Want to know the best Robert Mitchum movies? How about the worst Robert Mitchum movies? Curious about Robert Mitchum’s box office grosses or which Robert Mitchum movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Robert Mitchum movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
The American Film Institute published their 50 Greatest Screen Legends in 1999. To qualify the performer had to have made their screen debut before 1950. The list presented the Top 25 actors and the Top 25 actresses of all time. One of my goals here on this website is to write a page on the 50 Greatest Screen Legends. With the publication of this page I am now exactly half way to my goal…..as I have done a page on 17 of the Greatest Actors and 8 of the Greatest Actresses. Which gets us to the subject of this page …..coming in at #23 on the Greatest Screen Legend Actors poll is Robert Mitchum.
Robert Mitchum (1917-1997) was an Oscar® nominated actor who appeared in 135 acting roles in movies and television between 1942 and 1997. He first gained fame appearing in the World War II movies, 1944’s Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo and 1945’s The Story of G.I. Joe. In the late 1940s, early 1950s he appeared in some of the greatest film noir movies ever produced….1947’s Out of the Past, 1950’s Undercurrent and 1952’s Angel Face. Other high watermarks in his career included…1954’s River of No Return(Marilyn Monroe), 1955’s The Night of the Hunter, 1962’s Cape Fear, 1967’s El Dorado and 1973’s The Friends of Eddie Coyle.
His IMDb page shows 135 acting credits from 1942-1997. This page will rank 82 Robert Mitchum movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in theaters were not included in the rankings.
Robert Mitchum Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Robert Mitchum movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Robert Mitchum movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost (in millions)
- Sort Robert Mitchum movies by yearly box office rank or trivia
- Sort Robert Mitchum movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Robert Mitchum movie received.
- Sort Robert Mitchum movies by Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the search and sort buttons to make this a very interactive page.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||The Longest Day (1962)
AA Best Picture Nom
|John Wayne &
|37.30||430.0||430.00||3||80||05 / 02||98.9|
|2||Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)||Spencer Tracy||13.90||374.7||544.70||4||78||02 / 01||96.7|
AA Best Picture Nom
|Robert Ryan||6.80||158.0||203.80||40||76||05 / 00||96.6|
|4||The Story of G.I. Joe (1945)
AA Best Supp Actor Nom
|Burgess Meredith||8.30||212.0||212.00||32||74||04 / 00||95.7|
|5||Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (1957)||Deborah Kerr &
Directed by John Huston
|12.00||185.4||185.40||11||80||02 / 00||95.6|
|6||Pursued (1947)||Teresa Wright||7.80||183.2||183.20||29||80||00 / 00||95.1|
|7||The Sundowners (1960)
AA Best Picture Nom
|Deborah Kerr &
Directed by Fred Zinnemann
|10.90||136.1||136.10||18||75||05 / 00||94.7|
|8||Ryan's Daughter (1970)||John Mills &
Directed by David Lean
|44.40||247.6||247.60||8||62||04 / 02||93.3|
|9||Cape Fear (1991)||Robert DeNiro &
Directed by Martin Scorsese
|79.10||162.5||374.50||12||77||02 / 00||93.0|
|10||River of No Return (1954)||Marilyn Monroe||10.90||204.2||204.20||24||62||00 / 00||91.3|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Robert Mitchum Table
- Twenty-five Robert Mitchum movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 30.49% of his movies listed. The Longest Day (1962) is his biggest box office ht when looking at adjusted domestic box office gross.
- An average Robert Mitchum movie grosses $83.90 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 43 of Robert Mitchum’s movies are rated as good movies…or 52.43% of his movies. The Night of the Hunter (1955) is his highest rated movie while Fire Down Below (1957) was his lowest rated movie.
- Fourteen Robert Mitchum movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 17.07% of his movies.
- Four Robert Mitchum movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 4.87% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score is 39.86. 38 Robert Mitchum movies scored higher than that average….or 46.34% of his movies. The Longest Day (1962) got the the highest UMR Score while Matilda (1978) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Robert Mitchum
1. How he got to Hollywood. Robert Mitchum was born in Connecticut in 1917, moved to California in 1936, got a job working as a machine operator and was pushed by his sister to join the local theater guild.
2. As a machine operator he suffered a nervous breakdown that resulted in temporary blindness. To avoid stress he decided to try and become an extra in the movies. It was a decision that worked out very well indeed.
3. One producer did numerous screen tests on Robert Mitchum….and even after numerous tests the producer could not decide if Mitchum was the worst actor ever or one of the most natural actors ever. The screen tests and the extra work eventually led him to the low budget Hopalong Cassidy movie serials.
4. His first real break was getting a supporting part in a big budget high profile movie….. 1944’s Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. The next year he got an Oscar® nomination for The Story Of G.I. Joe as Best Supporting Actor. This would turn out to be his only role that got him a nomination for acting (that includes Emmy®, Tony® and Golden Globes®)….135 roles and 1 nomination.
5. Robert Mitchum was married one time in his life and that was to Dorothy Mitchum for 57 years. They had two sons….Christopher and James and one daughter Petrina.
6. In 1948 Robert Mitchum was arrested, convicted and served jail time on charges for possession of marijuana. At the time of his arrest it was assumed this would destroy his promising career…instead it seemed to back up his tough guy anti-hero persona…. his career only lasted another 49 years.
7. Roles Robert Mitchum turned down over his career…..George C. Scott’s role in Patton, Gene Hackman’s role in The French Connection, a role in The Wild Bunch, and the Tony Curtis part in The Defiant Ones.
8. Later in his career, he became the King of the mini-series as he starred in not one not two but three of the most popular mini-series ever….1983’s The Winds of War, 1985’s North and South and 1988’s War and Remembrance.
9. Robert Mitchum’s voice is considered to one of the most distinctive voices to ever be heard on movie screens. This very deep singing voice was recorded on numerous records over the years and has been heard in many of his movies.
10. Probably the best Robert Mitchum tribute site is The Ultimate Robert Mitchum Headquarters. Every Mitchum fan should be checking out this website….as it is filled with many many awesome Mitchum links.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
Check out Robert Mitchum’s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
[hits] Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.
42 total views, 17 views today