Want to know the best Sophia Loren movies? How about the worst Sophia Loren movies? Curious about Sophia Loren’s box office grosses or which Sophia Loren movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Sophia Loren movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which movie got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Sophia Loren (1934-) is ranked as AFI’s (America Film Institute) 21st greatest female screen legend. Her first movie appearance was in 1950 while her most recent movie appearance was in 2009’s Nine. This Sophia Loren (1934-) Ultimate Movie Rankings page comes from a request on our request hot line. While researching the movie career of Sophia Loren it quickly became apparent that we would have to concentrate on Loren’s Hollywood career. It is not that I have anything against the Italian cinema….it is just that I need domestic box office numbers to calculate my rankings. Sadly the movies in my Loren table represent less than half of her movies.
Her IMDb page shows 94 acting credits from 1950-2014. This page will rank 31 Sophia Loren movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that received limited North America releases were not included in the rankings.
Sophia Loren Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In Ther Table
The really cool thing about ther table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Sophia Loren movies by the co-stars of her movies.
- Sort Sophia Loren movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Sophia Loren movies by yearly box office rank
- Sort Sophia Loren movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Sophia Loren movie received.
- Sort Sophia Loren movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||El Cid (1961)||Charlton Heston||34.30||400.8||400.80||4||82||03 / 00||97.8|
|2||Two Women (1961)
AA Best Actress Win
|Jean-Paul Belmondo||8.60||100.2||100.20||24||85||01 / 01||89.0|
|3||Houseboat (1958)||Cary Grant||10.00||144.2||144.20||12||64||02 / 00||86.1|
|4||Grumpier Old Men (1995)||Walter Matthau &
|71.50||142.2||142.20||20||53||00 / 00||78.6|
|5||Boy On a Dolphin (1957)||Alan Ladd &
|8.60||132.4||132.40||23||53||00 / 00||77.1|
|6||Arabesque (1966)||Gregory Peck||10.00||78.6||78.60||31||67||00 / 00||74.0|
|7||The Key (1958)||William Holden||6.30||90.6||90.60||37||62||00 / 00||73.0|
|8||A Special Day (1977)||Marcello Mastroianni||1.80||6.8||6.80||82||87||02 / 00||72.2|
|9||Operation Crossbow (1965)||Paul Henreid||10.00||84.8||84.80||25||63||00 / 00||72.2|
|10||The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)||James Mason &
|4.80||43.7||43.70||55||75||01 / 00||72.1|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Sophia Loren Table
- Five Sophia Loren movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 16.12% of her movies listed. El Cid (1961) was her biggest box office hit.
- An average Sophia Loren movie grossed $67.30 million in adjusted box office gross
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 13 of Sophia Loren’s movies are rated as good movies…or 41.93% of her movies. A Special Day (1977) is her highest rated movie while Lady L (1965) was her lowest rated movie.
- Nine Sophia Loren movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 29.03% of her movies.
- One Sophia Loren movie won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 5.71% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 14 Sophia Loren movies scored higher that average….or 45.16% of her movies. El Cid (1961) got the the highest UMR Score while Firepower (1979) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Sophia Loren
1. Sophia Loren was born Sofia Scicolone in Rome, Italy.
2. Sophia Loren’s path to stardom….Cliff Notes style. After being named “Miss Elegance” in the 1948 Miss Italy beauty contest she was noticed by movie producer Carlo Ponti. Ponti helped get her started in the Italian movie business. From uncredited roles to supporting roles to starring roles…Loren became very famous in Italy. In 1956…Hollywood came calling and she appeared in her first Hollywood movie…1957’s Boy On A Dolphin.
3. Sophia Loren was nominated for two Best Actress Oscars®. She won the Oscar® for her role in 1960’s Two Women Her other nomination was for 1964’s Marriage Italian Style.
4. Sophia Loren was nominated for three movie Golden Globes®. She received a Best Actress Golden Globe® nomination for 1960’s It Started In Naples and 1964’s Marriage Italian Style. In 1994 she received a Best Supporting Actress Golden Globe® nomination for Ready To Wear.
5. Sophia Loren was nominated 6 times for the Golden Globe award…World Film Favorite. She won the award 4 times…..1964, 1965, 1969 and 1977.
6. Sophia Loren has been married one time. She was married to Carlo Ponti (the guy in Fact #2) from 1966 until his death in 2007. They had two children.
7. Sophia Loren roles she turned down or was seriously considered for: Elizabeth Taylor parts in Cleopatra (1963), The Taming of the Shrew (1967) and The Comedians (1967). Julie Christie part in Doctor Zhivago (1965). Eva Marie Saint part in North by Northwest (1959). Julie Andrews part in The Princess Diaries (2001)
8. Marcello Mastroianni and Loren starred in 7 movies together.
Check out Sophia Loren‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
The critic/rating of some important Sophia Loren movies that did not see the light of day in many North America theaters. The last four movies listed co-starred Marcello Mastroianni. Loren and Mastroianni starred in 7 movies together.
- La favorita (1953) 57.5%
- The River Girl (1954) 65.0%
- Yesterday Today and Tomorrow (1963) 79.5%
- Sunflower (1970) 79.0%
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.
669 total views, 0 views today