Want to know the best Anthony Perkins movies? How about the worst Anthony Perkins movies? Curious about Anthony Perkins’s box office grosses or which Anthony Perkins movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Anthony Perkins movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
This Anthony Perkins movie page comes from a request from a huge Perkins fan, Gene S. from California. Anthony Perkins career was like a roller coaster. Lots of highs and lots of lows. The highs became legendary….while the lows are pretty much forgotten. Perkins was a very talented performer. Besides acting….he was an accomplished singer, a talented writer and even directed a couple of movies. Mainly known for his role as Norman Bates….I think you will see when looking at the following table that he gave many fine non Norman Bates performances.
His IMDb page shows 66 acting credits from 1953-1992. This page will rank 33 Anthony Perkins movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television appearances, some of his movies made outside of the Hollywood system and his straight to DVD movies were not included in the rankings.
Anthony Perkins Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Anthony Perkins movies by co-stars of his moviess
- Sort Anthony Perkins movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Anthony Perkins movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Anthony Perkins movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Anthony Perkins movie received.
- Sort Anthony Perkins movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Box Office Rank by Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Psycho (1960)||Janet Leigh & Directed by Alfred Hitchcock||$391.00||3rd of 1960||92.00%||04 / 00||75.84|
|Trial, The (1962)||Directed by Orson Welles||$32.10||65th of 1962||84.00%||00 / 00||44.46|
|Friendly Persuasion (1956)||Gary Cooper||$221.20||19th of 1950||83.00%||06 / 00||79.16|
|Last of Sheila, The (1973)||James Coburn & James Mason||$31.80||60th of 1973||82.00%||00 / 00||43.47|
|Pretty Poison (1968)||Tuesday Weld||$19.10||87th of 1968||79.50%||00 / 00||40.32|
|Catch-22 (1970)||Orson Welles & Martin Sheen||$206.00||8th of 1970||79.00%||00 / 00||68.13|
|Murder on the Orient Express (1974)||Ingrid Bergman & Sean Connery||$261.20||8th of 1974||78.00%||06 / 01||70.66|
|Fear Strikes Out (1957)||Karl Malden||$35.50||123rd of 1957||75.00%||00 / 00||40.75|
|Winter Kills (1979)||Jeff Bridges & John Huston||$3.60||103rd of 1979||75.00%||00 / 00||35.81|
|On the Beach (1959)||Gregory Peck & Ava Gardner||$191.70||8th of 1960||71.67%||02 / 00||64.19|
|Goodbye Again (1961)||Ingrid Bergman||$43.90||56th of 1961||71.50%||00 / 00||40.40|
|Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, The (1972)||Paul Newman||$121.70||12th of 1972||70.00%||01 / 00||52.16|
|Remember My Name (1978)||Geraldine Chaplin & Moses Gunn||$6.80||126th of 1978||70.00%||00 / 00||33.95|
|Tin Star, The (1957)||Henry Fonda||$40.90||103rd of 1957||68.50%||00 / 00||38.54|
|Play It As It Lays (1972)||Tuesday Weld & Tammy Grimes||$16.50||88th of 1972||67.00%||00 / 00||34.05|
|Tall Story (1960)||Jane Fonda||$55.90||50th of 1960||65.00%||00 / 00||39.21|
|Matchmaker, The (1958)||Shirley MacLaine & Shirley Booth||$40.10||74th of 1958||63.50%||00 / 00||36.06|
|Five Miles to Midnight (1962)||Sophia Loren & Gig Young||$20.90||133rd of 1962||63.50%||00 / 00||33.08|
|This Angry Age (1958)||Silvana Mangano & Jo Van Fleet||$18.10||140th of 1958||62.50%||00 / 00||32.19|
|Ffolkes (1979)||Roger Moore||$15.20||109th of 1980||62.50%||00 / 00||31.74|
|Psycho II (1983)||Vera Miles & Meg Tilly||$92.90||20th of 1983||61.50%||00 / 00||43.30|
|Desire Under The Elms (1958)||Sophia Loren||$40.10||71st in 1958||61.50%||00 / 00||35.12|
|Actress, The (1953)||Spencer Tracy||$25.30||137th of 1953||57.00%||01 / 00||31.11|
|Psycho III (1986)||Directed by Anthony Perkins||$32.90||59th of 1986||55.00%||00 / 00||30.95|
|Phaedra (1962)||Melina Mercouri||$20.90||127th of 1962||51.50%||01 / 00||27.84|
|Black Hole, The (1979)||Maximilian Schell & Ernest Borgnine||$226.70||12th of 1980||51.00%||02 / 00||55.77|
|Crimes of Passion (1984)||Kathleen Turner & Bruce Davison||$7.30||128th of 1986||48.00%||00 / 00||23.69|
|Lonely Man, The (1957)||Jack Palance||$34.40||134th of 1957||46.00%||00 / 00||26.95|
|Green Mansions (1959)||Audrey Hepburn||$47.20||67th of 1959||45.00%||00 / 00||28.47|
|WUSA (1970)||Paul Newman||$25.50||63rd of 1971||45.00%||00 / 00||25.10|
|Edge of Sanity (1989)||David Lodge||$0.20||314th of 1989||42.50%||00 / 00||20.00|
|Mahogany (1975)||Diana Ross & Billy Dee Williams||$86.20||28th of 1975||41.50%||01 / 00||33.26|
|Lovin' Molly (1974)||Beau Bridges & Blythe Danner||$13.70||104th of 1974||39.50%||00 / 00||20.68|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Anthony Perkins Table
- Seven Anthony Perkins movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 20.59% of his movies listed. Psycho (1960) was his biggest box office hit.
- An average Anthony Perkins movie grosses $71.40 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 22 Anthony Perkins movies are rated as good movies…or 66.66% of his movies. Psycho (1960) is his highest rated movie while Lovin’ Molly (1974) is his lowest rated movie.
- Ten Anthony Perkins movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 30.30% of his movies.
- One Anthony Perkins movie (Murder on the Orient Express) won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 3.03% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 13 Anthony Perkins movies scored higher that average….or 39.39% of his movies. Friendly Persuasion (1956) got the the highest UMR Score while Edge of Sanity (1989) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Anthony Perkins
1. Anthony Perkins was born in New York City, New York in 1932. His father, Osgood Perkins, was stage and film actor. His parents did not give him a middle name.
2. Anthony Perkins’ path to stardom…Cliff Notes style. Following in his father’s footsteps, Perkins decided to become an actor. Perkins first screen appearance was in one of Spencer Tracy’s weaker movies….The Actress (1953). Three years later his second screen appearance was much more successful. Perkins received a Best Supporting Actor Oscar® nomination for playing Gary Cooper’s son in Friendly Persuasion (1956). In 1960 he starred in Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho……his performance as Norman Bates secured his place in movie history forever.
3. Anthony Perkins won the Golden Globe® for Most Promising Newcomer in 1957.
4. Norman Bates a pop star? Yep! Anthony Perkins released 3 pop music albums in 1957 and 1958. His single “Moon-Light Swim” was a Top 40 Billboard hit….peaking at 24th.
5. Anthony Perkins played Norman Bates 4 times. Hitchcock’s Psycho in 1960, Psycho II in 1983, 1986’s Psycho III which was one of two films directed by Perkins and 1990’s Psycho IV which was a made for television movie. His performance as Norman Bates in 1960’s Psycho is ranked 4th on Premiere Magazine’s 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
6. Anthony Perkins was married one time. He married Berinthia Berenson in 1973. They were married until Perkins’ death in 1992. They had two sons. Oz Perkins is an actor. Oz has 24 IMDb credits…including a small part in 2009’s Star Trek. Elvis Perkins is a musician…named after Elvis Presley. Anthony Perkins was a huge fan of Elvis.
7. Anthony Perkins died September 12th 1992. The superscription on his urn reads “Don’t Fence Me In”. One day short of the 9th anniversary of Perkins death….his widow died September 11th 2001. Berinthia Berenson was aboard American Airlines Flight 11 during the attacks of 9/11.
8. Anthony Perkins only wrote one screenplay. Perkins and composer Stephen Sondheim wrote the screenplay for 1973’s The Last of Sheila. They won the “Edgar” award at the Edgar Allan Poe Awards in 1974 for best mystery. This is a movie that is worth tracking down if you have not seen it.
9. Roles Anthony Perkins turned down, auditioned for or was seriously considered for: West Side Story (Tony role), The Godfather (James Caan and Robert Duvall roles), The Graduate (Dustin Hoffman role), Some Like It Hot (Tony Curtis role) and East of Eden (James Dean role). Perkins did take over James Dean’s role in 1957’s This Angry Age.
10. Check out Anthony Perkins‘ career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.