Want to know the best Steven Spielberg movies? How about the worst Steven Spielberg movies? Curious about Steven Spielberg’s box office grosses or which Steven Spielberg movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Steven Spielberg movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
My first memory of Steven Spielberg? It was June 12th 1981. On that Friday morning, my father told me we were going to see a movie that was opening that I had never heard of before. My father could tell that I was not really interested. So he tried to get me excited about the movie. He said, “Look this movie is by the guy that made Star Wars and the guy that made Close Encounters. They got together and made a movie, it is supposed to be pretty good.” So we got ready and headed to an early afternoon showing of this movie.
When Raiders of the Lost Ark ended, I was convinced I had seen the greatest movie ever made. I went back that night to watch the movie a second time with some of my friends. Watching it the second time I really paid attention to the opening credits. Starring Harrison Ford (“hey that’s Han Solo”), story by George Lucas (“the Star Wars guy“), and directed by Steven Spielberg. I went to bed that night thinking, there is lots to learn about movies. Over thirty years later and I still go to bed thinking there is lots to learn about movies.
Steven Spielberg (1946-) has to be the most successful director of all time. He has had it all. Blockbuster movie after blockbuster movie. Critical darling after critical darling. Oscar® winning movie after Oscar® winning movie. His IMDb page shows 55 directing credits from 1959-2016. This page will rank 30 Steven Spielberg movies from Best to Worst in seven different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, video games and documentaries were not included in the rankings.
Steven Spielberg Movies Can Be Ranked 7 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort by Steven Spielberg’s stars of his movies.
- Sort Steven Spielberg movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Steven Spielberg movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Steven Spielberg movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and Oscar® wins each Steven Spielberg movie received.
- Sort Steven Spielberg movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- *** nominated for a Best Director Oscar®
- The power of this search button lets you sort the movies by year, actor or what ever you want…it makes playing with this table pretty fun.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adjusted B.O. Domestic (mils)||Adjusted B.O. Worldwide (mils)||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Schindler's List (1993) ***||Liam Neeson||$195.60||$654.20||94.3%||12 / 07||95.85|
|Saving Private Ryan (1998) ***||Tom Hanks & Matt Damon||$389.20||$866.60||88.0%||11 / 05||92.86|
|Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) ***||Harrison Ford & Karen Allen||$770.70||$1200.70||91.3%||08 / 04||87.53|
|E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) ***||Henry Thomas & Drew Barrymore||$1220.60||$2056.00||82.7%||09 / 04||85.10|
|Lincoln (2012) ***||Daniel Day-Lewis & Sally Field||$193.00||$291.60||84.5%||12 / 02||82.82|
|Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) ***||Richard Dreyfuss||$477.80||$1126.80||86.5%||08 / 01||81.83|
|Jaws (1975)||Robert Shaw & Roy Scheider||$1106.20||$1973.20||91.5%||04 / 03||81.53|
|The Color Purple (1985)||Whoopi Goldberg||$223.60||$337.20||86.3%||11 / 00||79.21|
|Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)||Harrison Ford & Sean Connery||$418.70||$1007.40||87.7%||03 / 01||74.00|
|Jurassic Park (1993)||Jeff Goldblum||$775.90||$2051.90||83.5%||03 / 03||73.24|
|Catch Me if You Can (2002)||Leonardo DiCaprio & Tom Hanks||$239.30||$511.70||87.0%||02 / 00||72.19|
|Minority Report (2002)||Tom Cruise||$192.00||$521.00||87.0%||01 / 00||71.09|
|Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)||Harrison Ford||$451.30||$835.40||80.0%||02 / 01||70.00|
|War of the Worlds (2005)||Tom Cruise||$308.60||$779.70||70.7%||03 / 00||65.41|
|Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)||Harrison Ford & Cate Blanchett||$372.30||$923.90||67.0%||00 / 00||62.49|
|The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)||Jeff Goldblum & Julianne Moore||$420.70||$1136.40||56.0%||01 / 00||57.72|
|Bridge of Spies (2015)||Tom Hanks & Mark Rylance||$72.30||$166.30||86.5%||06 / 01||57.08|
|Munich (2005) ***||Eric Bana & Daniel Craig||$62.40||$172.00||79.7%||05 / 00||56.97|
|A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)||Jude Law & Meryl Streep||$117.30||$351.60||72.0%||02 / 00||54.49|
|Hook (1991)||Robin Williams & Dustin Hoffman||$239.60||$601.90||44.0%||05 / 00||53.68|
|War Horse (2011)||Benedict Cumberbatch||$84.90||$188.80||71.0%||06 / 00||50.90|
|Amistad (1997)||Matthew McConaughey & Morgan Freeman||$81.20||$119.70||74.5%||04 / 00||50.87|
|The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)||Daniel Craig||$82.50||$397.90||76.5%||01 / 00||48.94|
|Empire of the Sun (1987)||Christian Bale||$47.90||$143.40||79.0%||06 / 00||47.44|
|The Terminal (2004)||Tom Hanks & Zoe Sald||$105.70||$297.60||65.5%||00 / 00||47.14|
|Always (1989)||Richard Dreyfuss & John Goodman||$93.10||$156.80||61.5%||00 / 00||43.06|
|The Sugarland Express (1974)||Goldie Hawn||$33.80||$33.70||80.0%||00 / 00||42.87|
|Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)||John Lithgow||$78.80||$113.00||65.0%||00 / 00||42.62|
|1941 (1979)||John Candy & Warren Oates||$106.70||$311.10||45.0%||03 / 00||38.68|
|The BFG (2016)||Mark Rylance||$19.50||$19.50||72.0%||00 / 00||37.01|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Steven Spielberg Table
- Twenty Steven Spielberg movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 66.66% of his movies listed. 1975’s Jaws is still his biggest hit.
- An average Steven Spielberg movie grosses $298.90 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 27 of Steven Spielberg’s movies are rated as good movies…or 90.00% of his movies. Schindler’s List (1993) is his highest rated movie while Hook (1991) was his lowest rated movie.
- Twenty-four Steven Spielberg movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 80.00% of his movies.
- Twelve Steven Spielberg’s movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 40.00% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 28 of Steven Spielberg’s movies scored higher that average….or 93.33% of his movies. Schindler’s List (1993) got the the highest UMR Score while 1941 (1979) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Steven Spielberg
1. Steven Spielberg (1972-) was born in Cincinnati, Ohio.
2. Steven Spielberg has been nominated for 15 Oscars® in different categories in his career. He has won 3 Oscars®. Two for directing…Schindler’s List (1993) and Saving Private Ryan (1998). His third Oscar® win was for producing Schindler’s List (1993).
3. Steven Spielberg has been nominated for 7 Best Director Oscars® and 11 Best Director Golden Globes®. He has two Golden Globe® wins….Schindler’s List (1993) and Saving Private Ryan (1998).
4. Steven Spielberg has been married two times. His first marriage was to actress Amy Irving (1985-1989)…they have one child. His second marriage was to actress Kate Capshaw (1991-)…they have 5 children.
5. Steven Spielberg has many other IMDb credits. Currently he has 150 producing credits, 21 writing credits, 12 acting credits and 8 editor credits.
6. When looking at adjusted worldwide box office grosses….Spielberg has an incredible 6 movies that have grossed over 1 BILLION. Three of those six are actually pushing the 2 billion mark. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982), Jurassic Park (1993) and Jaws (1975).
7. Of the 28 Steven Spielberg directed movies…they have earned an incredible 112 Oscars® nominations. That is an average of 4.00 nominations per movie.
8. Of the 28 Steven Spielberg directed movies…..they have won 31 Oscars®,
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.