Want to know the best Vivien Leigh (1913-1967) movies? How about the worst Vivien Leigh movies? Curious about Vivien Leigh box office grosses or which Vivien Leigh movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Vivien Leigh movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
One of our goals here at Ultimate Movie Rankings is to write a movie page on every member of the American Film Institute’sTop 50 Screen Legends list. So far we have written about 21 of the 25 actors on that list but only 13 of the 25 actresses on that list. Well it is time to add the 14th actress to the list of completed pages. Ranked as the 16th best Screen Legend actress ….Vivien Leigh.
Vivien Leigh was a 2 time Best Actress Oscar® winner. Her roles as Scarlett O’Hara in 1939’s Gone With The Wind and as Blanche DuBois in 1951’s A Streetcar Named Desire might be the greatest one two punch ever for an actress. Even more amazing in my mind is the fact that she did not appear in many movies during her 30 year career….and yet she still managed to appear in these two legendary roles.
Her IMDb page shows 20 acting credits from 1935-1965. This page will rank 15 Vivien Leigh movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Her television appearance, uncredited and 3 of her very early movies which were not released in North America were not included in the rankings.
Vivien Leigh Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Vivien Leigh movies by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Vivien Leigh movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Vivien Leigh movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Vivien Leigh movies by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations each Vivien Leigh movie received and by how many Oscar® wins each Vivien Leigh movie received.
- Sort Vivien Leigh movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the sort and search button to make this a very interactive page.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||Gone with the Wind (1939)
AA Best Picture Win
AA Best Actress Win
|Clark Gable &
Olivia de Havilland
|58.40||1,804.1||3,139.10||1||92||13 / 08||99.9|
|2||A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
AA Best Picture Nom
AA Best Actress Win
|Marlon Brando &
|13.70||237.3||237.30||4||85||12 / 04||99.3|
|4||Ship of Fools (1965)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Lee Marvin &
|9.50||80.2||80.20||29||76||08 / 02||90.5|
|3||That Hamilton Woman (1941)||Laurence Olivier &
|3.50||109.6||109.60||62||84||04 / 01||88.0|
|5||Waterloo Bridge (1940)||Robert Taylor &
|3.60||110.3||217.80||37||78||02 / 00||84.3|
|6||A Yank in Oxford (1938)||Robert Taylor &
|5.20||165.4||350.60||29||60||00 / 00||83.2|
|7||Caesar and Cleopatra (1945)||Claude Rains &
|6.20||159.0||159.00||51||60||01 / 00||82.6|
|8||The Deep Blue Sea (1955)||Kenneth More &
|2.90||47.5||47.50||93||81||00 / 00||72.2|
|9||Sidewalks of London (1938)||Charles Laughton &
|2.20||70.5||70.50||96||70||00 / 00||68.5|
|10||Anna Karenina (1948)||Ralph Richardson &
|2.60||56.9||56.90||107||63||00 / 00||54.5|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Vivien Leigh Table
- Six Vivien Leigh movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 40.00% of her movies listed. Gone With The Wind (1939) was her biggest box office hit.
- An average Vivien Leigh movie grosses $200.80 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 11 of Vivien Leigh’s movies are rated as good movies…or 73.33% of her movies. Gone With The Wind (1939) was her highest rated movie while 21 Days Together (1940) was her lowest rated movie.
- Seven Vivien Leigh movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 46.66% of her movies.
- Four Vivien Leigh movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 26.66% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Ranking Score (UMR) is 40.00. 9 Vivien Leigh movies scored higher than that average….or 60.00% of her movies. Gone With The Wind (1939) got the the highest UMR Score while Dark Journey (1937) got the lowest UMR Score.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.