Want to know the best Burt Lancaster movies? How about the worst Burt Lancaster movies? Curious about Burt Lancaster’s box office grosses or which Burt Lancaster movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Burt Lancaster movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place…. because we have all of that information.
Burt Lancaster (1913-1994) was an American film actor noted for his athletic physique, blue eyes, and distinctive smile. During his long career he was nominated for four Best Actor Oscars®. He won the Oscar® for his performance in 1960’s Elmer Gantry. He was also nominated for five Best Actor Golden Globes®. AFI (American Film Institute) listed Lancaster on their Top 50 Screen Legends list. He was ranked as the 19th greatest actor.
His IMDb page shows 66 acting credits from 1946-1991. This page will rank 67 Burt Lancaster movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television appearances, cameos and his straight to DVD movies were not included in the rankings.
Burt Lancaster Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Burt Lancaster movies by co-stars of his movies
- Sort Burt Lancaster movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Burt Lancaster movies by yearly box office rank
- Sort Burt Lancaster movies by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or highis should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Burt Lancaster movie received.
- Sort Burt Lancaster movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the sort and search buttons to make this a very interactive table…for example you want to just see the Kirk Douglas/Lancaster movies….just type in Kirk in the search box and the 5 movies will pop right up.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR CO-Star Links||Adjusted BO Domestic (mil)||Box Office Rank by Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|From Here to Eternity (1953)||Montgomery Clift & Frank Sinatra||$519.40||2nd of 1953||81.50%||13 / 08||84.55|
|Elmer Gantry (1960)||Shirley Jones & Jean Simmons||$161.40||13th of 1960||87.00%||05 / 03||82.59|
|The Rose Tattoo (1955)||Anna Magnani & Costumes by Edith Head||$194.50||16th of 1955||75.50%||08 / 03||72.88|
|Airport (1970)||Dean Martin & Helen Hayes||$571.20||1st of 1970||71.00%||10 / 01||71.85|
|Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)||Spencer Tracy & Marlene Dietrich||$128.60||11th of 1961||86.00%||11 / 02||68.43|
|Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957)||Kirk Douglas & Dennis Hooper||$202.10||12th of 1957||77.00%||02 / 00||67.99|
|The Killers (1946)||Ava Gardner||$162.70||51st of 1946||87.00%||04 / 00||67.71|
|The Professionals (1966)||Lee Marvin & Robert Ryan||$168.60||30th of 1966||83.00%||03 / 00||66.96|
|Vera Cruz (1954)||Gary Cooper & Charles Bronson||$239.10||15th of 1954||75.50%||00 / 00||66.48|
|Separate Tables (1958)||David Niven & Rita Hayworth||$124.40||25th of 1959||80.00%||07 / 02||63.76|
|Field of Dreams (1989)||Kevin Costner||$136.80||19th of 1989||82.00%||03 / 00||63.19|
|Desert Fury (1947)||Lizabeth Scott & Mary Astor||$184.70||37th of 1947||73.00%||00 / 00||62.94|
|Sorry Wrong Number (1948)||Barbara Stanwyck & Ed Begley||$158.10||25th of 1948||80.50%||01 / 00||62.75|
|Apache (1954)||Charles Bronson & Jean Peters||$183.30||23rd of 1954||69.50%||00 / 00||61.07|
|Trapeze (1956)||Gina Lollobrigida & Tony Curtis||$318.30||3rd of 1956||63.50%||00 / 00||60.84|
|Brute Force (1947)||Hume Cronyn & Charles Bickford||$135.50||63rd of 1947||84.00%||00 / 00||60.48|
|Come Back Little Sheba (1952)||Shirley Booth||$149.00||14th of 1953||72.50%||03 / 01||59.59|
|Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)||Thelma Ritter & Telly Savalas||$85.10||27th of 1962||80.00%||04 / 00||58.14|
|The Flame and the Arrow (1950)||Virginia Mayo & Robert Douglas||$137.30||12th of 1950||74.00%||02 / 00||56.86|
|Sweet Smell of Success (1957)||Tony Curtis & Susan Harrison||$96.80||39th of 1957||89.00%||00 / 00||56.83|
|Seven Days in May (1964)||Kirk Douglas & Fredric March||$91.60||19th of 1964||86.50%||02 / 00||55.66|
|The Crimson Pirate (1952)||Nick Cravat & Christopher Lee||$106.40||29th of 1952||81.00%||00 / 00||54.56|
|Atlantic City (1981)||Susan Sarandon||$38.60||55th of 1979||80.50%||05 / 00||53.82|
|The Train (1964)||Paul Scofield & Jeanne Moreau||$94.80||19th of 1965||81.00%||01 / 00||53.16|
|Run Silent Run Deep (1958)||Clark Gable & Jack Warden||$100.40||36th of 1958||79.00%||00 / 00||52.69|
|Criss Cross (1949)||Dan Duryea & Yvonne De Carlo||$79.00||101st of 1949||82.50%||00 / 00||51.02|
|Rope of Sand (1949)||Claude Rains & Paul Henreid||$122.50||33rd of 1949||64.50%||00 / 00||49.31|
|The Rainmaker (1956)||Katharine Hepburn & Lloyd Bridges||$92.00||46th of 1957||67.00%||02 / 00||48.42|
|His Majesty O'Keefe (1954)||Joan Rice & André Morell||$130.90||44th of 1954||59.50%||00 / 00||48.25|
|The Leopard (1963)||Alain Delon & Claudia Cardinale||$43.40||57th of 1963||87.00%||01 / 00||48.02|
|The Unforgiven (1960)||Audrey Hepburn & Directed by John Huston||$108.20||21st of 1960||63.00%||00 / 00||46.38|
|Kiss The Blood Off My Hands (1948)||Joan Fontaine & Robert Newton||$88.70||84th of 1948||69.00%||00 / 00||46.18|
|All My Sons (1948)||Edward G. Robinson & Mady Christians||$61.00||119th of 1948||78.00%||00 / 00||46.12|
|The Kentuckian (1955)||Walter Matthau & Directed by Burt Lancaster||$120.40||39th of 1955||54.50%||00 / 00||44.28|
|Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977)||Richard Widmark||$46.00||52nd of 1977||78.00%||00 / 00||43.79|
|I Walk Alone (1948)||Kirk Douglas & Lizabeth Scott||$116.50||60th of 1948||52.00%||00 / 00||42.50|
|Ten Tall Men (1951)||Gilbert Roland & Jody Lawrance||$86.70||56th of 1951||61.00%||00 / 00||42.11|
|A Child Is Waiting (1963)||Judy Garland & Gena Rowlands||$24.40||93rd of 1963||81.50%||00 / 00||42.08|
|Local Hero (1983)||Peter Riegert & Directed by Bill Forsyth||$15.80||92nd of 1983||84.00%||00 / 00||41.93|
|The Scalphunters (1968)||Telly Savalas & Shelley Winters||$51.50||43rd of 1968||71.50%||00 / 00||41.58|
|The Swimmer (1968)||Janice Rule & Kim Hunter||$11.90||139th of 1968||83.00%||00 / 00||40.85|
|Jim Thorpe--All American (1951)||Charles Bickford & Phyllis Thaxter||$74.70||76th of 1951||62.00%||00 / 00||40.72|
|Mister 880 (1950)||Dorothy McGuire & Edmund Gwenn||$85.30||56th of 1950||57.50%||01 / 00||40.64|
|Ultzan's Raid (1972)||Bruce Davison & Richard Jaeckel||$9.80||144th of 1972||78.50%||00 / 00||38.41|
|Devil's Disciple (1959)||Kirk Douglas & Laurence Olivier||$54.20||49th of 1959||60.50%||00 / 00||36.84|
|The Young Savages (1961)||Telly Savalas & Shelley Winters||$57.00||53rd of 1961||59.50%||00 / 00||36.79|
|Lawman (1971)||Robert Duvall & Robert Ryan||$41.80||45th of 1971||64.33%||00 / 00||36.72|
|Conversation Piece (1974)||Helmut Berger & Silvana Mangano||$7.00||163rd of 1974||75.00%||00 / 00||36.33|
|Tough Guys (1986)||Kirk Douglas & Eli Wallach||$48.80||43rd of 1986||60.50%||00 / 00||36.00|
|Valdez is Coming (1971)||Susan Clark & Hector Elizondo||$46.40||39th of 1971||60.00%||00 / 00||35.39|
|South Sea Woman (1953)||Virginia Mayo||$68.90||59th of 1953||50.50%||00 / 00||34.42|
|Hallelujah Trail (1965)||Lee Remick & Jim Hutton||$26.80||74th of 1965||63.50%||00 / 00||33.99|
|Buffalo Bill and The Indians (1976)||Paul Newman||$15.40||94th of 1976||67.00%||00 / 00||33.88|
|Vengenance Valley (1951)||Robert Walker & John Ireland||$86.70||57th of 1951||37.50%||00 / 00||31.06|
|The Midnight Man (1974)||Susan Clark & Directed by Burt Lancaster||$8.30||151st of 1974||63.00%||00 / 00||30.90|
|The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)||Michael York & Nigel Davenport||$40.90||38th of 1977||52.00%||00 / 00||30.78|
|1900 (1976)||Robert DeNiro & Donald Sutherland||$13.20||117th of 1977||60.00%||00 / 00||30.25|
|Scorpio (1973)||Alain Delone & Paul Scofield||$20.20||84th of 1973||57.00%||00 / 00||29.92|
|Zulu Dawn (1979)||Peter O''''Toole||$7.90||98th of 1979||60.50%||00 / 00||29.66|
|Rocket Gibraltar (1988)||Suzy Amis & Patricia Clarkson||$0.40||225th of 1988||62.00%||00 / 00||29.20|
|Castle Keep (1969)||Peter Falk & Scott Wilson||$30.50||59th of 1969||52.00%||00 / 00||29.17|
|The Cassandra Crossing (1976)||Sophia Loren & Martin Sheen||$50.20||65th of 1977||45.50%||00 / 00||29.16|
|Cattle Annie and Little Britches (1981)||Scott Glenn & Diane Lane||$1.60||106th of 1981||61.50%||00 / 00||29.15|
|Go Tell The Spartans (1978)||Craig Wasson & Marc Singer||$4.40||143rd of 1978||60.00%||00 / 00||28.88|
|The Gypsy Moths (1969)||Deborah Kerr & Gene Hackman||$9.30||160th of 1969||55.00%||00 / 00||27.29|
|The Osterman Weekend (1983)||Rutger Hauer & Directed by Sam Peckinpah||$17.40||85th of 1983||50.50%||00 / 00||26.44|
|Executive Action (1973)||Robert Ryan & Will Geer||$10.30||131st of 1974||52.50%||00 / 00||26.27|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Burt Lancaster Table
- Twenty-five Burt Lancaster movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 37.31% of his movies listed. Airport (1970) was his biggest box office hit.
- An average Burt Lancaster movie grossed $100.00 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 53 Burt Lancaster movies are rated as good movies…or 79.10% of his movies. Sweet Smell of Success (1957) is his highest rated movie while Vengenance Valley (1951) is his lowest rated movie.
- Twenty Burt Lancaster movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 29.85% of his movies.
- Seven Burt Lancaster movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 10.44% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 39.86. 43 Burt Lancaster movies scored higher that average….or 64.17% of his movies. From Here to Eternity (1953) got the the highest UMR Score while Executive Action (1973) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Burt Lancaster
1. Burt Lancaster was born Burton Stephen Lancaster in Manhatten, New York City.
2. Burt Lancaster starred with Kirk Douglas seven movies…. Victory at Entebbe (1976), Tough Guys (1986), Seven Days in May (1964), The List of Adrian Messenger (1963), I Walk Alone (1948), Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) and The Devil’s Disciple (1959). Victory at Entebbe (tv movie) and The List of Adrian Messenger (cameo role) did not make our rankings.
3. Burt Lancaster was married three times. He had 5 children (3 daughters and two sons). One of his sons, Bill Lancaster, wrote the screenplay for 1976’s The Bad News Bears. It was based on his experience of being coached by his father. The coach played by Walter Matthau was based on Burt, who was known for his grumpiness.
4. Burt Lancaster’s production company, Hecht Hill Lancaster, produced 1955’s Marty…..which won the Oscar® for Best Picture.
5. Burt Lancaster directed two movies in his career….The Kentuckian and The Midnight Man.
6. The first film Burt Lancaster directed is also the first film Walter Matthau ever appeared in….1955’s The Kentuckian
7. Burt Lancaster appeared nude in 1968’s The Swimmer.
8. For another very interesting tribute to Burt Lancaster check out this page by Lary Wallace….. Burt Lancaster.
9. Roles Burt Lancaster turned down, auditioned for or was seriously considered for: Ben-Hur (Charlton Heston role), Old Gringo (Gregory Peck role), Patton (George C. Scott role), The Poseidon Adventure (Gene Hackman role) and Under Capricorn (Joseph Cotten role) and The Wild Bunch (William Holden role).
10. Check out Burt Lancaster‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
[hits] Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.