Want to know the best Michael Douglas movies? How about the worst Michael Douglas movies? Curious about Michael Douglas’s box office grosses or which Michael Douglas movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Michael Douglas movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
When trying to figure which movie page to do next, I was getting numerous suggestions for one of the most famous father/son actors in Hollywood history, Kirk Douglas and Michael Douglas. So I decided to do both of them. You can check out the Kirk Douglas’ page at this link Kirk Douglas Movies. Before doing this page, I was aware that Michael Douglas’ big break was on the television show, The Streets of San Francisco (1972-1976).
Before writing this page I did not know that Michael Douglas (1966-) was nominated for a Golden Globe® as best newcomer in the 1969 movie Hail, Hero! It would be 15 years before he would become a movie star. In 1984, he starred in the box office smash, Romancing the Stone, co-starring Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito.
From 1984-2000, Douglas would become one of the biggest and most bankable movie stars acting in movies. He would appear in the box office hits like….Fatal Attraction (1987), War of the Roses (1989), Basic Instinct (1992), Disclosure (1994) and A Perfect Murder (1998)….and critically acclaimed movies like Wall Street (he won an Oscar® for his role), The American President, and Traffic (won Oscar® for Best Picture).
It was announced on August 16, 2010, that Douglas was suffering from throat cancer and underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatment. After losing 32 pounds due to the treatment, Douglas went back to work and has been working steadily.
His IMDb page shows 56 acting credits from 1966-2015. This page will rank 41 Michael Douglas movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in theaters were not included in the rankings.
Michael Douglas Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Michael Douglas movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Michael Douglas movies by actual domestic box office grosses
- Sort Michael Douglas movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Michael Douglas movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Michael Douglas movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Michael Douglas movie received.
- Sort Michael Douglas movies by Cogerson Movie Score. Cogerson Movie Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the sort and search buttons to make this a very interactive table.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||Co-Stars||Actual Box Office (Millions)||Adjusted Domestic Box Office (Millions)||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||Cogerson Movie Score|
|Fatal Attraction (1987)||Glenn Close||$156.65||$325.60||73.5%||06 / 00||72.98|
|Traffic (2000)||Dennis Quaid & Catherine Zeta-Jones||$124.12||$186.80||84.5%||05 / 04||72.45|
|The War of the Roses (1989)||Kathleen Turner & Danny DeVito||$86.89||$177.80||74.0%||00 / 00||67.02|
|Basic Instinct (1992)||Sharon Stone||$117.73||$230.60||66.0%||02 / 00||66.98|
|Romancing the Stone (1984)||Kathleen Turner & Danny DeVito||$76.57||$185.10||77.5%||01 / 00||64.85|
|The China Syndrome (1979)||Jack Lemmon & Jane Fonda||$51.72||$167.30||77.5%||04 / 00||63.60|
|Wall Street (1987)||Charlie Sheen||$43.85||$90.90||75.5%||01 / 01||62.43|
|Disclosure (1994)||Demi Moore||$83.02||$164.80||61.0%||00 / 00||56.88|
|The Jewel of the Nile (1985)||Kathleen Turner & Danny DeVito||$75.97||$173.80||54.0%||00 / 00||55.00|
|The American President (1995)||Annette Bening & Michael J. Fox||$60.08||$112.10||79.0%||01 / 00||52.14|
|Coma (1978)||Richard Widmark||$32.12||$111.20||72.0%||00 / 00||47.44|
|Black Rain (1989)||Andy Garcia||$46.21||$94.20||61.0%||02 / 00||46.98|
|Falling Down (1993)||Robert Duvall||$40.90||$80.40||75.5%||00 / 00||46.21|
|The Game (1997)||Sean Penn||$48.32||$85.30||73.5%||00 / 00||44.91|
|A Perfect Murder (1998)||Gwyneth Paltrow||$67.64||$116.90||59.5%||00 / 00||44.45|
|The Ghost and the Darkness (1996)||Val Kilmer||$38.62||$70.60||59.0%||01 / 01||40.79|
|Wonder Boys (2000)||Robert Downey, Jr.||$19.39||$29.20||78.0%||03 / 01||36.94|
|Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010)||Shia LaBeouf||$52.47||$54.40||58.5%||00 / 00||36.64|
|Don't Say a Word (2001)||Sean Bean||$55.00||$78.80||42.5%||00 / 00||33.60|
|Last Vegas (2013)||Robert DeNiro & Morgan Freeman||$63.91||$64.10||54.0%||00 / 00||33.42|
|You Me and Dupree (2006)||Owen Wilson & Matt Dillon||$75.63||$93.40||38.5%||00 / 00||32.09|
|Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009)||Matthew McConaughey||$55.25||$60.10||42.0%||00 / 00||29.30|
|It's My Turn (1980)||Jill Clayburgh||$12.87||$40.60||59.5%||00 / 00||28.94|
|Haywire (2012)||Ewan McGregor||$18.94||$19.50||72.5%||00 / 00||28.53|
|A Chorus Line (1985)||Terrence Mann||$14.20||$32.50||49.0%||03 / 00||25.86|
|Shining Through (1992)||Liam Neeson||$21.63||$42.20||45.5%||00 / 00||25.51|
|The Sentinel (2006)||Keifer Sutherland||$36.28||$44.70||46.5%||00 / 00||25.21|
|The Star Chamber (1983)||Hal Holbrook||$5.56||$14.60||66.5%||00 / 00||25.12|
|Solitary Man (2010)||Susan Sarandon||$4.36||$4.90||73.0%||00 / 00||25.11|
|Running (1979)||Susan Anspach||$6.01||$19.50||57.5%||00 / 00||24.02|
|Summertree (1971)||Jack Warden||$1.54||$7.30||62.5%||00 / 00||23.34|
|Napoleon and Samantha (1972)||Jodie Foster & Johnny Whitaker||$3.74||$17.90||52.0%||01 / 00||22.38|
|The In-Laws (2003)||Albert Brooks||$20.45||$27.60||45.5%||00 / 00||22.10|
|Adam At Six A.M. (1970)||Lee Purcell||$0.94||$4.90||60.0%||00 / 00||21.98|
|King of California (2007)||Evan Rachel Wood||$0.27||$0.42||65.0%||00 / 00||21.50|
|One Night at McCool's (2001)||Matt Dillon||$6.29||$8.90||47.5%||00 / 00||17.42|
|It Runs in the Family (2003)||Kirk Douglas||$7.49||$9.70||41.5%||00 / 00||16.52|
|Hail Hero! (1969)||Arthur Kennedy||$0.88||$4.90||38.5%||00 / 00||16.34|
|And So It Goes (2014)||Diane Keatonn||$15.16||$15.40||36.5%||00 / 00||15.84|
|Beyond The Reach (2014)||Jeremy Irvine||$0.05||$0.05||44.5%||00 / 00||14.74|
|Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009)||Jesse Metcalfe||$0.03||$0.06||32.0%||00 / 00||10.61|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Michael Douglas Table
- Eleven Michael Douglas movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 26.82% of his movies listed. Fatal Attraction (1987) is his biggest box office hit.
- An average Michael Douglas movie grosses $74.82 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 20 of Michael Douglas’s movies are rated as good movies…or 48.78% of his movies. Traffic (2000) is his highest rated movie while Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) was his lowest rated movie.
- Twelve Michael Douglas movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 29.26% of his movies.
- Four Michael Douglas movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 9.75% of his movies.
- An average Cogerson Movie Score is 39.86. 16 Michael Douglas movies scored higher than that average….or 39.02% of his movies. Fatal Attraction (1987) got the the highest Cogerson Movie Score while Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) got the lowest Cogerson Movie Score.
10 Possibly Interesting Facts on Michael Douglas
1. Michael Douglas has won two Academy Awards, his first Oscar® came as the producer of the 1975’s One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, which won the Oscar® for Best Picture. Twelve years later he won the Best Actor Oscar for 1987’s Wall Street.
2. Douglas and his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones both share the same birthday…September 25th……just 25 years apart.
3. Douglas has co-starred with Kathleen Turner in three box office hits…..Romancing the Stone, Jewel of the Nile and The War of the Roses…..Danny Devito costars in all three movies and directed their third and final pairing.
4. He has been a major supporter of gun control since John Lennon was murdered in 1980.
5. Douglas got the part of Jack T. Colton in Romancing the Stone only after Sylvester Stallone and Christopher Reeve passed on the part.
6. His character from Wall Street, Gordon Gekko, is on the list of 50 greatest villians in movie history.
7. Douglas originally declined the role of Robert Wakefield in Traffic, and it was offered to Harrison Ford, who accepted. Ford worked with director to improve the character, but then decided not to do the movie. Douglas liked the change in the character so much, he accepted the revamped part.
8. Robert Redford was originally cast in the lead role in The American President, but was replaced with Douglas after falling out with director Rob Reiner.
9. Michael Douglas turned downed the following roles….Ocean’s Eleven (Clooney part), Sin City (Willis part), Misery (Caan part), Love Story, Yentl, and Starman (Bridges part).
10. Check out Michael Douglas’s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
[hits] Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.