Want to know the best Maureen O’Hara movies? How about the worst Maureen O’Hara movies? Curious about Maureen O’Hara’s box office grosses or which Maureen O’Hara movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Maureen O’Hara movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
She was John Wayne’s favorite leading lady. She played Esmeralda 57 years before Demi Moore provided the voice of Esmeralda in The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939). She was in Alfred Hitchcock’s last English produced movie, 1939’s Jamaica Inn, before he came to Hollywood. She was in director Sam Peckinpah’s first ever movie – The Deadly Companions (1961). She starred in the Best Picture Oscar® winning movie – How Green Was My Valley(1941). She was in one the greatest Christmas movies of all-time – Miracle on 34th Street (1947). She was in one of the greatest romantic movies of all-time – The Quiet Man (1952). She was in one of the most popular live action Disney movies of all-time – The Parent Trap (1961). She starred with some of the greatest leading men in the history of Hollywood….John Wayne (5 times), Charles Laughton (3 times), John Payne (3 times), Anthony Quinn(3 times), Henry Fonda (2 times), James Stewart (2 times), Tyrone Power (2 times), Errol Flynn, John Garfield, Sir Alec Guinness, Fred MacMurray and Vincent Price. She is of course the legendary actress, Maureen O’ Hara.
Her IMDb page shows 65 acting credits from 1938-2000. This page will rank 53 Maureen O’Hara movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos, and bit parts were not included in the rankings.
Maureen O’Hara Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In Ther Table
The really cool thing about ther table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort by Maureen O’Hara movies by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Maureen O’Hara movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Maureen O’Hara movies by domestic box office rank
- Sort Maureen O’Hara movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Maureen O’Hara movie received.
- Sort Maureen O’Hara movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||How Green Was My Valley (1941)
AA Best Picture Win
|Walter Pidgeon &
Directed by John Ford
|9.70||310.0||310.00||2||81||10 / 05||99.8|
|2||Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Natalie Wood||7.20||173.6||173.60||36||86||04 / 03||98.6|
|3||The Quiet Man (1952)
AA Best Picture Nom
|John Wayne &
|10.60||172.2||262.80||10||84||07 / 02||98.5|
|4||Parent Trap (1961)||Brian Keith &
|29.90||362.1||362.10||5||79||02 / 00||97.2|
|5||The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)||Charles Laughton||6.00||192.2||192.20||18||83||02 / 00||96.7|
|6||Sitting Pretty (1948)||Clifton Webb||9.50||212.4||212.40||9||77||01 / 00||95.7|
|7||The Black Swan (1942)||Tyrone Power &
|8.60||265.1||265.10||12||71||03 / 01||94.9|
|8||Immortal Sargeant (1943)||Henry Fonda||7.10||213.6||213.60||28||73||00 / 00||94.4|
|9||The Long Gray Line (1955)||Tyrone Power||11.10||192.2||192.20||26||75||00 / 00||94.3|
|11||Sinbad the Sailor (1947)||Douglas Fairbanks Jr. &
|7.60||183.5||183.50||33||71||00 / 00||92.3|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Maureen O’Hara Table
- Twenty-five Maureen O’Hara movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 47.17% of her movies listed. The Parent Trap (1961) was her biggest box hit.
- An average Maureen O’Hara movie grosses $109.50 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 33 of Maureen O’Hara’s movies are rated as good movies…or 62.26% of her movies. The Quiet Man (1952) is her highest rated movie while Bagdad (1949) was her lowest rated movie.
- Thirteen Maureen O’Hara movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 24.52% of her movies.
- Five Maureen O’Hara movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 9.43% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 32 Maureen O’Hara movies scored higher that average….or 60.37% of her movies. How Green Was My Valley (1941) got the the highest UMR Score while Lisbon (1956) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly interesting facts about Maureen O’Hara.
1. She was born Maureen FitzSimons in Ireland on November 17th 1920…..she passed away on October 24th, 2015.
2. She was married three times and has one daughter, Brownyn FitzSimons. Her third marriage to Charles F. Blair ended tragically in 1978 when Blair died in an airplane explosion.
3. Oscar® winning actor Charles Laughton gave O’Hara her biggest break in movies after he saw her screen test. Laughton talked a film producer into giving O’Hara a 7 year contract that was later sold to RKO when World War 2 started.
4. Her first major box office hit was How Green Was My Valley which won the Best Picture Oscar® in 1942 and was directed by legendary director John Ford.
5. She would end up making 5 movies with John Ford…..How Green Was My Valley, Rio Grande, The Quiet Man, The Long Gray Line and The Wings of Eagles.
6. Amazingly she was never nominated for an Oscar® or a Golden Globe® nomination in her entire career. How her performance in The Quiet Man did not get a nomination I will never know. She was elected into the Irish Hall of Fame in 2011….I am surprised it took them that long to elect her. In 2014 she was given an Honorary Oscar®….one that was well overdue too.
7. Speaking of The Quiet Man…..she says only three people knew what she whispered into John Wayne’s ear at the end of the movie that gave Wayne the very surprised look….they were John Wayne, John Ford and herself. She says they never told and she never will either.
8. In 2004 she wrote her autobiography. ‘Tis Herself A Memoir is an awesome read with many memorable memories and stories….it is highly recommended.
9. In her memoir she says her goal is to reach the age of 102….my hope is that not only will she reach her goal….but will have to create a new goal when she reaches 102.
10. Check out Maureen O’Hara‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
822 total views, 0 views today