Want to know the best Johnny Depp movies? How about the worst Johnny Depp movies? Curious about Johnny Depp’s box office grosses or which Johnny Depp movie picked up the most Oscar® nominations? Need to know which Johnny Depp movie got the best reviews from critics and audiences? Well you have come to the right place….because we have all of that information.
Johnny Depp started out his movie career playing secondary parts in movies like and Nightmare on Elm Street and Platoon. He then turned to television where he gained notoriety when he played Officer Tom Hanson on the television series 21 Jump Street from 1987 to 1990. He left the series for a return to the big screen. In 1990 he had two movies released….John Water’s Cry Baby and Tim Burton’s Edward Scissorhands. Scissorhands was the first of many collaborations between Tim Burton and Depp. For the next 15 years Depp, built a solid reputation for making quality movies with limited box office. That all changed when Depp took on the part of Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Pirates was a monster hit and turned Depp into one of the biggest movie stars making movies today.
His IMDb page shows 79 acting credits from 1984-2017. This page will rank 49 Johnny Depp movies from Best to Worst in six different sortable columns of information. Television shows, shorts, cameos and movies that were not released in theaters were not included in the rankings.
Johnny Depp Movies Can Be Ranked 6 Ways In This Table
The really cool thing about this table is that it is “user-sortable”. Rank the movies anyway you want.
- Sort Johnny Depp movies by his co-stars
- Sort Johnny Depp movies by adjusted worldwide box office grosses using current movie ticket cost.
- Sort Johnny Depp movies by their worldwide yearly box office rank
- Sort Johnny Depp movies how they were received by critics and audiences. 60% rating or higher should indicate a good movie.
- Sort by how many Oscar® nominations and how many Oscar® wins each Johnny Depp movie received.
- Sort Johnny Depp movies by Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score. UMR Score puts box office, reviews and awards into a mathematical equation and gives each movie a score.
|Rank||Movie (Year)||UMR Co-Star Links||Adjusted B.O. WorldWide (mils)||Worldwide Box Office Rank By Year||Critic Audience Rating||Oscar Nom / Win||UMR Score|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)||Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightley||$914.70||3rd of 2003||79.0%||05 / 00||75.88|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)||Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightley||$1365.60||1st of 2006||63.5%||04 / 01||64.29|
|Alice in Wonderland (2010)||Anne Hathaway||$1095.90||2nd of 2010||59.0%||03 / 02||63.00|
|Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)||Directed by Tim Burton||$626.40||7th of 2005||64.0%||01 / 00||62.73|
|Sleepy Hollow (1999)||Christopher Walken & Directed by Tim Burton||$343.90||20th of 1999||71.0%||03 / 01||60.93|
|Finding Neverland (2004)||Kate Winslet||$158.50||61st of 2004||81.0%||07 / 01||60.71|
|Rango (2011)||Halle Berry||$261.30||24th of 2011||83.0%||01 / 01||60.71|
|Edward Scissorhands (1990)||Vincent Price & Winona Ryder||$171.10||18th of 1990||85.5%||01 / 00||59.00|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)||Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightley||$1181.00||4th of 2007||57.5%||02 / 00||58.82|
|Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)||Helena Bonham Carter & Alan Rickman||$187.10||34th of 2007||81.5%||03 / 01||58.27|
|Chocolat (2000)||Juliette Binoche & Judi Dench||$239.40||28th of 2000||73.0%||05 / 00||56.03|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (3D) (2011)||Penélope Cruz||$1111.90||3rd of 20111||51.5%||00 / 00||55.20|
|Into the Woods (2014)||Meryl Streep & Emily Blunt||$210.80||50th of 2014||71.0%||03 / 00||54.87|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) Early Reviews & B.O. Forecast||Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightley||$950.00||Too Soon For Ranking||50.0%||00 / 00||52.67|
|Donnie Brasco (1997)||Al Pacino||$229.30||54th of 1997||84.0%||01 / 00||51.93|
|Nighmare on Elm Street (1984)||Directed by Wes Craven||$65.70||40th of 1984||84.5%||00 / 00||49.41|
|Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005)||Helena Bonham Carter||$154.30||44th of 2005||79.5%||01 / 00||48.80|
|Public Enemies (2009)||Christian Bale & Channing Tatum||$240.20||28th of 2009||67.7%||00 / 00||48.49|
|Ed Wood (1994)||Martin Landau & Bill Murray||$12.55||143rd of 1994||86.0%||02 / 02||46.23|
|Blackmass (2015)||Joel Edgerton||$62.40||78th of 2015||73.5%||00 / 00||44.43|
|Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)||Antonio Banderas & Salma Hayek||$136.60||52nd of 2003||65.0%||00 / 00||43.37|
|What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)||Leonardo DiCaprio||$20.55||115th of 1993||83.0%||01 / 00||42.55|
|Blow (2001)||Penélope Cruz||$124.70||44th of 2001||64.5%||00 / 00||42.51|
|Benny and Joon (1993)||Julianne Moore||$46.33||67th of 1993||71.0%||00 / 00||41.98|
|Don Juan DeMarco (1995)||Marlon Brando & Faye Dunaway||$133.20||59th of 1995||69.5%||01 / 00||39.75|
|Dark Shadows (2012)||Michelle Pfeiffer & Directed by Tim Burton||$259.60||31st of 2012||52.5%||00 / 00||37.83|
|From Hell (2001)||Heather Graham||$111.30||54th of 2001||63.0%||00 / 00||37.69|
|The Lone Ranger (2013)||Armie Hammer||$270.60||30th of 2013||46.0%||02 / 00||36.81|
|Arizona Dream (1995)||Jerry Lewis & Faye Dunaway||$0.02||247th of 1995||78.0%||00 / 00||36.72|
|Cry Baby (1990)||Directed by John Waters||$16.88||105th of 1990||72.0%||00 / 00||36.44|
|Secret Window (2004)||Written by Stephen King||$125.60||67th of 2004||55.5%||00 / 00||36.36|
|Before Night Falls (2000)||Javier Bardem||$13.40||165th of 2000||73.5%||01 / 00||35.96|
|Dead Man (1996)||Robert Mitchum||$1.99||199th of 1996||72.7%||00 / 00||34.48|
|The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (2009)||Heath Ledger & Directed by Terry Gilliam||$69.10||164th of 2009||67.5%||02 / 00||33.90|
|Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)||Directed by Terry Gilliam||$19.66||126th of 1998||61.5%||00 / 00||31.95|
|The Tourist (2010)||Angelina Jolie||$297.60||26th of 2010||40.0%||00 / 00||31.95|
|The Rum Diary (2011)||Amber Heard||$26.10||155th of 2011||60.5%||00 / 00||30.72|
|The Ninth Gate (2000)||Directed by Roman Polanski||$91.90||59th of 1999||53.5%||00 / 00||30.02|
|Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)||Anne Hathaway||$100.50||Too Soon For Ranking||46.0%||00 / 00||27.44|
|Nick of Time (1995)||Christopher Walken||$16.88||129th of 1995||46.0%||00 / 00||24.10|
|Transcendence (2014)||Morgan Freeman||$106.20||61st of 2004||42.5%||00 / 00||23.79|
|The Libertine (2005)||John Malkovich||$14.30||156th of 2004||47.0%||00 / 00||23.13|
|Private Resort (1985)||Rob Morrow||$1.02||175th of 1995||48.5%||00 / 00||23.00|
|Tusk (2014)||Directed byKevin Smith||$1.70||210th of 2014||48.0%||00 / 00||22.91|
|The Man Who Cried (2001)||Cate Blanchett||$1.02||229th of 2001||47.5%||00 / 00||22.51|
|Yoga Hosers (2016)||Directed by Kevin Smith||$0.01||Too Soon For Ranking||44.5%||00 / 00||20.94|
|Jack and Jill (2011)||Adam Sandler & Al Pacino||$159.30||51st of 2011||16.5%||00 / 00||20.08|
|Astronaut's Wife (1999)||Charlize Theron||$32.90||107th of 1999||33.0%||00 / 00||18.29|
|Mortdecai (2015)||Ewan McGregor||$30.40||114th of 2015||32.0%||00 / 00||16.31|
Stats and Possibly Interesting Things From The Above Johnny Depp Table
- Twelve Johnny Depp movies crossed the magical $100 million domestic gross mark. That is a percentage of 25.00% of his movies listed. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006) is his biggest box office hit.
- An average Johnny Depp movie grosses $90.30 million in adjusted box office gross.
- Using RottenTomatoes.com’s 60% fresh meter. 29 of Johnny Depp’s movies are rated as good movies…or 60.40% of his movies. Ed Wood (1994) is his highest rated movie while Mortdecai (2015) was his lowest rated movie.
- Twenty Johnny Depp movies received at least one Oscar® nomination in any category…..or 41.66% of his movies.
- Seven Johnny Depp movies won at least one Oscar® in any category…..or 14.58% of his movies.
- An average Ultimate Movie Rankings (UMR) Score is 40.00. 23 Johnny Depp movies scored higher that average….or 47.91% of his movies. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) got the the highest UMR Score while Mortdecai (2015) got the lowest UMR Score.
Possibly Interesting Facts About Johnny Depp
1. Johnny Depp has been nominated three times for an Oscar® for Best Actor…those roles were in the following movies…2003’s Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, 2004’s Finding Neverland and 2007’s Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
2. Johnny Depp has received 10 Golden Globe® nominations. He won the Golden Globe for Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
3. Johnny Depp and director Tim Burton have made 8 movies together. The first was 1990’s Edward Scissorhands and the last one comes out next year and is called Dark Shadows.
4. Johnny Depp was married to Lori Anne Allison from 1983 to 1985. Depp had two children with French singer-actress Vanessa Paradis….a boy named Jack and a girl named Lily-Rose.
5. Johnny Depp became great friends with the writer Hunter S. Thompson after playing Hunter in 1998’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. 13 years later he would play Hunter again in the 2011 movie The Rum Diary.
6. Speaking of Hunter S. Thompson one of Johnny Depp’s greatest regrets deals with Thompson. One day Depp found an message on his answering machine…it was from Hunter S. Thompson..and it started to ramble on and on so Depp, without listening to the whole message hit save and went to the next message…a couple days later he heard Hunter S. Thompson killed himself…he went back to the answering machine, wanting to hear the message but the message was gone…Depp says he thinks daily about that message and how it ended.
7. After working with Marlon Brando in 1995’s Don Juan DeMarco, Depp decided to follow Brando’s advice and buy an island. The island he bough has 6 beaches and Depp named them after important people in his live. The beach names are Gonzo(Hunter S. Thompson’s nickname), Paradis, Lily-Rose and Jack(his immediate family) and Brando. Makes you wonder what the 6th name is on that island.
8. Not an interesting fact but check out this fun fan letter from fellow movie lover Sunshine625 to Johnny Depp……Sunshine625 sends Johnny Depp a fan letter
Check out Johnny Depp‘s career compared to current and classic actors. Most 100 Million Dollar Movies of All-Time.
If you do a comment….please ignore the email address and website section.