Want to know the best Jean Simmons movies? How about the worst Jean Simmons movies? Curious about Jean Simmons box office grosses or which Jean Simmons movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Jean Simmons movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Jean Simmons (1929-2010) was a two-time Oscar® nominated British actress. Her IMDb page shows 95 acting credits from 1944-2009. This page will rank 37 Jean Simmons movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Her television appearances, and some movies made between 1944 and 1954, and movies not released in North American theaters were not included in the rankings. This page comes from a request by Syndi.
Jean Simmons Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Jean Simmons films by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Jean Simmons films by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Jean Simmons films by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Jean Simmons films by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Jean Simmons film received.
- Sort Jean Simmons films by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
AA Best Picture Win
AA Best Supp Actress Nom
|Laurence Olivier||8.90||193.5||193.50||15||81||07 / 04||99.1|
|2||Spartacus (1960)||Kirk Douglas &
|31.70||397.6||397.60||3||92||06 / 04||98.9|
|3||Elmer Gantry (1960)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Burt Lancaster||13.20||165.6||165.60||14||87||05 / 03||98.5|
|5||The Robe (1953)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Richard Burton &
|40.60||585.4||585.40||1||62||05 / 02||97.7|
|4||Guys and Dolls (1956)||Marlon Brando &
|19.60||308.9||308.90||7||77||04 / 00||96.5|
|7||Great Expectations (1946)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Alec Guinness &
Directed by David Lean
|5.40||133.6||133.60||66||84||05 / 02||96.4|
|6||The Big Country (1958)||Gregory Peck &
|10.60||153.4||153.40||11||89||02 / 01||94.5|
|8||Desiree (1954)||Marlon Brando &
|12.90||241.8||241.80||16||67||02 / 00||92.1|
|9||The Egyptian (1954)||Gene Tierney &
|12.90||241.8||241.80||15||65||01 / 00||91.1|
|10||The Grass is Greener (1960)||Cary Grant &
|8.60||107.5||107.50||29||77||00 / 00||84.6|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Jean Simmons Table
- Eleven Jean Simmons movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 29.37% of her movies listed. Her biggest hit was The Robe (1953)
- An average Jean Simmons movie grosses an average of $97.30 million in adjusted domestic gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 30 Jean Simmons movies are rated as good movies…or 81.08% of her movies. The Big Country (1958) was her highest rated movie while She Couldn’t Say No (1954) was her lowest rated movie.
- Sixteen Jean Simmons movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 45.94% of her movies.
- Seven Jean Simmons movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 18.91% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 17 Jean Simmons movies scored higher than that average….or 35.71% of her movies. Hamlet (1948) got the the highest UMR Score while She Couldn’t Say No (1954) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Jean Simmons
- Jean Merilyn Simmons was born in Lower Holloway, London in 1929.
2. Jean Simmons trained to be an actress from early childhood. She began showing up in movies at the age of 15 in 1944.
3. Jean Simmons was nominated for two Oscars®: She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in 1948’s Hamlet and was nominated for Best Actress in 1969’s The Happy Ending.
4. Jean Simmons was nominated for five Golden Globes®: She won the Golden Globe® for Best Actress in 1956’s Guys & Dolls.
5. Jean Simmons was married two times and had two children.
6. Jean Simmons’ first husband was actor, Stewart Granger. Her second husband was director and writer Richard Brooks.
7. Jean Simmons was the only guest star on the television series Murder, She Wrote to receive an Emmy Award® nomination.
8. Director Richard Brooks claimed that he wrote 1969’s The Happy Ending, the filmed story of an alcoholic wife (played by Jean Simmons) as a way to tell his wife that she herself had a problem. The marriage eventually broke up due to Simmons’ drinking and Brooks’ workaholic tendencies.
9. Jean Simmons was William Wyler’s first choice for the role of Princess Ann in 1953’s Roman Holiday (1953), but Howard Hughes, who owned her contract, would not loan her out to Paramount to do the film.
10. Check out Jean Simmons’ movie career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Friend of website….Steve Lensman’s Jean Simmons You Tube Video is worth checking out.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.