the Duck which was produced by George Lucas.
4. DC had the first big successes on the big screen. The Superman franchise that started in 1978 and their Batman franchise that started in 1989 became some of the biggest box office hits of all-time.. Marvel had to wait until 2002’s Spiderman before they got to experience the massive box office success that DC had been receiving.
5. Since 2002…..Marvel has become the king of the superhero box office…..although DC has the successful Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy in their corner….Marvel can boast the Iron Man franchise, The Avengers franchise, the Captain America franchise, the Thor franchise and X-Men franchise.
6. No superhero movie has ever been nominated for a Best Picture Oscar® nomination……..there have been two superhero movies that have earned Worst Picture of the year awards…..1986’s Howard the Duck and 2004’s Catwoman.
7. Want to know how big Marvel movies have become? The Disney company bought the rights of the Marvel movies and other Marvel properties for 4.4 billion dollars in 2009.
Marvel Movies vs DC Movies The Final Comparison
So far there have been 46 Marvel Movies. 39 have crossed the $100 million mark. An average Marvel movie grosses $244.45 million in domestic box office. Marvel Movies have an average 66.60% critic/audience rating. Marvel Movies have earned 15 Oscar® nominations…winning 1 Oscar®.
So far there have been 24 DC Movies. 17 have crossed the $100 million mark. An average DC movie grosses $248.70 million in domestic box office. DC Movies have an average 59.50% critic/audience rating. DC Movies have earned 20 Oscar® nominations…winning 4 Oscar®.
6,697 total views, 0 views today