Want to know the best Katharine Hepburn (1907-2003) movies? How about the worst Katharine Hepburn movies? Curious about Ingrid Bergman’s box office grosses or which Katharine Hepburn movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Katharine Hepburn movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences and which got the worst reviews? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Katharine Hepburn’s movie career was one heck of a roller coaster ride. The ride started on a high note with an Oscar® win for 1933’s Morning Glory and a blockbuster hit in 1934’s Little Women. She was unable to maintain her early success. The rest of the 1930s did not go very well for her. Hepburn made eleven more movies in the 1930s, and with a couple of exceptions(Alice Adams & Stage Door), they were all box office bombs. After being labeled “box office poison” at the end of the 1930s, she returned to the stage.
The return to the stage was in a play called The Philadelphia Story. Her portrayal of spoiled socialite Tracy Lord received rave reviews. In 1940 Hepburn returned to Hollywood to make the film version of The Philadelphia Story. The film was one of the biggest hits of the year and earned Hepburn her third Oscar® nomination. After that success she appeared for the first time with Spencer Tracy in 1942’s Woman of the Year. Tracy and Hepburn would make nine films together over the next twenty-five years and become one the greatest screen couples ever. Their final appearance together would be 1967’s Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner, which was a blockbuster hit and earned Hepburn her 2nd Oscar® win. The following year she appeared in The Lion in Winter. She amazingly won her 3rd Oscar® win for Best Actress. Following her back to back Oscar® wins, Hepburn’s movie career took another downward spiral.
For the next twenty-five years, she would appear in only eight more movies. Most of those movies died at the box office, but she had one more major role left in her. In 1981 she appeared in On Golden Pond opposite Henry Fonda. On Golden Pond was her second biggest box office hit and earned her a record fourth Academy Award® for Best Actress. Her last role was in 1994’s Love Affair. Katharine Hepburn passed away June 29th 2003 at the age of 96.
Her IMDb page shows 52 acting credits from 1932-1994. This page will rank 43 Katharine Hepburn movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies not released in North American theaters were not included in the rankings.
Katharine Hepburn Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Katharine Hepburn movies by co-stars of her movies
- Sort Katharine Hepburn movies by actual domestic box office grosses
- Sort Katharine Hepburn movies by adjusted domestic box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Katharine Hepburn movies by how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Katharine Hepburn movie received.
- Sort Katharine Hepburn movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
- *** = Katharine Hepburn Oscar® nominated performance
- Use the sort and search button to make this a very interactive page. For example type in Spencer Tracy in the search box to see all of Tracy/Hepburn performances….or type Cary Grant in the search box to bring up all of the Grant/Hepburn movies….or type in….I think you get the idea.
|Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Actual Box Office (Millions)||Adjusted Domestic Box Office (Millions)||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|The Lion in Winter (1968)||Peter O'Toole & Anthony Hopkins||$28.59||$184.00||88.0%||07 / 03||86.73|
|On Golden Pond (1981)||Henry Fonda & Jane Fonda||$119.29||$361.70||79.5%||10 / 03||86.41|
|The Philadelphia Story (1940)||James Stewart & Cary Grant||$7.14||$215.10||91.0%||06 / 02||86.37|
|Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)||Spencer Tracy & Sidney Poitier||$56.75||$395.40||71.0%||10 / 02||81.20|
|The African Queen (1951)||Humphrey Bogart||$11.80||$198.90||87.0%||04 / 01||78.42|
|Little Women (1933)||Directed by George Cukor||$6.57||$240.90||82.5%||03 / 01||74.58|
|Suddenly Last Summer (1959)||Elizabeth Taylor & Montgomery Clift||$18.21||$255.90||72.5%||03 / 00||72.02|
|Stage Door (1937)||Ginger Rogers||$5.00||$162.10||87.7%||04 / 00||70.93|
|Woman of the Year (1942)||Spencer Tracy||$5.53||$160.70||81.5%||02 / 01||70.61|
|Adam's Rib (1949)||Spencer Tracy||$8.25||$161.80||87.0%||01 / 00||66.37|
|State of the Union (1948)||Spencer Tracy||$9.21||$194.10||75.5%||00 / 00||65.57|
|Without Love (1945)||Spencer Tracy||$7.51||$186.10||69.5%||00 / 00||61.51|
|Keeper of the Flame (1942)||Spencer Tracy||$6.26||$181.90||68.5%||00 / 00||60.39|
|The Sea of Grass (1947)||Spencer Tracy||$8.51||$194.00||64.5%||00 / 00||60.39|
|Song of Love (1947)||Paul Henreid||$8.38||$190.90||62.5%||00 / 00||58.97|
|Undercurrent (1946)||Robert Mitchum||$7.64||$184.10||63.5%||00 / 00||58.38|
|Summertime (1955)||Directed by David Lean||$5.71||$92.60||82.3%||02 / 00||58.35|
|Bringing Up Baby (1938)||Cary Grant||$3.24||$101.30||88.7%||00 / 00||57.37|
|Holiday (1938)||Cary Grant||$3.10||$96.70||89.0%||01 / 00||57.22|
|Alice Adams (1935)||Fred MacMurray||$1.64||$57.60||81.5%||02 / 00||57.03|
|Morning Glory (1933)||Douglas Fairbanks Jr.||$2.19||$80.20||70.5%||01 / 01||56.57|
|Pat and Mike (1952)||Spencer Tracy||$5.83||$89.40||80.0%||01 / 00||53.11|
|The Rainmaker (1956)||Burt Lancaster||$6.00||$92.00||67.0%||02 / 00||52.92|
|Desk Set (1957)||Spencer Tracy||$4.86||$73.10||84.3%||00 / 00||50.97|
|Long Day's Journey into Night (1962)||Jason Robards||$2.17||$24.40||85.0%||01 / 00||49.88|
|Mary of Scotland (1936)||Fredric March & Directed by John Ford||$2.64||$88.90||59.5%||00 / 00||41.74|
|Sylvia Scarlett (1935)||Cary Grant||$0.92||$32.20||68.3%||00 / 00||37.11|
|Rooster Cogburn (1975)||John Wayne||$24.31||$100.00||45.3%||00 / 00||36.81|
|Quality Street (1937)||Franchot Tone||$0.91||$29.60||64.5%||01 / 00||35.31|
|A Delicate Balance (1973)||Paul Scofield||$1.76||$8.40||71.0%||00 / 00||34.67|
|The Iron Petticoat (1957)||Bob Hope||$3.71||$55.90||53.5%||00 / 00||33.80|
|Dragon Seed (1944)||Aline MacHahon & Lionel Barrymore||$1.87||$49.30||52.5%||02 / 00||33.11|
|Christopher Strong (1933)||Colin Clive||$0.77||$28.20||58.0%||00 / 00||31.63|
|A Woman Rebels (1936)||Herbert Marshall||$0.77||$26.00||58.5%||00 / 00||31.52|
|A Bill of Divorcement (1932)||John Barrymore||$1.09||$41.90||52.0%||00 / 00||30.93|
|The Trojan Women (1971)||Vanessa Redgrave||$2.88||$14.70||59.5%||00 / 00||30.24|
|Break of Hearts (1935)||Charles Boyer||$0.65||$22.80||54.5%||00 / 00||29.15|
|The Little Minister (1934)||Alan Hale||$1.83||$67.10||38.5%||00 / 00||28.50|
|Love Affair (1994)||Warren Beatty||$18.27||$37.80||43.0%||00 / 00||26.07|
|Spitfire (1934)||Robert Young||$0.47||$17.30||47.5%||00 / 00||25.00|
|Olly Olly Oxen Free (1978)||Kevin McKenzie||$1.10||$4.00||50.0%||00 / 00||24.12|
|Grace Quigley (1985)||Nick Nolte||$2.42||$5.70||41.5%||00 / 00||20.38|
|The Madwoman of Chaillot (1969)||Danny Kaye||$1.87||$11.10||39.5%||00 / 00||20.28|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Katharine HepburnTable
- Eighteen Katharine Hepburn movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 41.86% of her movies listed. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967) was her biggest box office hit…. holding off On Golden Pond (1981)
- An average Katharine Hepburn movie grosses $113.90 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 28 of Katharine Hepburn’s movies are rated as good movies…or 65.11% of her movies. The Philadelphia Story (1940) was her highest rated movie while The Little Minister (1934) was her lowest rated movie.
- Nineteen Katharine Hepburn movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 44.18% of her movies.
- Eight Katharine Hepburn movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 18.60% of her movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 39.86. 26 Katharine Hepburn movies scored higher than that average….or 60.46% of her movies. The Lion in Winter (1968) got the the highest UMR Score while The Madwoman of Chaillot (1969) got the lowest UMR Score.
Check out Katharine Hepburn‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks of the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences.
[hits] Page Views
For comments….all you need is a name and a comment….please ignore the rest.