Want to know the best Tony Curtis movies? How about the worst Tony Curtis movies? Curious about Tony Curtis box office grosses or which Tony Curtis movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Tony Curtis movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Tony Curtis (1925-2010) was an Oscar®-nominated American actor whose career spanned over 7 decades. His IMDb page shows 128 acting credits from 1949-2008. This page will rank 61 Tony Curtis movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in theaters were not included in the rankings. This page was requested many moons ago by Dan and many other people.
Tony Curtis Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Tony Curtis movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Tony Curtis movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Tony Curtis movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Tony Curtis movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations each Tony Curtis movie received and how many Oscar® wins each Tony Curtis movie won.
- Sort Tony Curtis movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Box Office Rank by Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Spartacus (1960)||Kirk Douglas & Laurence Olivier||$387.50||3rd of 1960||88.00%||06 / 04||78.41|
|Some Like It Hot (1959)||Jack Lemmon & Marilyn Monroe||$326.30||3rd of 1959||91.67%||06 / 01||78.33|
|Great Race, The (1965)||Jack Lemmon & Natalie Wood||$254.60||6th of 1965||74.00%||05 / 01||69.00|
|Operation Petticoat (1959)||Cary Grant||$374.20||4th of 1960||77.33%||01 / 00||67.75|
|Defiant Ones, The (1958)||Sidney Poitier||$110.40||28th of 1958||79.00%||09 / 02||67.04|
|Vikings, The (1958)||Kirk Douglas & Ernest Borgnine||$252.20||5th of 1958||70.50%||00 / 00||64.14|
|Trapeze (1956)||Burt Lancaster||$318.30||3rd of 1956||63.50%||00 / 00||60.84|
|Boston Strangler, The (1968)||Henry Fonda||$147.10||13th of 1968||76.50%||00 / 00||58.76|
|Winchester '73 (1950)||James Stewart & Rock Hudson||$112.90||35th of 1950||87.33%||00 / 00||58.55|
|Sweet Smell of Success (1957)||Burt Lancaster||$96.80||39th of 1957||89.00%||00 / 00||56.83|
|Francis (1950)||Donald O'Connor||$145.50||13th of 1950||65.50%||00 / 00||53.33|
|Captain Newman, M.D. (1963)||Gregory Peck||$112.00||24th of 1963||71.33%||03 / 00||52.09|
|Great Imposter, The (1961)||Karl Malden||$97.60||36th of 1961||75.50%||00 / 00||50.61|
|Rat Race, The (1960)||Debbie Reynolds||$118.70||19th of 1960||65.50%||00 / 00||49.18|
|40 Pounds Of Trouble (1962)||Phil Silvers||$86.70||38th of 1963||75.50%||00 / 00||48.92|
|Taras Bulba (1962)||Yul Brynner||$109.20||30th of 1963||67.00%||01 / 00||48.82|
|Kings Go Forth (1958)||Frank Sinatra||$112.40||27th of 1958||66.50%||00 / 00||48.68|
|Goodbye Charlie (1964)||Walter Matthau & Debbie Reynolds||$91.00||20th of 1965||70.00%||00 / 00||47.00|
|Sex and the Single Girl (1964)||Henry Fonda & Natalie Wood||$108.90||15th of 1964||62.50%||00 / 00||46.26|
|Houdini (1953)||Janet Leigh||$76.60||67th of 1953||70.00%||00 / 00||44.77|
|City Across The River (1949)||Thelma Ritter||$81.70||86th of 1949||67.00%||00 / 00||44.15|
|Who Was That Lady? (1960)||Dean Martin & Janet Leigh||$108.20||24th of 1960||57.50%||00 / 00||43.79|
|Black Shield of Falworth, The (1954)||Janet Leigh||$94.20||60th of 1954||60.00%||00 / 00||42.80|
|Boeing, Boeing (1965)||Jerry Lewis||$67.00||39th of 1966||67.50%||00 / 00||42.10|
|Perfect Furlough, The (1958)||Janet Leigh||$92.30||42nd of 1959||55.00%||00 / 00||40.78|
|Six Bridges To Cross (1955)||Sal Mineo||$83.40||70th of 1955||57.00%||00 / 00||39.72|
|List of Adrian Messenger, The (1963)||George C. Scott & Directed by John Huston||$44.80||61st of 1963||69.50%||00 / 00||39.60|
|So This Is Paris (1954)||Gloria DeHaven||$78.50||86th of 1955||57.50%||00 / 00||39.19|
|Beachhead (1954)||Frank Lovejoy||$73.30||75th of 1954||59.00%||00 / 00||39.09|
|Prince Who Was A Thief, The (1951)||Piper Laurie||$71.10||82nd of 1951||59.00%||00 / 00||38.75|
|Square Jungle, The (1956)||Ernest Borgnine||$43.80||107th of 1956||66.50%||00 / 00||38.05|
|Lady Gambles, The (1949)||Barbara Stanwyck||$59.90||114th of 1949||59.00%||00 / 00||37.01|
|Sierra (1950)||Audie Murphy||$42.30||100th of 1950||64.50%||00 / 00||36.88|
|Outsider, The (1961)||James Franciscus||$24.60||121st of 1961||70.00%||00 / 00||36.71|
|Johnny Dark (1954)||Piper Laurie||$76.20||70th of 1954||52.50%||00 / 00||36.48|
|Kansas Raiders (1950)||Audie Murphy||$60.20||111th of 1951||56.50%||00 / 00||35.89|
|Mirror Crack'd, The (1980)||Elizabeth Taylor & Rock Hudson||$41.50||58th of 1980||62.50%||00 / 00||35.81|
|Paris When It Sizzles (1964)||Audrey Hepburn & William Holden||$51.20||46th of 1964||59.00%||00 / 00||35.67|
|Rawhide Years, The (1955)||Arthur Kennedy||$46.30||106th of 1956||57.00%||00 / 00||33.97|
|Purple Mask, The (1955)||Colleen Miller||$44.30||122nd of 1955||57.00%||00 / 00||33.66|
|Wild and Wonderful (1964)||Christine Kaufmann||$51.20||50th of 1964||54.00%||00 / 00||33.32|
|Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969)||Bourvil||$19.00||79th of 1969||63.50%||00 / 00||32.78|
|Mister Cory (1957)||Martha Hyer||$43.00||95th of 1957||54.50%||00 / 00||32.28|
|Little Miss Marker (1980)||Walter Matthau||$20.50||79th of 1980||61.50%||00 / 00||32.08|
|Johnny Stool Pidgeon (1949)||Shelly Winters||$24.10||139th of 1940||60.00%||00 / 00||31.94|
|Flesh and Fury (1952)||Jan Sterling||$26.60||143rd of 1952||59.00%||00 / 00||31.85|
|Midnight Story, The (1957)||Marisa Pavan||$35.50||126th of 1957||56.00%||00 / 00||31.82|
|No Room For The Groom (1952)||Piper Laurie||$34.70||120th of 1952||56.00%||00 / 00||31.70|
|Forbidden (1953)||Joanne Dru||$26.20||133rd of 1953||58.50%||00 / 00||31.55|
|Don't Make Waves (1967)||Claudia Cardinale||$21.60||74th of 1967||59.50%||00 / 00||31.31|
|Son of Ali Baba (1952)||Piper Laurie||$53.20||97th of 1952||48.50%||00 / 00||31.05|
|Not With My Wife, You Don't (1966)||George C. Scott||$17.20||94th of 1966||55.50%||00 / 00||29.37|
|I Was A Shoplifter (1950)||Rock Hudson||$31.40||136th of 1950||51.00%||00 / 00||28.84|
|Last Tycoon, The (1976)||Robert DeNiro & Robert Mitchum||$13.80||93rd of 1976||53.50%||01 / 00||27.68|
|All American, The (1953)||Lori Nelson||$21.90||138th of 1953||51.50%||00 / 00||27.59|
|Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came? (1970)||Ernest Borgnine||$10.40||108th of 1970||54.00%||00 / 00||26.99|
|Naked in New York (1994)||Eric Stoltz||$2.10||191st of 1994||52.00%||00 / 00||24.77|
|Lepke (1975)||Anjanette Comer||$10.30||135th of 1975||49.00%||00 / 00||24.63|
|Manitou, The (1978)||Susan Strasberg||$11.60||95th of 1978||48.50%||00 / 00||24.60|
|Bad News Bears Go to Japan, The (1978)||Jackie Earle Haley||$25.60||42nd of 1978||31.00%||00 / 00||18.54|
|Sextette (1978)||Mae West||$12.80||113th of 1978||28.00%||00 / 00||15.14|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Tony Curtis Table
- Sixteen Tony Curtis movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 26.23% of his movies listed. Spartacus (1960) was easily his biggest box office hit when looking at adjusted domestic box office gross.
- An average Tony Curtis movie grosses $85.80 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 31 of Tony Curtis movies are rated as good movies…or 50.81% of his movies. Some Like It Hot (1959) is his highest rated movie while Sextette (1978) was his lowest rated movie.
- Eight Tony Curtis movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 13.11% of his movies.
- Four Tony Curtis movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 6.55% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 25 Tony Curtis movies scored higher than that average….or 40.98% of his movies. Spartacus (1960) got the the highest UMR Score (just barely over Some Like It Hot) while Sextette (1978) got the lowest UMR Score.
Ten Possibly Interesting Facts About Tony Curtis
1. Bernard Schwartz was born in the Bronx, New York in 1925.
2. How Bernard Schwartz became Tony Curtis? The first name was from the novel Anthony Adverse and “Curtis” was from Kurtz. a surname in his mother’s family. In Curtis’ first film roles, he was credited as “Anthony Curtis”….which was quickly shortened to “Tony Curtis”.
3. Tony Curtis joined the United States Navy after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He joined the Pacific submarine force after he was inspired by Cary Grant in Destination Tokyo and Tyrone Power in Crash Dive. Curtis witnessed the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay from his ship’s (USS Proteus) signal bridge about a mile away.
4. After World War 2 ended, Tony Curtis attended City College of New York and studied acting at The New School. His contemporaries included Elaine Stritch, Harry Belafonte, Walter Matthau, Beatrice Arthur, and Rod Steiger.
5. Tony Curtis was quickly discovered by talent agent Joyce Selznick (niece of David O. Selznick). He arrived in Hollywood at the age of 23.
6. Tony Curtis was voted as a Top 25 Box Office star 5 times on Quigley Publications’ annual poll: 1954 (23rd), 1959 (18th), 1960 (6th), 1961 (9th) and 1962 (18th).
7. Tony Curtis broke a Hollywood taboo in the 1950s by insisting that an African-American actor, Sidney Poitier, have co-starring billing next to him in the movie 1958’s The Defiant Ones.
8. Tony Curtis was married six times…..he had six children. One of his children is Jamie Lee Curtis.
9. Tony Curtis’ favorite actor was Cary Grant. His favorite movie was Grant’s Gunga Din.
10. Tony Curtis was buried with some of his favorite possessions – a Stetson hat, an Armani scarf, driving gloves, an iPhone and a copy of his favorite novel, Anthony Adverse.
Check out Tony Curtis’ career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
Editor’s note: Calculating adjusted is not an exact science. Most of our calculations are based on solid sources that we have collected over the years. A few of his early 1950s low budget movies required us to use biographies, movie books, articles and other sources that do not provide the best statistics. So please keep that in mind when you are looking at the grosses of some of his low budget B movies.