Want to know the best Rock Hudson movies? How about the worst Rock Hudson movies? Curious about Rock Hudson’s box office grosses or which Rock Hudson movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Rock Hudson movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Since I started my new hobby, Ultimate Movie Rankings, my mother has been requesting a Rock Hudson page. So since she is my mother, and since she is such a good mother, what can a son do other than produce a Rock Hudson page.
Hudson was born Roy Harold Scherer, Jr in 1925. After serving as a mechanic in World War II, Hudson moved to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career. He appeared in his first film in 1948’s Fighter Squadron. His first big success was 1954’s Magnificent Obsession (one of my mom’s favorites) with Jane Wyman.In 1956 he appeared in Giant which co-starred James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor. It was his biggest hit of his career and earned over $454 million in adjusted for inflation dollars at the box office and Hudson received his only Oscar® nomination for his role as Bick Benedict.
The peak of his career was the time frame of 1957-1964, he appeared on Quigley Publishing’s Top Ten Stars every year, including the top spot in 1957 and 1959. During this time span he made three very popular romantic comedies with Doris Day. The best of those three movies is the classic 1959 film Pillow Talk (my mom’s second favorite Hudson movie). After 1964’s Send Me No Flowers, his movie grosses started to decline. By 1970 his movies were no longer popular at the theaters. He then turned towards television, most notably a show called McMillan and Wife which ran from 1971 to 1977. In 1985 he passed away from an AIDS related illness.
His IMDb page shows 75 acting credits from 1948-1985. This page will rank 50 Rock Hudson movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in theaters were not included in the rankings.
Rock Hudson Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Rock Hudson movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Rock Hudson movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Rock Hudson movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Rock Hudson movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations each Michael Biehn movie received and how many Oscar® wins each Rock Hudson movie won.
- Sort Rock Hudson movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the search and sort button to make this page very interactive. For example: Type in Doris Day in the search box and the three Day/Hudson movies will pop right up.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
AA Best Picture Nom
AA Best Actor Nom
|Elizabeth Taylor &
|31.40||494.3||705.50||4||86||10 / 01||99.1|
|2||Pillow Talk (1959)||Doris Day||22.20||320.5||320.50||6||84||05 / 01||97.8|
|3||Written on the Wind (1956)||Robert Stack &
|12.60||197.7||197.70||17||78||03 / 01||95.8|
|4||Lover Come Back (1961)||Doris Day||24.30||283.9||283.90||7||79||01 / 00||95.4|
|5||Magnificent Obsession (1954)||Jane Wyman||14.90||279.4||279.40||10||78||01 / 00||95.2|
|6||Come September (1961)||Gina Lollobrigida||18.60||217.1||217.10||9||74||00 / 00||93.8|
|7||All That Heaven Allows (1955)||Jane Wyman||8.90||147.3||147.30||32||84||00 / 00||91.3|
|8||Winchester '73 (1950)||James Stewart||6.40||115.8||115.80||32||87||00 / 00||88.4|
|9||Bend of the River (1952)||James Stewart||8.30||131.1||131.10||18||82||00 / 00||88.4|
|10||A Farewell to Arms (1957)||Vittorio De Sica &
|14.30||220.7||220.70||6||50||01 / 00||84.8|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Rock Hudson Table
- Thirteen Rock Hudson movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 25.49% of his movies listed. Giant (1956) is his biggest box office ht when looking at adjusted domestic box office gross.
- An average Rock Hudson movie grosses $91.90 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 31 of Rock Hudson’s movies are rated as good movies…or 60.78% of his movies. Winchester ’73 (1950) is his highest rated movie while Embryo (1976) was his lowest rated movie.
- Twelve Rock Hudson movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 23.52% of his movies.
- Three Rock Hudson movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 5.88% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 24 Rock Hudson movies scored higher than that average….or 47.05% of his movies. Giant (1956) got the the highest UMR Score while Embryo (1976) got the lowest UMR Score.
Check out Rock Hudson’s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
[hits] Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.