Want to know the best Jerry Lewis movies? How about the worst Jerry Lewis movies? Curious about Jerry Lewis box office grosses or which Jerry Lewis movie picked up the most Oscar nominations? Need to know which Jerry Lewis movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
“I get paid for what most kids get punished for.” – Jerry Lewis
My wife strongly dislikes Adam Sandler‘s “man-child” movies….our boys, however loved those Sandler movies. As I was researching this page, I started to think that years ago the exact same thing must have been happening when the newest Jerry Lewis (1926-2017) movie came out. The moms of the world were probably rolling their eyes in disgust as they purchased their children movie tickets to see Lewis in action. The desire of kids to see Jerry’s latest movie was stronger than the moms’ reluctance as his movies have grossed over $3.4 billion dollars when looking at adjusted domestic box office grosses and made him one of the biggest stars making movies from 1949 to 1965. So when I was looking at my Request Hotline page…I figured it was time to do Søren‘s request and write an Ultimate Movie Ranking page on Jerry Lewis.
His IMDb page shows 74 acting credits, 22 directing credits, 19 producing credits and 17 writing credits from 1949-2016. This page will rank 47 Jerry Lewis movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television appearances, cameos and movies not released in North America were not included in the rankings.
Jerry Lewis Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Jerry Lewis movies by co-stars of his movies.
- Sort Jerry Lewis movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost
- Sort Jerry Lewis movies by yearly domestic box office rank
- Sort Jerry Lewis movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and many Oscar® wins each Jerry Lewis movie received and
- Sort Jerry Lewis movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- Use the search and sort button to make this page very interactive. For example type “Martin” in the search box and up pop the 16 movies that Dean Martin and Lewis made together.
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|R||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Domestic (mil)||Adj. B.O. Worldwide (mil)||B.O. Rank by Year||Review||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score||S|
|1||Sailor Beware (1952)||Dean Martin||11.90||187.9||187.90||7||68||00 / 00||92.0|
|2||Artists and Models (1955)||Dean Martin &
|10.90||180.6||180.60||27||69||00 / 00||91.5|
|3||Living It Up (1954)||Dean Martin||12.10||228.3||228.30||18||61||00 / 00||91.1|
|4||The Stooge (1952)||Dean Martin||9.70||152.9||152.90||12||74||00 / 00||90.3|
|5||Scared Stiff (1953)||Dean Martin||10.60||152.9||152.90||16||72||00 / 00||89.8|
|6||The Caddy (1953)||Dean Martin||10.60||152.9||152.90||14||70||00 / 00||89.1|
|7||Jumping Jacks (1952)||Dean Martin||11.10||174.7||174.70||9||62||00 / 00||88.8|
|8||My Friend Irma (1949)||Dean Martin||7.80||156.5||156.50||21||68||00 / 00||88.6|
|9||You're Never Too Young (1955)||Dean Martin||9.70||161.6||161.60||29||64||00 / 00||87.7|
|10||At War with the Army (1950)||Dean Martin||9.40||169.9||169.90||8||59||00 / 00||87.0|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Jerry Lewis Table
- Twenty-five Jerry Lewis movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 53.19% of his movies listed. Living It Up (1954) was his biggest box office ht when looking at adjusted domestic box office gross.
- An average Jerry Lewis movie grosses $101.00 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 28 of Jerry Lewis’ movies are rated as good movies…or 59.57% of their movies. The King of Comedy (1983) is his highest rated movie while Hardly Working (1980) was his lowest rated movie.
- Two Jerry Lewis movie received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 4.25% of his movies.
- Zero Jerry Lewis movie won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 0.00% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Ranking (UMR) Score is 40.00. 31 Jerry Lewis movies scored higher than that average….or 65.95% of his movies. Living It Up (1954) got the the highest UMR Score while Which Way to the Front? (1970) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Jerry Lewis
1. Joseph Levitch was born in Newark, New Jersey in 1928. He started using the name Joey Lewis when he started performing. Dropped “Joey” and picked “Jerry” to avoid confusion with comedy Joe E. Brown and boxer Joe Lewis.
2. The big break of Jerry Lewis’ career was when he met singer, Dean Martin, in 1946. Their partnership went from night clubs to radio appearances to an Ed Sullivan television appearance to movies in about 2 and half years. They would make a total of 17 movies (that includes one cameo) together from 1949 to 1956. Everyone of their movies was a box office hit….16 for 16 …you can not get better than that.
3. Jerry Lewis was a Top Ten Box Office Star 12 years. With Dean Martin…they were ranked 2nd in 1951, 1st in 1952, 2nd in 1953, 2nd in 1954, 7th in 1955 and 6th in 1956. Without Martin he was ranked 9th in 1957, 3rd in 1958, 9th in 1959, 7th in 1961, 7th in 1962 and 10th in 1963.
4. Jerry Lewis was honored for his contribution and development of the first “Video Assist” for the motion picture camera in 1966. This allowed him to view his performance while directing himself in his films. This is used extensively today in filmmaking, known as “Video Village.”
5. Jerry Lewis is beloved in France. He was presented the French Legion of Honor in 1984. Twice voted Best Foreign Director by the French film critics. In 2009, Jerry Lewis received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. His honorary Oscar® speech is in a You Tube video at the bottom of the page.
6. Jerry Lewis taught a film directing class at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles for a number of years; his students included Steven Spielberg and George Lucas.
7. Jerry Lewis hosted the annual Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon, from 1966 to 2010. The telethon has raised over 2.6 billion dollars. Lewis was nominated for a Nobel Prize for his work with the telethon. When I was younger, you could not think about Labor Day without thinking about the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon.
8. Jerry Lewis has been married twice; first to Patti Lewis from 1944 to 1983..they had six children. Lewis’ oldest son, Gary, is the lead singer for Gary Lewis & The Playboys. They had several pop hits in the 1960s. His second marriage is to SanDee Pitnick. They have been married since 1983 and they have one child.
9. Some Adam Sandler/Jerry Lewis stuff I found interesting. (1) They both have specialized in “man-child” movies. (2) Those “man-child” movies have been very successful at the box office. (3) They both starred in a movie called That’s My Boy. The Lewis movie was in 1951 while Sandler’s movie was made in 2012. (4) Darren McGavin and Johnny Depp are two actors that appeared in movies with both actors.
10. Jerry Lewis starred and directed probably the most famous movie never to be released. 1972’s The Day The Clown Cried has been locked in a Lewis vault for over 40 years now and has been seen by very few people. That might be changing in the near future (2025?). Check out this link for further information.
Check out Jerry Lewis’s movie career compared to current and classic stars on our Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time page.
Taking A Deeper Look At Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin’s Movie Careers
- Column 1 is name of category
- Column 2 is how many movies they made
- Column 3 is average adjusted domestic box office
- Column 4 is average of critic/audience rating per movie
- Column 5 is the total Oscar® nominations (all categories) for each movie
- Column 6 is the total Oscar® wins (all categories) per movie
- Column 7 is the average Ultimate Movie Ranking score per movie
|Rank||Category||Movies||Adjusted Box Office||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Noms||Oscar Wins||UMR Score|
|Lewis and Martin||16||$121.68 million||61.81%||0||0||45.97|
|Lewis Only||30||$50.56 million||60.10%||2||0||31.21|
|Martin Only||35||$83.96 million||59.61%||27||1||36.06|
Conclusion? Both have fine solo careers but they were at their best when they were together.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences. Golden Globe® is a registered trademarks.
1,238 total views, 0 views today